Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Defelio

My Mini Mid-Century Modern Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well, couple of colleagues jio me for lunch and I chance upon the blackboard paint (the board was green previously) in a cool hardware store with fairly interesting stuffs as compared to Home-Fix. Homely is another which I like to venture about in which have more stuffs for the hardcore DIYs.

HomeSweetHome_20110731_00079-Copy.jpg

After 3 coats of paint, fencing up our land, growing grass, flowers around our new house.. Here is our Micro Mid Modern House! :P

HomeSweetHome_20110911_00320.jpg

Grand Pa Pa and Grand Ma Ma having cake and tea =)

HomeSweetHome_20110911_00350.jpg

Mr Donkey was a great help in carrying the fences! ~~'

HomeSweetHome_20110911_00364.jpg

Hi Defelio,

can i know where did you get the blackboard from and care to share the price as well? thanks

Hi Defelio,

can i know where did you get the blackboard from and care to share the price as well? thanks

Hi Techaview, I have no idea as it was my ID who had got the green chalkboard, then I had it painted.

I know ikea is selling it but smaller.

Hi Defelio,

I am about to set out on my own renovation journey and was contacted by your ID, Douglas, and he referred me to your t-blog.

Are you willing to share any comments/reference for his work? Can you PM me? I tried to PM you but I think inbox full maybe. Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Your renovation turned out really well and, from your comments, to your satisfaction. Like a lot of others, looking forward to seeing your kitchen pics.

Hi Techaview, I have no idea as it was my ID who had got the green chalkboard, then I had it painted.

I know ikea is selling it but smaller.

Admirer of your t-blog here ^_^

You mentioned that your ID got u the green chalkboard and u had it painted?

I thought u bought the chalkboard paint and paint it yourself? A little confused here...

Hi Defelio,

I am about to set out on my own renovation journey and was contacted by your ID, Douglas, and he referred me to your t-blog.

Are you willing to share any comments/reference for his work? Can you PM me? I tried to PM you but I think inbox full maybe. Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Your renovation turned out really well and, from your comments, to your satisfaction. Like a lot of others, looking forward to seeing your kitchen pics.

Hi SgSam, congratulations! Well he shared it with me on his iphone or ipad. We actually choose Douglas as he is more responsive as compared to the others that we had sourced for quotations. Spent so much time talking to the "ID" but no reply!!! !@#$%^ So why bother chase them for the quote if they not interested in replying you. Try to catch those small tell tale signs if you find them fakie or insincere.

In the beginning, we were lost like most couples are as we have no direction as we have not much idea on the themes "available" out there.

Just last weekend, they had fix one of the lighting holder at the bar counter as it was not aligned/squared with the rectangle frame.If you ask why now then fix, he explained to me he was shifting his carpenter workshop and we were also not rushing him in to repair it.

Any issue with carpentry/etc, you can go through him and he will definitely help you solved it, either with or without $$ top up, depending whether was the issue due to change/s we requested for (which was not in the plan), if haven't fix up, we can still quickly request to change the plan. If they have excess spare material or make wrongly, sure will give free! If it's their fault that they didn't follow the plan, they will change it for us like the shoe rack spacing and angle(change twice liao) and the bookshelvf in my MBR.

The first design doesn't have the middle wood to divide the internal shoe rack into two column. The second design had the angled shelves being place from corner to corner diagonally in each rectangle. Thus the tip of the shoe can't be squeeze in.... :bangwall: Finally the third as you can see below is after they re-cut the wood and adjusted the angle, the shoe can fit in swee swee :good:

HomeSweetHome_20110731_00123-Copy.jpg

We wanted one without the middle support and they had made it with the middle support(more practical to prevent it from slacking in the middle). Of course they will ask us if we could accept it but we feel it would be best not to have it for the looks(So far so good, its not slacking!) Then the former bookshelf is @ his place now. :D Thanks Douglas!

The shelf without the wood support in the middle.

HomeSweetHome_20110728_00012.jpg

I had asked Douglas what kind/type of clients are you afraid off? He mentioned that he is afraid of those customers that confirm with the design and when the things are being fabricated, they say that, that's not the things they want or even claim that it"s different from what they think but design and drawing already shown.. lol Some customer don;t really want to seodn time with ID or contractor to go through the drawing themselves..

