Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Is it true that blinds are easier to clean? :dancingqueen:

which is more ex blinds or curtains?

Edited by oasis

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Is it true that blinds are easier to clean? :dunno:

which is more ex blinds or curtains?

Roller blinds are indeed very low maintenance, because when it's not in use, it's rolled up in this roller (what a tongue twister there) channel away from view, dust, etc. Being stored away means it does not gather dust like drapes. And it will also retain its colour best because it's stored away from direct sunlight, unlike drapes. You only clean the fabric with a damp cloth that's squeezed very dry, you probably only need to do this once a year for Spring cleaning. Once in awhile, you can just vacuum it. But honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's not vacuumed all year round!

I can't comment on the cost comparison between blinds and drapes, because I don't remember. If you choose to have a motorised roller blind, controlled by a wireless remote control (like the aircon remote control), there is added cost.

Roman blinds on the other hand, is harder to manage. It's prettier in dressing up the windows of course, because when it's pulled up, it has a cascading effect i.e. 3 folds. Which means the window is always partially covered from the top. Whereas for a roller blind, it can be rolled completely away. For anyone considering roman blinds (it's great for bay windows, bedroom windows), make sure you ask for the more expensive Japanese mechanism. I have used a cheapo brand from Taiwan before, and it was so hard to draw the blinds up. I also want to mention that there are 4 metal strips that run across the roman blinds. These give the roman blinds the weight to pull the fabric straight. Over time, I find that if you have very posh and heavy material for your roman blinds, these metal strips will warp, and your roman blinds will never be the same again i.e lopsided.

Poor service from Window View Interior Design and Decoration Co.

I got wooden blinds (Vietcis brand) from Window View Interior Design and Decoration Co. Blk 2022, Bt Batok St. 23, #02-118, and asked the co. to install them in our home in Mar 08.

Good points: they took off their shows when they entered into my home. They used a vacuum cleaner to suck up the concrete dust by placing its hose next to the drill bit while drilling into the walls.

Bad points: They,

1. Used the wrong 50mm wooden helmets (covers top part of the blinds & exposed screws of the L-brackets) instead of the 70mm ones. They replaced it only after I had incessantly asked for them before that they kept saying that is what the supplier gave them. The new helmets in my living room are of the wrong colour – teak instead of zen.

2. Secured the L-brackets – which have 2 mounting holes - to wall by using only one screw instead of two. They secured it with two screws after I had incessantly asked them to do so. Before that they kept insisting that the blinds are secure.

3. Did not show up for an appointment after Mr Lim has fixed it with me

4. Wanted to charge me for giving me a defective blind – one strip has two large cracks in it – instead of replacing it for me including the helmets in point 1.

5. Gave dirty – sooty – blinds eventhough they came wrapped in plastic.

Tony Ku, boss, didn’t reply to my letter about his installers’ poor work attitude; they could have got the job done in one visit instead of four. When I smsed him about my letter. His neutral reply was to “thank me for my feedback, they were noted and he hoped to service me again”. When I smsed him (this time cc it to the interior designer who recommended him) if that is official reply to my letter? His replied changed to he is now “sorry” for what had happened and had “warned” his installers about their attitude.

If you are happy with the level of service mentioned above, please use this company’s services after all Tony has “warned” his installers about their poor work attitude and therefore their customers will face no more problems from now on.

Hi everyone!

Roller blinds have lot of advantages.Some of the crucial advantages are

* Roller blinds will reduce the sunlight entering the room which can damage furnishings

* Decreases the heat entering the room and reduces discomfort in summer months

* Roller blinds offer UV protection as they can comprise of solar film materials – keeping cool in summer and warm in winter

The only disadvantage with roller blinds is

* They can be difficult to clean if not made with a wipe clean fabric

Bind are usually cheaper though it also depends on your requirement (amount of light it permits etc). For cheap ones, you can try IKEA. They're not bad.

I am also considering roller blinds. However, I had a bad experience with Roman blinds:

1) The Velcro that attached the fabric to the track will not be sticky after a few yrs / washes (pls do not tell me no need to wash, we wash every half yr & it is SOOO dirty!!) So the fabric will keep dropping off

2) During a storm when there are strong winds, the metal rods of the roman blinds will hit agst the window grilles, making very loud noises. This is esp irritating when its at night.

So, do consider these 2 factors carefully if u are keen on roman blinds.

Can anyone tell me if roller blinds will also give that kind of loud noises? I know u do not have as many metal rods for roller blinds but does the bottom not hit agst the window frames during strong winds?

Do the cords / roll up & down mechanism of the roller blind get broken easily?

Edited by 3monster

hi 3monster,

ive got a friend's uncle is doing roller blind, u want to try calling and ask???

I have asked Ben from MGL curtains, he said yes, the bottom can hit & make noises .;(

Your friend's uncle makes roller blinds? How are his rates? Can PM me? TIA

I have asked Ben from MGL curtains, he said yes, the bottom can hit & make noises .;(

Your friend's uncle makes roller blinds? How are his rates? Can PM me? TIA

ive already pm u her contact, you can try calling her.. n i dont know how's the rate going, so sorry about it..

Hey Friend!

I have ordered blinds from 247blinds.co.uk. I really satisfied with their services. So i suggest them as a best vendor for buying blinds with discount prices. They are also offering variety of blinds on each type! So you can visit their site for the same.