Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
watchthewaves

Driveway Flooring Recommendation Needed

What did you use for your driveway and what was the reason for your choice?

Am considering klinker tiles, heavy duty homogeneous tiles and pebblewash. What are the pros and cons of these? What are their relative cost?

Any other types of flooring to consider?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

What did you use for your driveway and what was the reason for your choice?

Am considering klinker tiles, heavy duty homogeneous tiles and pebblewash. What are the pros and cons of these? What are their relative cost?

Any other types of flooring to consider?

Thanks.

The key considerations are :

* No slippery tiles for safety reasons. We need to ensure this as we got young kids and old folks

* Durability. Try to take a walk pass people's house and see what are the type of types that last. There are some slightly rough tiles with some waves patterns. My sil had those and she told us that dirt like to trap on the patterns thus making it turn black and difficult to maintain. In addition, the waves will also chip off overtime.

In the end, I don't know the term of tiles we had. It was not big piece. It is not hommogenous. It is suitable for driveway. Non pattern but got classic grey paveway look. Not too rough where any fall will induce a big scratch. Our tile is around maybe 12 cm by 12cm. Not too small but definitely not big. It's been 3 years. We found it very easy to maintain, non slippery and the type that don't get dirty, crack and chip off easily.

After testing out so many types...

1. Forget about pebblewash. Turns black very soon due to algae. Also if workmanship not good, then cracklines will appear with the white effloverance lines will occur.

2. Homogeneous tiles, when wet, even if matt finish, will be very slippery. Only those textured type like slate/ honed finish can be considered. But then, if got texture, then dirt will easily trap.

3. If I have to make a choice again, then I wld go for those dark granite flame finish. Either 200X200 or 100x100.

I wld use a dark colour, so that dirt stains will not be so obvious. Dark colour driveway also look nice with spot lighting. Really highlights the car in the driveway.

One alternative is to use slate tile, though I prefer peeble wash and homogenous tile. Cheers!

Is it easy to maintain? I used to have pebblewash inside the house walkway but it started to come off after 1 year.

not sure if it is due to poor workmanship or this is something unavoidable with pebble wash

Is it easy to maintain? I used to have pebblewash inside the house walkway but it started to come off after 1 year.

not sure if it is due to poor workmanship or this is something unavoidable with pebble wash

I can imagine some scenarios where the pebbles in the pebble wash area dropped off.

(1) There is very heavy usage (eg. drag heavy objects on pebble wash area, drive a 5 ton vehicle daily in and out of the pebble was area, throw highly corrosive acid on the pebble wash area frequently, etc..).

(2) Poor workmanship (eg. didn't remove away the excess water & moisture from the cement that holds the pebbles together)

(3) Tree roots penetrating into your boundary causing cracks on the floor and pebbles droped off.

There could be other situations.

Two solutions here.

For poor workmaneship, you could apply a layer of chemical to glue the pebble wash together. This would prevent the pebble wash from dropping off further or hack and redo the pebble wash.

If your usage is heavy, better change to other types of materials. For tree roots issue, you will either have to chop the tree to stop the roots from growing further and causing more damage to your house or redo the foundation.

Cheers!