Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Anarchy

A Modern Resort Project

What happens if parents place is far from school that you wish to send your kids to? :unsure:

my choice, near to school.

After school, school bus can sent them to parent place.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Initially wanted to blog down the whole journey of my renovation progress but as usual procrastination and commitment in life didn't make it a reality.

Just a quick summarize, when we bought this house, we are looking at the structure of the house as we have the intention to tear down everything so the existing design doesn't matter.

We spent about 2 months after OTP looking for contractors. We only went for 5 contractors/IDs as we didn't want to go islandwide searching for one. Too time consuming and hate to repeat again and again. Our main criteria is we will prepare what we want for example, measurements of our shortlisted furniture, put everything in a word document with all detail covered. The contractor/ID who listen and incorporate our needs into reality will secure the deal.

After shortlisting the contractor, we spent another 5 months of communicating of our needs, quotation, negotiation and design planning. The whole idea is select one contractor/ID early as from what we learnt from others mistake is problem arise when there is a miscommunication of information to the contractor and then to the sub contractor. I can't say I'm 100% but I think i manage to hit about 90%. Things like hinges were overlook. Nothing serious which I cant live with it.

We started our renovation sometime in October 2010 and completed after Christmas which is about 11 weeks long. We spent slightly longer time is due to carpenter schedule. We requested for a old timer and have very good skill with carpentry. Waiting time is about 2 weeks+.

And here is the final product.

LR800.jpg

Kitchen800.jpg

Dining800.jpg

MBR800.jpg

MBRT800.jpg

Hi, hi,

Is your house done by contractor of ID?

If it was done by ID, I feel that your ID should consider the design of the false ceiling in your living room and master bedroom. I noticed that the false ceilings are both cutting through the windows and quite unsighty. I thought it looks better if the width can be made to accommodate and terminate just near the windows.

Next, the kitchen looks dark even with all lights switched on. The bamboo clothes dryer is also unsighty for open concept kitchen. It will looks better if you change it to those aluminium poles.

Just my one-cent thoughts.... :P

kristernM,

Thanks for your comments :) seems like you can look through the detail :D The false ceiling is what we wanted as we don't want the ceiling to be too narrow in width thus giving a feeling of "pressure" that's why all the rooms have the same design of slightly protruding out which overall is fine with me.

Bamboo vs aluminum pole. bamboo stick cost me $1 each and aluminum cost $10? Bamboo is lighter and can last very long. Design wise may not be as pleasing as compare to aluminum but can live with it.

Kitchen did look abit dark. We try and match with a lighter color before but wasn't what we wanted and reverted back to darker kitchen. Was causing abit of concern initially but after living in there for the past couple of months, it wasn't as bad as what we thought.

Your kitchen wall tiles match your cabinet laminates - cool!

Your bedroom also I had to do a double take - looks like a 3d. Congratulations on your reno completion

Very nice indeed!

Love your toilet.. I wish i plan my toilet in this manner too.. More storage space indeed. Other than hotel-ish style.

Thou kitchen wall n floor tiles looks dark, but looks quite well together! Hee..

sorry for the late reply ppl

archenemy, yeap it is a 5room flat

hafiizh, thanks! I found lamintak laminates to be "smoother" than others. I like their laminates quite a lot

marshmallow, yeah initially thought so as well but the cost to wire the speaker to my study room is not cheap. Therefore, decided to move over my 32" lcd from my parents place to save cost haha

darkchocs, yeah i love this sofa alot! Waited for like 3 months for it as its difficult to ship in. It is Myanmar teak wood which is nicer than indonesia teak IMO. I got it from a nice lady at asiawood. If you are interested, order early as shipment is often delayed.

footprint, thanks! toilet is nice but dont know why they took the picture of my MBR toilet instead of the Common toilet which I feel its nicer. Yeah the tiles do look dark but it blended into my whole design so decided to keep it. Most chinese prefer brighter kitchen though

Edited by Dr.Anarchy

Hey there, where did you get your dining table hanging lamp from? I've been looking for something similar to this as my home would also be the modern resorty theme..

care to share?

Thanks!