Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Johnathan Xavier

About Hacking Away My Bedroom Walls. Pls Give Comments

My husband say

Even it is a 4rm HDB, it only has 2 rm. So what is the different of getting a 3rm flat. If I want 2 rms only, I rather buy a 3 rm flat. Cheaper.

i would have to disagree on this.

a 4rm in local context is of a certain size, 90+ to 100+ sqm.

a 3rm in local context is usually 60-70 sqm.

a difference of 30sqm of internal living space.

just because a wall has been hacked does not make the internal living area smaller.

another example. if i buy a 3 room flat and build up one more partition room, it does not make the place a 4room flat does it?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi All,

sorry for tapping on this thread to ask question. im going to select my flat (4rm) next week, i have the intention of hacking my walls also. when do i need to apply for the permit? do i need to inform HDB when im doing the flat selection? Reason for hacking 2rpm into one is i would like to have a walk in wardrobe too and one side maybe either a study/office area or a small area for me to relax n while my football channels apart from the living room.

Please advice.

Hi All,

sorry for tapping on this thread to ask question. im going to select my flat (4rm) next week, i have the intention of hacking my walls also. when do i need to apply for the permit? do i need to inform HDB when im doing the flat selection? Reason for hacking 2rpm into one is i would like to have a walk in wardrobe too and one side maybe either a study/office area or a small area for me to relax n while my football channels apart from the living room.

Please advice.

select ur flat as in BTO? in that case, flat not built yet.

for hacking, ur contractor have to get approval from HDB when doing renovation. so unless u are going to renovate, no need to inform HDB.

:)

select ur flat as in BTO? in that case, flat not built yet.

for hacking, ur contractor have to get approval from HDB when doing renovation. so unless u are going to renovate, no need to inform HDB.

:)

Hi There,

Yes im getting my flat from BTO Fernvale Gardens (Sengkang), flat will only be ready in 2014. yes i have a slight ideal that im gona hack down the wall which is in between the mbr and next door room as i would like to have a walked in wardrobe and at one side maybe a study/office area. im thinking of some rough quotaion as a guide so that when the time is nearer to do the renovation,i will know what to do and also gives me ample time to save aside the money for the renovations.

Hi There,

Yes im getting my flat from BTO Fernvale Gardens (Sengkang), flat will only be ready in 2014. yes i have a slight ideal that im gona hack down the wall which is in between the mbr and next door room as i would like to have a walked in wardrobe and at one side maybe a study/office area. im thinking of some rough quotaion as a guide so that when the time is nearer to do the renovation,i will know what to do and also gives me ample time to save aside the money for the renovations.

:) no point getting quotation now. 3 years later, price would surely change. Also, your plans, the trend, etc will change.

one year of slow reading t-blogs and magazines before getting keys would be more than sufficient.

(know the problems people face, new products or materials available, etc)

Do note that if its a pre-fab wall, cannot be hacked. (those thick black lines on floor plan)

Hacking a wall would bring about other costs:

- making good of ceiling

- cost to make good flooring (if flooring is provided)

hacking or not hacking is largely a decision made due to lifestyle needs.

a 5 room flat is a 5 room flat, the internal size does not change. While there are people who loves totally "wall less" homes, there will be others who prefer a house with walls. As it is now, families are getting smaller, and would really need less rooms as compared to the past.

agree....

if a couple intends to stay childless and do not have anyone else staying with them..i dont see a problem of hacking off all the partition walls and making it like a big studio apartment!

i think that will be cool!

do consider your lifestyle needs..do you need that extra room for whatever reason? if no..then i dont see why you shouldnt hack it off anyway.

as for resale value...i think its pretty much up to luck. if you happen to meet a buyer who absolutely loves your flat for its walless-ness..bingo!

just my 2 cents.

:) no point getting quotation now. 3 years later, price would surely change. Also, your plans, the trend, etc will change.

one year of slow reading t-blogs and magazines before getting keys would be more than sufficient.

(know the problems people face, new products or materials available, etc)

Do note that if its a pre-fab wall, cannot be hacked. (those thick black lines on floor plan)

Hacking a wall would bring about other costs:

- making good of ceiling

- cost to make good flooring (if flooring is provided)

Hi Gimz,

Thanks for giving these valuable tips. may i ask another advice,do u think its okay if i just opt in the flooring only and when the time comes for me to do the renovation work which includes hacking away the wall. will the tiles that are already installed be affected? or i should not opt in the flooring?

hi guys, my wife and i were also deciding whether to hack away one of the walls and combine our masterbed room with one of the common rooms when we bought our resale flat in sengkang. In the end, we decided to hack. Taking into consideration the size of our (her) wardrobe and our queensize bed, we would have left with very little space in our masterbed room.

both our parents were against us hacking due to our future family committments (babies, maid etc). however, what we feel is that why should we constrained ourselves to such a small space and leave 2 rooms empty until our baby or babies arrived. even we have 2 children, we will let them stay in a room. i spent my childhood and until tertiary education slping in the same room as my sister and my grandparents!

just my thoughts! :)

for me i will rather choose my own flooring... hdb gives standard type like most neighbours in the block. i rather spend a few thousands more just to have my own finishes.

Yea, I agree, I didn't opt for HDB's flooring too, rather choose my own when we do our renovation works.

both our parents were against us hacking due to our future family committments (babies, maid etc). however, what we feel is that why should we constrained ourselves to such a small space and leave 2 rooms empty until our baby or babies arrived. even we have 2 children, we will let them stay in a room. i spent my childhood and until tertiary education slping in the same room as my sister and my grandparents!

This might change when the kids come. ;)