Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ely1

The Best Journey Always Leads Us Home

Sounds like you have a short in the system somewhere. Possibly a loose wire worked itself loose in a socket.

We had someone come round to pick something up I was selling (forget what it was now) and 10 minutes before they arrived, all power went out with a bang. I reset the MCBs outside and it went again with a bang and light over in the corner of the study area. I turned everything off in the study area by the plugs and reset the MCB and it all worked fine. I slowly turned the sockets back on in the study area until a loud bang, sparks inside the socket and all power was off again. Did the same turnoff->turn on one at a time again on the 6 way extension connected to that socket until I narrowed it down to the power lead for my PC. Changed the lead and no more power off. The faulty lead was moulded with no sign of wear or damage. Threw it away and have been good ever since.

Have you tried unplugging everything rather than just turning it all off. Standby can have quite a power draw on the circuit. is it the same MCB (the block that replaces where fuses used to be in the consumer unit usually by the front door) that trips every time. If so then working out which circuit it is connected to should allow you to use the other ones. You can then work through the devices on that circuit.

I recon it must be your sub overloading the circuit, maybe you should sell it :P:D.

RB

HAHA! Nice one, RB.

Yeah, I'm going through the switches now, and can bet it was the plumber who hit something while they were drilling through my kitchen wall into the bathroom - the tripping started after that, but was resolved for a while, and now it's back again - it's the same switch in the DB box that causes the trip though. Hmmm.

Not too handy with electrical stuff, but thankfully, a phone call to my super-awesome electrician had him here in 15 minutes. :D He's working on it now. I should really find a way to express my gratitude. <3 my electrician! :wub:

Btw, I'm loving the sub with Band of Brothers - was watching it last night and it was awesome! :D

- Ely

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

That should really the official uniform of the Obedient Wives Club~ :rolleyes:

Why bother, there would never be any members :P.

RB

Yeah, I'm going through the switches now, and can bet it was the plumber who hit something while they were drilling through my kitchen wall into the bathroom - the tripping started after that, but was resolved for a while, and now it's back again - it's the same switch in the DB box that causes the trip though. Hmmm.

If he has drilled through the wall and hit a cable and then put through a metal pipe then the pipe could be live which is a serious matter. I would imagine he may have nicked a cable causing a short then. If the MCB is just for a single circuit to the bathroom then the rest of the stuff should be ok in the house. If a pipe is touching the wires then any movement of the pipe may be shorting the circuit so water flow for example could cause the MCB to trip. That sure is a fun one to try and figure out if you didn't know about the drilling :D.

Btw, I'm loving the sub with Band of Brothers - was watching it last night and it was awesome! :D

Ep2, turn up the interview so you can hear them talking at a nice level then watch the whole episode without touching the volume... fantastic. Get revenge for the barking dogs. Still got to get round to watching Bastogne.

Still have to get round to watching Pacific when I get my hands on it. Watched the Perl Harbour DVD recently (only the second half as the first half is soooooo boring) and even on just DVD it was pretty good with the Pearl Harbour attack.

RB

If it works I will buy up all the stock and sell them myself. Special discount to RT member :good:.

RB

bah, fine .... i'll just corner the market for beer and rose tinted glasses.

Or how about a cheaper alternative for Bondi? Melon or something? My mom tried it with a huge pomelo :lol: but none of the pets were very keen models~

catmelonhead.jpg

- Ely

hahaha i love this pic too though it's been around for a long time! and your mom really tried that!?? :o

so is the tripping problem resolved?

hahaha i love this pic too though it's been around for a long time! and your mom really tried that!?? :o

so is the tripping problem resolved?

LOL yes!! I showed her the pic quite a while ago because I said it was an eerie resemblance to my younger brother's new haircut, and she laughed, so that night we carved a pomelo and tried it on the various pets! They were not pleased. Mom and I had fun though ;)

Hmm, not sure how/why but at least it's working now. The electrician said to call him should it happen again and he'll rush down to fix it again - he said it stems from the common bathroom (where the plumbers were drilling into from the kitchen...) Oh well.

- Ely

bah, fine .... i'll just corner the market for beer and rose tinted glasses.

Oh JCase, you're so glass half-empty :P

- Ely

Oh JCase, you're so glass half-empty :P

- Ely

His wife probably drunk the other half when he wasn't looking :D.

RB

catmelonhead.jpg

- Ely

this totally cracks me up!!

do you know how unwilling she is!! hahaha

and boy look how the place turned out to be!!

if i may sum it up, free-spirited whimsical eclectic look!

is been a long drawn eventful journey albeit the best one to lead you where the heart is - home.

is a wrap!

this totally cracks me up!!

do you know how unwilling she is!! hahaha

and boy look how the place turned out to be!!

if i may sum it up, free-spirited whimsical eclectic look!

is been a long drawn eventful journey albeit the best one to lead you where the heart is - home.

is a wrap!

Not quite yet, Ne0. Remember that it's only about 90% done. There are Phase 2 pics yet! Not so sure if it's free-spirited - too much cleaning to be done daily to be free-spirited!! :P

- Ely

haa.. initially was wondering, wont they jump out?

then realise there's glass fencing.. :P

Yeah, footprint, we deliberately replaced the railings with glass and hacked off the planter boxes so that the pets (and us) can have an unobstructed view whilst still keeping them safe. We don't have any apartments facing us so we can afford the lack of privacy :)

- Ely

Yeah, footprint, we deliberately replaced the railings with glass and hacked off the planter boxes so that the pets (and us) can have an unobstructed view whilst still keeping them safe. We don't have any apartments facing us so we can afford the lack of privacy :)

- Ely

Just need to keep it clean to avoid the fungus growing. Not too bad a price to pay TBH for suck a great view.

RB