Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
panadoll

About Chengal Wood?

Hi,

Chengai wood is really good however currently in the market it is very hard to find mature Chengal as the demand for it is too high. However Chengai is a solid wood by itself, it will tend to have crack line seen after installation for maybe around 1 year plus. And if it get attack by termite, the whole piece of wood will be gone. thats for sure.

If your planter area is say 40sqft, the price should not be above $1.2k.(inclusive of GST).

I have 2 Bedroom with planter and 1 Planter box, Total of 106sqft and cost me about $3k (inclusive of GST). But i didnt use Chengai wood. Mine is from Heveatech done by Floor Option.

From what i know from my contractor, its from rubber trees and its has 10 years of warranty against termite.It is 10 layers of treated wood compress into 1.

For the min area for planter,i do heard about it. It must be at least a certain sqft if not it will be charge a lum sum.

Maybe you will want to try Heveatech. Since its cheaper and better than Chengai (:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

Can you recommend the right wood for my new house?

Area 1 : backyard

Approximately 400sqft for outdoor dining. No shelter. Need light color wood decking with least maintenance.

Area 2 : Room 1

Approximately 300sqft with skirting. Not timber laminate with those poppy feeling.

Area 3 : MBR

Approximately 400sqft. Preferably parque to match the walkway.

Hi Guys,

Our company is a ONE STOP PARQUET & TIMBER DECKING SHOP following are our services :-

1) sanding & re-varnishing of parquet floor.

2) supply & install of timber decking. ( types of timber Chengai, Ironwood & Teak wood )

3) We also provide color-matching services to have your current timber flooring color to the look you want.

4) Parquet maintance solutions.

Pls feel free to contact us at this no. +65 64814222

Hi,

Can you recommend the right wood for my new house?

Area 1 : backyard

Approximately 400sqft for outdoor dining. No shelter. Need light color wood decking with least maintenance.

Area 2 : Room 1

Approximately 300sqft with skirting. Not timber laminate with those poppy feeling.

Area 3 : MBR

Approximately 400sqft. Preferably parque to match the walkway.

Hi,

Below is what i can suggest base on my little experience while getting mine done.

Area 1: Like i have mention earlier, you can try heaveatech as it give 10 years warranty and good workmanship.

Area 2 & 3: If you like those woodish feeling but not those poppy feeling, you can try laminate flooring as well.

It is heat resistance,abrasion resistance,water and termite resistance as well.

I got it for 15 years warranty.

My whole place is done by my contractor and their service are good, so far i have yet to far any issue.

(: hope it helps.

hello,

how about using balau wood? is it suitable for outdoor decking? i am quite confuse with the range of woods too.

by the way, anyone knows the requirement by NEA for HDB planter bed decking? Must every piece of wood be removable or only those at the drainage area?

Thanks alot for the replies!

hello,

how about using balau wood? is it suitable for outdoor decking? i am quite confuse with the range of woods too.

by the way, anyone knows the requirement by NEA for HDB planter bed decking? Must every piece of wood be removable or only those at the drainage area?

Thanks alot for the replies!

Hi Eustoma,

Standard requirement for planter decking is that no drilling of planter internal walls and decking panels should be removable.

You may contact me as per my signature for further enquiries!

Hi,

I have signed up 2&3 with a flooring company. For 1, still stuck between composite or wood decking? I will most likely go for real wood (smaller gap and better feel). The next headache is which type of wood??!!!

Can PM me contacts for heaveatech or any website?

Anyone done with Pine wood for non-sheltered outdoor decking?

Hi,

Below is what i can suggest base on my little experience while getting mine done.

Area 1: Like i have mention earlier, you can try heaveatech as it give 10 years warranty and good workmanship.

Area 2 & 3: If you like those woodish feeling but not those poppy feeling, you can try laminate flooring as well.

It is heat resistance,abrasion resistance,water and termite resistance as well.

I got it for 15 years warranty.

My whole place is done by my contractor and their service are good, so far i have yet to far any issue.