I feel that you need to work closely with your ID and also you have to be checking the renovation progress personally so as to have things corrected asap and not at the end. S Actually we had made quite alot of changes along the way...

Well of course there are others that totally wanna let their ID run the show as they feel they paid for their service. For Douglas he would come to look for me near my working place to consult for my preference or explain the major issues.

Workmanship wise I find can be improve abit more on the final touches.

ID service 9.5/10

Workmanship 9/10

Edited by Defelio

Admirer of your t-blog here ^_^

You mentioned that your ID got u the green chalkboard and u had it painted?

I thought u bought the chalkboard paint and paint it yourself? A little confused here...

lol thanks thanks ps if I didn't phrase it properly. My ID got me the green chalkboard as a stand in first, he knows we want a black chalkboard, so he had tried sourcing sungei something(near Mandai) and even JB. In the end also cannot find, so he told me if I can ever find, he will pay me back.

So I found the black chalkboard paint and DIY.

Green(default) chalkboard from ID.

Black chalkboard paint from me.

I would repaint it with metallic paint if I ever chance upon it locally and repaint the black chalkboard paint.

I see. Brick got alot of natural colour tone. Are you getting real bricks or those look alike brick?

One of the few inspirations was from a magazine that showcase a pad with white and red theme, the brick wall is in striking red. Which had alot of POP!

Also saw a local pad showcase in another magazine, an old hdb flat which have actual brick walls, either just need to hack away the cemented surface to expose the brick within or already like that when he got the place which gives a modern industrial look! He also had our old local orange payphone and he had standby alot of 10¢ for usage!

Hi Defelio mine is using real bricks just that not those thick ones because the original size of the bricks are not approved by HDB.. I guess is the weight wise.. Thickness is around half the original size..

Btw just curious if u mind letting me know how much u spent on ur furnishing so far? And the wooden false ceiling is it exp? Hehe..

Edited by JX83

Hey Defelio, would like to PM you about something but your mailbox is full. Can you pls drop me a PM when you have cleared your mailbox?

Thanks a bunch! :yamseng:

lol thanks thanks ps if I didn't phrase it properly. My ID got me the green chalkboard as a stand in first, he knows we want a black chalkboard, so he had tried sourcing sungei something(near Mandai) and even JB. In the end also cannot find, so he told me if I can ever find, he will pay me back.

So I found the black chalkboard paint and DIY.

Green(default) chalkboard from ID.

Black chalkboard paint from me.

I would repaint it with metallic paint if I ever chance upon it locally and repaint the black chalkboard paint.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought green is nice as well. Just curious, is there green chalkboard paint?

Hi Defelio mine is using real bricks just that not those thick ones because the original size of the bricks are not approved by HDB.. I guess is the weight wise.. Thickness is around half the original size..

Btw just curious if u mind letting me know how much u spent on ur furnishing so far? And the wooden false ceiling is it exp? Hehe..

Hi JX83, you're making me confuse.. Real brick but not the original size? Is yours from craftstone and about 10mm thickness?

Rough estimate is between mid to high 20s. Ceiling in our opinion abit ex after knowing the price of the wood verneer but we know that they absorb alot after a major change due to the design. It depends on how big you wanna do also.

Edited by Defelio

Hey Defelio, would like to PM you about something but your mailbox is full. Can you pls drop me a PM when you have cleared your mailbox?

Thanks a bunch! :yamseng:

:yamseng:

Thanks for clarifying. I thought green is nice as well. Just curious, is there green chalkboard paint?

No problem c",) Well, there are a few of our friends who prefer green over black. So it's a personal preference. Green gives a more classroom feel for those who remember our school days but we find green a tad off in our pad.

Finally and sorry for the long wait.

View from the living room.

SandD_20111023_01084.jpg

SandD_20111023_00981.jpg

Love the wide fridge with the H2O dispenser c",)

SandD_20111024_01164.jpg

Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more. And I know I shouldn't...

SandD_20111023_01101.jpg