Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
onehubster

Washing Machine: Top Load Or Front Load

Dear all,

I have been using an Elba front loader washing machine, and although it still works after 15 years, it has not aged well..

Which is what is to be expected after an appliance has been in use for the past 15 years.

However, I have to close the water tap, otherwise the water will continue to leak non-stop on the kitchen floor.

I am still in favor of front load washing machines, because the clothes appear to be less crumpled, even after the spin dry process.

On the other hand, my friend who uses a Hitachi top loader, I notice that the clothes are much more crumpled after the washing process..

Moving into a new home, I invested in a Meile Washer (front load) and Dryer set, after reading up on other reviews in renotalk and other forums.

Although the price is really expensive..neither do I have a high income..I still consider it a worthwhile investment which will hopefully last for the next 20 years.

The saleslady at CK Tangs was very helpful, and I also had a 6% rebate for Citibank card users, which meant that I could use it to purchase other electrical appliances.

The Meile team has so far prvided excellent service, their consultant explained its uses and functions, how to maintain the machine etc.

Both washer & dryer are extremely quiet. Even during the spin dry process, the vibrations are minimal..I imagine an engine that purrs gently..

The drum is unique, since they had their design patented, it definately comes with less holes and a different surface compared with the interior drums of other machines I have seen.

Washing laundry with Meile is like a dream..while I realise this may sound a bit much..but for housewifes who have to cook & clean everyday after work..

laundry tends to pile up..so it is especially helpful to know one can depend on such a machine. I never have to hand wash ever again..

since their drums are said to be so gentle that one can wash rose petals without tearing them..very curious to test this theory..

While I realise this is topic is for front or top laoding machines, for readers considering getting a dryer, Meile is the best brand currently on the market.

It really does remove all the lint and dust from all clothes, bedsheets, soft toys..etc. Plus it has an ironing function for fabrics that are wrinkle free,

it definately saves a lot of time on ironing (especially our husband's shirts!)..in fact..the only laundry that I iron is .... hmm..my iron seems pretty idle these days!

My vote is definately a front load machine. Have seen the difference from a top load.

Both serve their function, but in terms of aesthetics, and taking care of your laundry in the long term, I'd go for the front load.

The only minor inconvenience is that one has to bend over to retieve the wash..but I load it all in a basket so it's easier on one's back.

And while any brand on the market can claim that their "diamond drum", ion washer is the best..and I have no doubt it will serve the household well.

If one can afford it, go for Meile. Their qualty and service are unbeatable. I myself took some time to get used to the fact that I paid such a price for an appliance,

but after using it, I was convinced that I had made the right choice. We use such appliances at least once, twice weekly so in the long run, it is worth the investment.

I am considering getting their steamer/oven for cooking, although the price point is definately a factor.

Btw, I looked at a lot of washing machines, and read quite a few forums (does not make me an expert, but I did make an informed choice)

from the prices I saw, Meile is not the most expensive washer out there. If you purchase it separately from the showroom, then yes.

But if you purchase a washer & dryer set, you will see the savings in the long run. I'd rather pay $2.5K for a Meile washer than pay the same price for some crystal studded machine. Hey..I'm very particular about aesthetics, must look good and function well. But crystals? It doesn't realy add on to the functions for me..

I believe in paying for good quality, function and aesthetics. But on the other hand, a top brand may not always have good quality.

Thus it is better to do one's research. Fortunately, there are brands that achieve excellent standards on function, and quality. The aesthetics is a bonus.

Am just an ordinary housewife..not associated with Meile in any way.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Boefje,

So far after using the machine for about 5 months, this is what I can conclude.

Upsides

1. It is very quiet in operations. I have to listen for the beeper to tell me it is finished. I can't even hear the spinning action when I am in the living room. The top loaders I used before, I could hear some forms of thumping and vibrating noises.

2. I do appreciate the hot water it produces as I have not linked the hot water system to the washing area. The load comes out nice and clean.

3. The Time manager functions are user friendly and easy to use.

4. The chime/beeper is pleasant to the ears.

5. The spin cycles are fast enough to wring the clothes really dry.

6. I don't know if it is that energy saving or water saving but from the specs it seems to be good.

7. Aesthetically pleasing.

Downside

1. The spinning action can be really fast, so wash your delicate in a bag or choose an appropriate cycle.

2. Top loaders have faster washing cycles.

Personally I am glad I bought the 8 kilos. I don't believe in stuffing the machine to the maximum as it will hinder washing effectiveness. Every week for our clothes, we wash them in two loads. Initially I thought I could do it in one cycle being a bigger machine. So it is something you might want to consider.

The hot topic: Bosch versus Electrolux.

I have not owned or used a Bosch before. Thus I can't do a fair comparison. I can conclude by saying I have no post purchase dissonance on buying the Electrolux to date. It works very well, well above my expectations.

Hi EmptyDivided,

What's the model of your Electrolux? Is your drum inclined?

I'm thinking of getting Vapur Time Manager (EWF14821) or ICON (EWN14991). Does Electrolux comes with load sensing and foam detection function?

I'm comparing between a couple of top load washers..

LG WFT806DD, Hitachi SF-95KJS and Toshiba AW-D980SM..

LG got inverter direct drive and 6 motion wash..design looks sleek..10yrs motor wty

Hitachi can choose from 3 spin speed but using conventional belt system..seems gd for a gentle wash?..10yrs motor wty

Toshiba got inverter direct drive...5yrs motor wty

any users of the 3 washers can comment?

Oh, u have the electrolux with time manager?

I want to buy the 6.5kg model. So far, how is ur review?

