Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ryooki

Baking/toasting With Panasonic Nn-gs597 (microwave Oven With Steam)?

Hi,

I just bought a Panasonic NN-GS597M Microwave Oven with Steam.

As the microwave also have baking and grilling functions, I have been trying out bake/grill the following

1) Chocolate Muffins - Used Oven mode at 160 degrees (with preheat). Placed silicone cups on Crispy Pan, result quite ok. Cannot see brown or not since it is chocolate.

2) Frozen Pizza - Used Oven mode at 220 degrees (with preheat). Placed frozen pizza on Crispy Pan lined with aluminium foil. Top is not very brown, but is burnt on the edges of the ham and pineapple, bottom is cooked but not brown.

3) Ham and Cheese sandwich - Used Oven mode at 180 degrees (no preheat). Placed sandwich on wire tray and placed on top of crispy tray. Only top is toasted (but not very brown) and bottom is slightly toasted.

Overall, it seems that I am not able to achieve the golden brown toasted look when using the Oven mode. I have not yet tried the Grill mode which is only 1 heat source at the top. Any pointers?

Thanks!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

I just bought a Panasonic NN-GS597M Microwave Oven with Steam.

As the microwave also have baking and grilling functions, I have been trying out bake/grill the following

1) Chocolate Muffins - Used Oven mode at 160 degrees (with preheat). Placed silicone cups on Crispy Pan, result quite ok. Cannot see brown or not since it is chocolate.

2) Frozen Pizza - Used Oven mode at 220 degrees (with preheat). Placed frozen pizza on Crispy Pan lined with aluminium foil. Top is not very brown, but is burnt on the edges of the ham and pineapple, bottom is cooked but not brown.

3) Ham and Cheese sandwich - Used Oven mode at 180 degrees (no preheat). Placed sandwich on wire tray and placed on top of crispy tray. Only top is toasted (but not very brown) and bottom is slightly toasted.

Overall, it seems that I am not able to achieve the golden brown toasted look when using the Oven mode. I have not yet tried the Grill mode which is only 1 heat source at the top. Any pointers?

Thanks!!

think i'm using the same oven (if i remember the model correctly~ :P)

went to baking class, instructor said this kind of crispy pan quite thick, so hard to get things "burnt" on the bottom side. good and bad i supposed...

i tried making cheese cake by placing the cake pan directly on the bottom, not on the crispy pan, the biscuit bottom almost "chao-da" :( so my conclusion is: the bottom heat is not penetrating to the crispy pan effectively, so the remedy would be to place food closer or directly on the bottom :)

i know that stupid crispy pan is too big to directly place on the bottom... :bangwall: maybe you can try to buy a metal baking tray that is smaller (around 26cm x 31cm), so the food can be placed closer to the bottom heat source :)

i just brought a tray yesterday, yet to test... if you managed to try out earlier than me, do let me know the outcome hahahaha~ :lol:

i use the grill function to make fish and chicken wings... very nice~ :dribble:

Edited by marshmallow

Hi Marshmallow,

Wow! You are fast! :)

Thanks for the advice! I will see whether i can get some baking pans or something.

Don't you think it's stupid to give the name Crispy Pan where the Pan is not making it crispy. ;)

Do you think it will work better if we forgo the Crispy Pan altogether and put the wire rack at the bottom?

Hi Marshmallow,

Wow! You are fast! :)

Thanks for the advice! I will see whether i can get some baking pans or something.

Don't you think it's stupid to give the name Crispy Pan where the Pan is not making it crispy. ;)

Do you think it will work better if we forgo the Crispy Pan altogether and put the wire rack at the bottom?

hahahahahaha i never think about the name leh~ :lol: you're right LOL

theoretically, forgoing the crispy pan should be better cos heat on the food is more direct. but i always either put the wire rack on crispy pan or glass tray to minimize cleaning. so........ :D

Edited by marshmallow

hahahahahaha i never think about the name leh~ :lol: you're right LOL

theoretically, forgoing the crispy pan should be better cos heat on the food is more direct. but i always either put the wire rack on crispy pan or glass tray to minimize cleaning. so........ :D

so what do u use when u want to toast sandwiches leh? do u use grille or oven mode? :)

so what do u use when u want to toast sandwiches leh? do u use grille or oven mode? :)

sorry can't help... cos i dun toast sandwishes haha~ :P

but if i were to use, most prob grilled mode... cos i dun like bread to be too crispy hahaha~

sorry can't help... cos i dun toast sandwishes haha~ :P

but if i were to use, most prob grilled mode... cos i dun like bread to be too crispy hahaha~

har... orhh.. okie..

i was considering this model until a panasonic sales auntie told me this oven is not convection. Some said it is, so its confusing...

My wife wanted a convection/microwave over so we have looked somewhere else. Now we are considering Sharp RS899 mode instead.

Browning is easy :) I found the trick to it.

There is a black tray that u can insert to elevate your baking. Use that and turn to 220 at end of baking.

Muffin's crispy top however, depends pretty much on recipe. For example, recipes where I do rubbing of butter will give crispy tops. I usually bake at 180 too.

There is a black tray that u can insert to elevate your baking. Use that and turn to 220 at end of baking.

Muffin's crispy top however, depends pretty much on recipe. For example, recipes where I do rubbing of butter will give crispy tops. I usually bake at 180 too.

the black tray is the crispy pan we have been talking about. rite?

Edited by marshmallow

Panasonic is good for microwaves but the quality doesn't impress me. I classify Panasonic ovens as cheap ovens, these ovens are made in China with weaker materials that don't give much life to the oven. Instead I will like to go with Oster, KitchenAid, WestingHouse etc.

Edited by maryp46

On 4/9/2011 at 3:24 PM, rummi said:

Thank you for this tip. I will get my wife to try this at home when she do banana muffins.