Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Funnysheep

Curtain Prices Are Absurd

I think the curtains market is really over priced.

Thousands of dollars for a few pieces of polyester and cotton.

With a few wooden or aluminium rods.

I went down to a store, and they quoted me $800 for curtain cloth only.

Polyester.... what do they think it is? Silk thread or gold plated?

It's only 2 piece of cloth hanging on the wall lor. And the material price is dirt cheap lor.

Cost price should not be more than $30 per set.... I rather go buy a roll of cloth, bind the ends in a loop and pass through a 1-2m stainless steel pole. Dun think it will cost more than $300 for 4 rooms.

I will not be one of the carrots to pay more than $450.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Customisation is more expensive becox it is not mass-produced like ready-made curtains.

U could find China-made curtains too, made of polyester at $75 per pair in the market. If you are not fussy about the quality & prints on the fabric, you might be lucky enough to get those which are $50 a pair.

If that's still way out of your budget, you might want to approach salvation army to check with them if they've got used curtains which are still in good condition. Or some 2nd hand furniture shops which might carry quality blackout curtains thrown out by hotels.

if one can sew, why not? many nice cloths around Arab Street or near Textile Centre area going for just a few bucks per yard. curtain rods can be easily settled from Ikea.

Edited by marshmallow

if one can sew, why not? many nice clothes around Arab Street or near Textile Centre area going for just a few bucks per yard. curtain rods can be easily settled from Ikea.

Curtain rods can be bought from Spotlight at Plaza Singapura also. They also provide sewing services.

Spotlight and Ikea asides from having good selection of curtain material also have ready made curtains.

Some paid $1k-$3k for their curtains in the curtains forum.

Maybe so many people buy blindly, so those evil merchants feel they can mark up 400%.

esp for young couples.

If you pile it into material,

It's like 8 pieces of polyester and 4 pieces of metal or wooden rods.

Maybe some plastic wheeling, if you fancy those tracks on aluminium.

Put them in volume and dimension, i think it's even more expensive than steel.

For me,

I think i will scope around arab street and china town for some good and thick textile.

Buy a few metal or wooden poles from Ikea and just fix them up.

Est cost should be around $300-$400 for a 4 room flat.

SS pole should be $30 per meter x 4 = $120 (cheaper if alumiunium)

$180 for cloth should be sufficient.

Maybe $30-$50 for sewing if done outside IKEA?

Some paid $1k-$3k for their curtains in the curtains forum.

Maybe so many people buy blindly, so those evil merchants feel they can mark up 400%.

esp for young couples.

can't really accuse them of evil, willing buyer willing seller.

aiyah can't say that they are evil la, they also need to earn from providing the services... dun "one rod hits everyone on the boat". sometimes, those expensive you see in the forum can be because:

1) the cloths they use can be quite expensive (if you go spotlight you will know. the nicer looking chiffon or organza can go to ~$10 per yard, of course whole sale price should be cheaper)

2) some house owner wants full length day and night curtain, complete blocked half blocked etc etc...

3) some house just have A LOT of windows.

i calculated for my 4-room flat. if i want full length, double layers for all windows, about 90 sq-yards of cloths required... huu huu... like that material cost is already $450 even if i use cloths that are $5 per yard...

so i guess, if you want a lot of curtains and nice materials, might as well get the curtain vendor to do to save yourself some trouble. but if your requirement is relatively simple (like, just 1 or 2 sets for bedrooms, using normal cloth say $2~3 per yard), then you can always DIY... why not? :)

btw i heard from fren that ikea sewing not that cheap, but i dun have the numbers.

Edited by marshmallow

The price is very much depend on material quality & source (eg China, Korean, Taiwan or Europe .....).

My unit is HDB EA, and looking for single layer, source (either Korean or Taiwan).

- Two window panels (full-ht and 4m width each), using alum track

- Five window panels (1.5m ht x 1.75m width each), using wooden rod

- One window panel (1.25m ht x 1.25m width), using alum track

- One window panel (1.5m ht x 1.25m width), used roller blind

One retail shop (at TradeHub21) quoted me more than $3K.

I closed the deal directly with (w/o middle man) one company (at AMK industrial park 1, factory & not a retail shop), at less than $1.5K. Material: Valdez and Mercure.

The lady boss is very friendly and helpful, during both site measurement and selection of material. They have many types of material (ranging from cheap to normal to expensive).

Workmanship? The installation has been scheduled for 21 May 2011. Only can share my view then .....