(: hope it helps.

Hi all,

I just bump into this thread.....great to know from you all on Chang ai wood. Currently, am going to renovate my house, I got a quote from ID

Supply & install new solid polycarbonate roofing with solid chengal wood structure include to alter & dismantle

existing roofing ( 12' x 8' ) - $3,750.00

Anyone can advise me if this is expensive?

Million thank

Hi all,

I just bump into this thread.....great to know from you all on Chang ai wood. Currently, am going to renovate my house, I got a quote from ID

Supply & install new solid polycarbonate roofing with solid chengal wood structure include to alter & dismantle

existing roofing ( 12' x 8' ) - $3,750.00

Anyone can advise me if this is expensive?

Million thank

HI

Am new to this forum too, but thanks to my less than capable main con, I learnt many things the last 2 months..

Have u found your answer yet?

Hi all,

currently my contractor is installing chengal wood to my planter area. but first: there are a lot of small holes on the wood. second: He paint the wood with nippon timbercoat which is a full brown paint (not using timberlac to have the woodlining remain, to cover up the holes.)

Is this suppose to be the way?

Feel like I am getting conned.

Edited by shido85

I have a Chengai bench from 10 years ago, and it is still good. However, I made a mistake in painting it some years back, so now when I want to stain it (to let the natural wood texture come through), I am not able to unless I remove all the paint. I used an electric sanding machine to remove the paint layer but to no avail. It is therefore best not to paint it.

Shido85, I am guessing your chengai has holes because they are from somewhere and being reused.

Many people say that it is hard to find old chengai now, and that new chengai are young, and will crack easily. It is true, I tell you.

For my previous condo, Evorich recommended me some kind of Palm wood instead. I used it for the balcony. Two years later, no problem.

For my current place Evorich recommended me Accoya wood decking with 50 years warranty. Again, no problem so far.

My landscape contractor saw my Accoya wood decking and told me confidently that it will not last. He says must use Chengai. So, I let him do my outdoor patio with chengai wood. Few weeks later, a few planks cracked. He says it is normal, and that the gaps will join back. They did not. He came and sand them, and re-stained. Happened again, and again and again. Last week, happened again. I sms him, he has not replied me for few days.

Seems like you can't get good Chengai anymore.

I also used Evorich for laminate flooring some time back, as I was tired of our teakwood parquet. They are a horror story. Told me that their flooring is better than my hardwood, more beautiful. I went to their showroom and indeed it looked good, so I contracted them. On the day of installation, their workmanship is so poor I regretted immediately. I learned that showroom is very different because workmanship can be more important than the material itself. Then, they removed my teakwood skirting and put up the laminate flooring. But they could not nail their own skirting properly (it popped up within weeks). As I have a stair case, the worker said he did not know how to do it, and left it unfinished for a year, leaving their laminate wood in my store room. I was lost what to do while I had to wait for them to figure how to cover the stair case.

After I called and called and called, they said their sales man ran away. I did not know what to do. My floor was unfinished. So I got my own contractor and had to buy new teakwood and nailed back the original. So my floor became half laminate from them and half the original teak wood.

Then months later they came and asked for final payment. I didn't want them to complete the job anymore as their floor board was really ugly and I had to use tapes to tape down some parts. So I offered to pay the balance minus what I paid the contractor to finish. He took me to court for not wanting to pay. I won the case.

Crazy people. Wasted my time, money and effort. I have remove all of the laminate flooring. I got conned. Hardwood is still so much nicer. Unfortunately, after the laminate went on, my almost perfect teakwood suffered some damages, so in one room, 40% of the teakwood has to be replaced, which costs me thousands. Gosh, this stupid dishonesty on their part has cost me literally tens of thousands. Go for hard wood any time compared to anything else that look alike. In the long run, it is much cheaper and more beautiful too. I was sold on the fact that the downtime is less if we choose laminate or vinyl as we were already staying in the house. but honestly, that is such a stupid decision on my part to believe it.

Edited by 2sppaamm