Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jasonchua1982

Design Ideas For My Master Bedroom

Dear All,

My wife and I just bought a 3 room resale flat in AMK.

The previous owner knocked down the storeroom and relocate it to the kitchen, thus making the master bedroom even bigger.

I was contemplating the idea of designing my master bedroom into a 2-in-1 kind of room concept, i.e. master bedroom + study room or master bedroom + cosy corner or master bedroom + kids corner (for baby bed in future) :)

Wonder if this is feasible? Should build a partition in the room?

This is the original layout I got from HDB

5546187518_58c09b0aa0_b.jpg

I tried to edit abit, shifting the storeroom to the kitchen

5546187390_072d14fae5_b.jpg

Also, the new location of the storeroom has made my kitchen looks smaller, is there anyway I can design such that I have a distinction between dinning area and cooking area?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
1st question... how long do u intent to stay in this plc...? minimum 10yrs...? how old r ur kids...? and how many...?

Hi Climberr,

I intend to stay at this place for at least 6-7 years....as for kids planning to have 2.....but dunno whether will have issues later on when they are older, e.g. dun wan to share rooms, but by then maybe will be upgrading already :)

Actually I kind of list it down according to my preference :)

1. master bedroom + study room

2. master bedroom + cosy corner

3. master bedroom + kids corner

Thanks !

I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand your concerns.

R u amalgamating both MBR & common room or R u trying to say that you'll be dividing your MBR into 2 sections?

U have many options for dividing the bedroom into 2 sections. U would either use partition board (which cannot withstand hard knocks) & a cheaper option or hollow block (gray coloured bricks with hollow sections) - subject to HDB's approval of course & definitely more expensive.

If you intend to reinstate your MBR to its original condition in the near future, you might want to install a divider.

Edited by edenstrauss

I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand your concerns.

R u amalgamating both MBR & common room or R u trying to say that you'll be dividing your MBR into 2 sections?

U have many options for dividing the bedroom into 2 sections. U would either use partition board (which cannot withstand hard knocks) & a cheaper option or hollow block (gray coloured bricks with hollow sections) - subject to HDB's approval of course & definitely more expensive.

If you intend to reinstate your MBR to its original condition in the near future, you might want to install a divider.

Ohh...sorry for the confusion and thanks for the good advice too :)

What i mean is the latter, to further divide the MBR into 2 sections, because it has been made bigger by shifting the storeroom away :)

By doing so....I hope to create 2 smaller rooms instead of 1 big MBR, which might come in handy now and in future....now meaning I can use it as study room....and future where I can use it as kids room...or even use as kids study room so that if I have 2 kids, they both have their own area to study :)

However, I am pondering if having a partition is a good choice...because in the future if I am selling, will the partition be a potential unwanted feature in the room? Can I divide the room without partition?

Hi,

Maybe you can consider having a walk-in wardrobe for your master bedroom.

Or just built-in a normal wardrobe

Thanks VoDoo for the good suggestion :)

I am thinking of this idea....but dunno if the wardrobe (normal/ not built in) will be out of the way in my master bedroom.

5564155962_25b3e3df25_b.jpg

The idea is to use the wardrobe as a partition between the study area and the main sleeping area....wat do u guys think?

try not to have books near the toilet as long term will not be so good or ur books. if u plan to stay ard 6 to 7 years only u can join all rooms together as if got children they sure sleep with u at lease 6 to 7 years old. By then u also change house liao. unless u stay more then 10 years then its better to maintain as 2 rooms. i think i saw once of the t blog here tat has the same floor plan as urs, u can try to look ard.

try not to have books near the toilet as long term will not be so good or ur books. if u plan to stay ard 6 to 7 years only u can join all rooms together as if got children they sure sleep with u at lease 6 to 7 years old. By then u also change house liao. unless u stay more then 10 years then its better to maintain as 2 rooms. i think i saw once of the t blog here tat has the same floor plan as urs, u can try to look ard.

Hi Demonyi,

Thanks for your good advice....btw the toilet is at the other side....nearer to the TV console.....

Thanks for the good suggestion too, will look ard for that t blog :)

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the sketch up ya, its nice....actually the living room design is something like what I had in mind....I also thought that the dinning table can be placed in my living room so that I can have a bigger kitchen (which is already made smaller by the storeroom)

5567338475_530b7f83f3_b.jpg

Btw, wats the L-shaped table in the kitchen? Is it like a counter? I like that....can place all the dishes there before serving....haha :)

Is the cabinet in the master bedroom too big? Its like in line with the edge of the door.....on one hand I thought it offer a good partition between master bedroom and study area....on the other hand....not sure if it will be out of the way....like once u walk into master bedroom, there is a "obstacle" in front of u.... :o

Hi Jason,

Yes, the L-shaped counter is like a counter :)

The wardrobe is aligned to the wall, if it looks heavy you can build some shelvings or display at the corner of wardrobe. Visualizing entering the room, the wardrobe actually divide two way to study n resting area. Just my thots

Cheers

Ohh...so this counter needs to be custom made rite?

Thanks for the good suggestion, I got another idea, how abt building some shelving or display on the back of the wardrobe.....aka the side that faces the study table.....i thought it will take away the dullness of the back of a wardrobe (usually facing the wall) and add more theme to the study area :)

Hi Jason,

The counter will be low height cabinet with storage. Actually you can have the hob at the counter with a island chimmney. That way you can cook while your guest chat away at dining... more participation :)

Building shelving or display on the back of the wardrobe is a good idea... you do not need a partition.

Keep in touch with you with your email ya.

Cheers

Ohh...that is certainly a good idea....but provided the dining area is in the kitchen.....if its in the living room, the view will be blocked by the storeroom.....actually my current place the hob is alr installed at the location of your design....so wun be moving it to the counter....thanks for all the good suggestions given :)

I just bought a 3NG in AMK too !!! Will be doing my reno soon and same thing, will be hacking away the storeroom... mind I check , your bed is gonna be a King size of a Queen size... Quite a few friends told me that if we place in a King size, it might be quite squeezy..

I just bought a 3NG in AMK too !!! Will be doing my reno soon and same thing, will be hacking away the storeroom... mind I check , your bed is gonna be a King size of a Queen size... Quite a few friends told me that if we place in a King size, it might be quite squeezy..

Hey zanntan,

Congrats on getting your flat, which area of AMK is your new house at?

Mine is a Queen Size bed, I bought it from Dunlop :)