Hi Boefje,

So far after using the machine for about 5 months, this is what I can conclude.

Upsides

1. It is very quiet in operations. I have to listen for the beeper to tell me it is finished. I can't even hear the spinning action when I am in the living room. The top loaders I used before, I could hear some forms of thumping and vibrating noises.

2. I do appreciate the hot water it produces as I have not linked the hot water system to the washing area. The load comes out nice and clean.

3. The Time manager functions are user friendly and easy to use.

4. The chime/beeper is pleasant to the ears.

5. The spin cycles are fast enough to wring the clothes really dry.

6. I don't know if it is that energy saving or water saving but from the specs it seems to be good.

7. Aesthetically pleasing.

Downside

1. The spinning action can be really fast, so wash your delicate in a bag or choose an appropriate cycle.

2. Top loaders have faster washing cycles.

Personally I am glad I bought the 8 kilos. I don't believe in stuffing the machine to the maximum as it will hinder washing effectiveness. Every week for our clothes, we wash them in two loads. Initially I thought I could do it in one cycle being a bigger machine. So it is something you might want to consider.

The hot topic: Bosch versus Electrolux.

I have not owned or used a Bosch before. Thus I can't do a fair comparison. I can conclude by saying I have no post purchase dissonance on buying the Electrolux to date. It works very well, well above my expectations.

Personally, I just bought a front loader. reasons why;

- The hot water function is good for better cleaning. It is especially useful when you are going to have kids.

- The technology in front loaders is better researched. You seldom see any breakthroughs for toploaders. Having said that, top loaders do last for a very long time. I had two.

- Aesthetically it is very much nicer to look at.

- You have the option of stacking it up.

- Clothes washing is much gentler.

- Water used in Fls is less than toploaders. I am using the Electrolux which has time manager. I can adjust the time for very short washes. So electricity wise, consumption is about the same.

- Spin cycles reach up to 1400 rpms. This is good for towels and jeans, takes a shorter time to dry. Saves electricity on the dryer.

Oh, u have the electrolux with time manager?

I want to buy the 6.5kg model. So far, how is ur review?

Personally, I just bought a front loader. reasons why;

- The hot water function is good for better cleaning. It is especially useful when you are going to have kids.

- The technology in front loaders is better researched. You seldom see any breakthroughs for toploaders. Having said that, top loaders do last for a very long time. I had two.

- Aesthetically it is very much nicer to look at.

- You have the option of stacking it up.

- Clothes washing is much gentler.

- Water used in Fls is less than toploaders. I am using the Electrolux which has time manager. I can adjust the time for very short washes. So electricity wise, consumption is about the same.

- Spin cycles reach up to 1400 rpms. This is good for towels and jeans, takes a shorter time to dry. Saves electricity on the dryer.

Front load washer takes longer time to complete the wash cycle and is not recommended for those who have back problem. Also, you cannot add in more clothes in the middle of the wash.

Top load is nosier and vibrates a lot. I don't like it cos it damages the clothes easily due to the spinning mechanism, unless you use gentle/ delicate cycle. But that will extend the wash & spin cycle time and consumes more electricity.

Hi pal,

Just to share some info abt washers keke..... :)

Top loader washer (drum/tub spinning in the horizontal axis)

- Uses more water as it need to fill up the tub (full) before it'll start the washing (full load)

- Save electricity as there isn't any heater in the washer.

- Will stretch yr T shirt in the vertical direction. After spin dry... :o

Front loader washer. (drum/tub spinning in the vertical axis)

- use less water as it'll not fill up the drum before it start washing. Only fill abt 1/3 of the drum. Using droping method to wash.

- will use more electricity as there is a heater inside the washer. But on the other hand u can always turn off the heater...hee...

- will not stretch yr clothes.

Hope this helps ;)

:drunk: pal

Yeah, your explanation more clear than mine = )

Why the front loader come with heater? is it for the dryer? what if i only buy washer without dryer, will it still come with heater?

Hi pal,

Just to share some info abt washers keke..... :)

Top loader washer (drum/tub spinning in the horizontal axis)

- Uses more water as it need to fill up the tub (full) before it'll start the washing (full load)

- Save electricity as there isn't any heater in the washer.

- Will stretch yr T shirt in the vertical direction. After spin dry... :o

Front loader washer. (drum/tub spinning in the vertical axis)

- use less water as it'll not fill up the drum before it start washing. Only fill abt 1/3 of the drum. Using droping method to wash.

- will use more electricity as there is a heater inside the washer. But on the other hand u can always turn off the heater...hee...

- will not stretch yr clothes.

Hope this helps ;)

:drunk: pal

Dear all,

May I know which one is better, Top Load or Front Load?

May be we can list down the pros and cons in term of electricity saving, water saving, quality of the washed clothes, etc.

From what i have gather from various sales ppl from different area such as GAB, Best D, HN, Mega...

TL:

Prices cheaper than FL.

Best D sales person was telling me that if at home got some kid, the small kid might unlikely climb inside. (i'm thinking to myself...but then again, they can always use a small chair..) FL got child lock only when it's power on or in operation...

For tall ppl might use less of a strain. Ha...

Heard that can anytime drop in more clothes midway. TL cannot.

FL:

Save water

Uses more electricity

GAB sales person was telling me that water charges r higher compare to electricity while electricity charges on per hour usage. (Is it true??)

Clothes more clean

Not so harsh on cotton clothes

Would like to hear more feedbacks as well...though i'm more or less inclined to FL.

Edited by J.T

Dear all,

May I know which one is better, Top Load or Front Load?

May be we can list down the pros and cons in term of electricity saving, water saving, quality of the washed clothes, etc.