Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shumin

The Pursuit Of Happiness

Hi all,

My husband and I recently got rom-ed in Jun'10.

We have been saving hard for a house for 1.5 yrs and finally could afford one.

After afew months of house-hunting, crazy COVs and greedy property agents... we finally found THE HOUSE !

From 1st viewing to 2nd viewing, signing and exercising of the OTP are all done within 24hrs.

I am not sure how fate or coincidence plays a role, our agent and I actually share the same birth date.

Words aside, our floorplan:

Layout.jpg

We have not started sourcing for a ID/contractor yet but I think we should start soon.

After reading blogs like neubie and supersimon27, we have alot of homework to do. :P

My husband would like to have a 9ft pool table, i'm such a good wife to allow that. hahaha

I would really love to have a island, moveable anot ,in the kitchen.

And due to the small MBR space, we are thinking of using bedroom 2 for WIW cum studyroom.

We are thinking of keeping the living room tiles, i dislike the bedrooms' but my hubby think they are nice.

To incorporate the pool table in our home, seems like the only way is to level the balcony.

My only worry is that we would not be able to find the same tiles and the hall would look weird with 2 types of tiles.

The kitchen and 2 toilets would have to be overhauled.

I am thinking of not tiling the kitchen walls, is this a bad idea?

And to only have bottom cabinets, will the trunking on the wall be super obvious and unsightly?

I feel like a kid with 十万个为什么?! :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

My husband and I recently got rom-ed in Jun'10.

We have been saving hard for a house for 1.5 yrs and finally could afford one.

After afew months of house-hunting, crazy COVs and greedy property agents... we finally found THE HOUSE !

From 1st viewing to 2nd viewing, signing and exercising of the OTP are all done within 24hrs.

I am not sure how fate or coincidence plays a role, our agent and I actually share the same birth date.

Words aside, our floorplan:

Layout.jpg

We have not started sourcing for a ID/contractor yet but I think we should start soon.

After reading blogs like neubie and supersimon27, we have alot of homework to do. :P

My husband would like to have a 9ft pool table, i'm such a good wife to allow that. hahaha

I would really love to have a island, moveable anot ,in the kitchen.

And due to the small MBR space, we are thinking of using bedroom 2 for WIW cum studyroom.

We are thinking of keeping the living room tiles, i dislike the bedrooms' but my hubby think they are nice.

To incorporate the pool table in our home, seems like the only way is to level the balcony.

My only worry is that we would not be able to find the same tiles and the hall would look weird with 2 types of tiles.

The kitchen and 2 toilets would have to be overhauled.

I am thinking of not tiling the kitchen walls, is this a bad idea?

And to only have bottom cabinets, will the trunking on the wall be super obvious and unsightly?

I feel like a kid with 十万个为什么?! :D

hey, morning and welcome to tblog! yr tblog reminds me of the movie by Will Smith and son.

i got a resale too after a long long search for the house, so i can definitely feel your excitement.

promise you and am sure of it that this is gonna be d a r n exciting time to see the transformation of your house ya.

not to mention, renotalk has hordes of information!

btw, yr house has very nice layout with the rooms out of view from the main door.

but imho, the kitchen (really really lengthy i must say) seems tight to have an island incorporated in it though. but am sure you two and your id/contractor can brainstorm over it.

agree, tough to find back old tiles esp if it's a resale. but if really a 9ft pool table, yea, you have to level the balcony to fit the table.

fyi, i didnt tile my kitchen walls too. and right from start, i told my id i only wanted bottom cabinets only.

your floorplan doesnt show where the pipes and trunkings are in the kitchen but i do see there's a slight recess on the 7m run.

perhaps you box it up the entire length and hopefully can cover trunkings and pipes. that's what i did anyway. ;)

once again, enjoy yr stay in renotalk!

Played with Floorplanner, Sims 3 is alot more fun. :P

Floorplanner.jpg

Thanks ne0mesis for your suggestion. i LOVE your kitchen.

Hey diva79, i'll be reading your Tblog tonight when i get home. heee

tks. i love my kitchen when is on display.

i loathe my kitchen when it comes to cleaning it!

is a love hate relationship. ha

saw yr layout. is it a proposed layout or you were just testing out the floorplanner?

jus some pointers you may want to consider (in case you this layout is what you have in mind);

1. the current living rm tv is right next to balcony. may have some glare or reflection when watching tv since is so near to the window.

so i suppose day and night curtain for living room is a must?

2. pool table is near to kitchen. does grease and smell stay on yr hubby's precious table?

3. make sure you're comfortable with the space on the bar island seating and the bomb shelter opening.

otherwise, you have to move the bar stool away each time before getting to open the bomb shelter door fully.

4. having a good kitchen work triangle will make your work easier. for a L shape kitchen layout, consider to switch yr fridge and sink.

i.e. try to have the sink in the middle of the fridge and hob.

5. imho, i will go with 1 bathtub only. given our lifestyle, bathtub showering seems so elusive! haha..

you wouldnt want to invest in a bathtub but realised is heavily under utilised ya.

6. wouldnt you want to switch the study and the mbr so that the mbr gets to enjoy the toilet?

hope it helps!

having a conventional type of island is a challenge for your rectangular kitchen...how abt a moveable island???create an opening in your bottom cabinet so that u can move and tuck the island into it...pull it out whenever needed and keep when not...so u can still get to have the centre space for walking...

having a conventional type of island is a challenge for your rectangular kitchen...how abt a moveable island???create an opening in your bottom cabinet so that u can move and tuck the island into it...pull it out whenever needed and keep when not...so u can still get to have the centre space for walking...

