Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rottenramone

Homemakin'

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ok this is just to share my burning desire to diy those popular pipe and board bookshelves as featured in blogs such as the brick house, apartment therapy and manhattan nest.

i thought it would be easy to do, but the amount of prep that went into it was a little trying, considering that i didn't do D&T stuff. first thing, always plan on what your layout is and measure accordingly. that will determine the amount of wood, plumbing pipe and joints to make the whole thing work. for me i wanted to make a shelf that will fit into our study. so after a few nights of measuring and planning, i spent the mayday long weekend to look for the materials.

one thing about all these shops is that their customer service really sucks. or they're just used to their own clientele. it also doesn't help that the pipe shop only sells pipes, and nothing else. i even spotted a shop which only sold flanges. i didn't get much help from these ppl and had to rely on my wife's friends shop threadbare and squirrel (go check out the clothes, its awesome!) and my ex ID. spent the day scouring at syed alwi/kitchener area before getting my pipes at a little hardware shop at yuhua.

here's what i did:

IMG_0927.jpg

sanding and oiling: prepping the plywood turned out to be a time consuming affair. i used different grades of sandpaper and was able to get a super smooth surface, but finishing the board with danish oil did the trick. over a few days of oiling and wetsanding, there was a tremendous change in the wood. was very satisfying to see it change into a smooth furniture grade finish. u can get danish oil for about $38 at homefix.

after 1st coat

IMG_0929.jpg

after wetsanding and a few coats (this is the other side of the plywood, but u get the idea)

IMG_0931.jpg

also spray painted the stainless steel pipes black. chose krylon camouflage black for the ultra matte black finish. u can get the spray paint from artfriend at $12.50 per can. i used 3.5 for me pipes.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Edited by rottenramone

big mess

IMG_0948.jpg

things start to get a little easier once all the prep work is done. all you need to do is to just assemble it. i made a silly mistake by miscalculating the length of the pipe connecting to the wall and had to rush to buy a pipe cutter to get the correct length. i'm not cut out to be a quantity surveyor hor.

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

slotting the pipes and boards in. i recommend using a laser line to get it straight.

IMG_0963.jpg

mission accomplished!

overall it took me about a week of planning plus 4 days of spraying and oiling the boards. i have to say that patience is definitely a virtue in these tasks. rushing through it will produce crap. i now have a better appreciation of those hand crafted wood products and the amount of craftsmanship put into it. and i only oiled plywood for goodness' sake. danish oil ftw.

haha..u realli made full use of the balcony!

DIY always time consuming but satisfaction level is much higher than purchasing off the shelf products :thumbs up:

So did you purchase the plywood from kitchner road too?

Yup. Got the plywood from ban Heng Leong in syed alwi. Paid 16 bucks.

Yeah I'm really happy to do the project! Both sets of parents felt that I was wasting time when I could have just headed to ikea. But then.

Next project will be making a table outta a piece of plywood I picked up from the void deck.

Great stuff!

Way cool, must have been quite some work. >_<

Saw the Danish oil today in a shop, it had a warning saying stating that while rubbing the oil in with a cloth, it might self-combust.. :o

Great stuff!

Way cool, must have been quite some work. >_<

Saw the Danish oil today in a shop, it had a warning saying stating that while rubbing the oil in with a cloth, it might self-combust.. :o

i was on fiiiyaahhh lol

ok lah. the oil stinks and sticks after a while. but wait a day and its smooth as a babys bottom :)