From the floor planner, can't see the island leh. Hehe....

we're scraping the idea of the island although i'll really love to have one. i guess being practical will be kinder to our wallets. sigh.

Hi,

how much u got ur flat? Its it in jurong west? as ur layout is the same as mine.

yup. it's in JW. 64X series. valuation was at 440k and we paid less than 15k cov.

i kinda considered it a steal to console myself. :bleah:

our future neighbour actually just sold their house, don't tell me you're my new neighbour!

we're scraping the idea of the island although i'll really love to have one. i guess being practical will be kinder to our wallets. sigh.

agree.. if really wanna have a kitchen island, lazybum9's idea is nt bad at all!

the reno is gonna be there for the next few years, so do something that you really want ya!

work around the restrictions and cost. am sure some brainstorming with your id will inject new ideas

agree.. if really wanna have a kitchen island, lazybum9's idea is nt bad at all!

the reno is gonna be there for the next few years, so do something that you really want ya!

work around the restrictions and cost. am sure some brainstorming with your id will inject new ideas

totally agree! it's $$ well spent when u get to see things around the house done the way u love...

for the moveable island, not sure why it's gg to load ur wallet much cos without the island, u still got to do cabinet...so the cost of that portion of cabinet can be sub with say a stainless steel moveable island...lower section of island can be storage too...do talk it thru with ur ID... :)

totally agree! it's $$ well spent when u get to see things around the house done the way u love...

for the moveable island, not sure why it's gg to load ur wallet much cos without the island, u still got to do cabinet...so the cost of that portion of cabinet can be sub with say a stainless steel moveable island...lower section of island can be storage too...do talk it thru with ur ID... :)

(post = gone. have to retype :bangwall:)

Hey guys, thank you for your suggestions. will definately take them into consideration.

we are hoping to take up as little loan as possible.

budgeted 25k for renovations and another 5k for lights and fixtures.

we plan to do up the necessity and then spend the extra $$ (if there's even any left. haha) on our wants.

let's hope the ID/Contractor we engage can do some magic to the quotation. heart2.gif

kitchen inspiration:

greyish black tiles, white painted walls.

upper-cabinet-less. white laminates, ss counter top & backsplash.

tall cabinet beside fridge to house oven and a microwave.

m220066825.jpg

random inspiration:

m219658481.jpg

z218068481.jpgz216986579.jpg

just sent our first quotation-asking email out yesterday to Aian Furniture & Renovation Contractor.

typed a whole bunch of text into the mail, am not even sure if it made sense.

let's hope i'll get a reply. :P

how do you guys ask for quotations anyway?

is it more advisable to ask for quotations now or after fengshui audit?

(post = gone. have to retype :bangwall:)

Hey guys, thank you for your suggestions. will definately take them into consideration.

we are hoping to take up as little loan as possible.

budgeted 25k for renovations and another 5k for lights and fixtures.

we plan to do up the necessity and then spend the extra $$ (if there's even any left. haha) on our wants.

let's hope the ID/Contractor we engage can do some magic to the quotation. heart2.gif

kitchen inspiration:

greyish black tiles, white painted walls.

upper-cabinet-less. white laminates, ss counter top & backsplash.

tall cabinet beside fridge to house oven and a microwave.

m220066825.jpg

random inspiration:

m219658481.jpg

z218068481.jpgz216986579.jpg

just sent our first quotation-asking email out yesterday to Aian Furniture & Renovation Contractor.

typed a whole bunch of text into the mail, am not even sure if it made sense.

let's hope i'll get a reply. :P

how do you guys ask for quotations anyway?

is it more advisable to ask for quotations now or after fengshui audit?

Love the blackboard at dining!

Better to ask for quotation after fengshui audit. Best is to meet the ID at your place.

Dream vs fengshui sometimes will clash... i gave up alot of idea and design becos of fengshui...

Quote based on layout is quite waste of time :x Meet ID straight at your house, they can give beta quote since they're there to take extact measurement too. Hope this help...

i saw some photos before on "pool table cum dining table".

its quite lovely actually. Maybe u can consider combining it to save space...

if u plan to DIY chalkboard, its quite easy actually. Can get the paint from Spotlight and DIY.

The inconvinient part of no top cabinets is that there is no dish drainer. For most top cabinets, they can put a dish drainer over the sink and let it slowly drip dry. Apart from this, no top cabinets will give the kitchen a "no clutter look", more neat! :)

i saw some photos before on "pool table cum dining table".

its quite lovely actually. Maybe u can consider combining it to save space...

if u plan to DIY chalkboard, its quite easy actually. Can get the paint from Spotlight and DIY.

The inconvinient part of no top cabinets is that there is no dish drainer. For most top cabinets, they can put a dish drainer over the sink and let it slowly drip dry. Apart from this, no top cabinets will give the kitchen a "no clutter look", more neat! :)

Hi gimz... Do u know if the paint for the DIY Chalkboard can be easily "remove" or I can easily paint it over with another coat of normal paint?

My unit is also at the JW 64X series…similar layout as yours, but without balcony area. The lengthy kitchen has certainly given me massive headache for nightsss to think of the layout