Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalimantan

Financial Planning Course

I like dealing with numbers, so i would like to know what are the financial planning courses to take.

Having nothing to do at night, i read up H1, M5, M8, M9 exams and cleared all of them for the fun of it.

Can any experts guide me any formal courses to take ?

I am not a financial consultant, but i am a IT professional :-)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I like dealing with numbers, so i would like to know what are the financial planning courses to take.

Having nothing to do at night, i read up H1, M5, M8, M9 exams and cleared all of them for the fun of it.

I think the important question is what do you want to do before you think about what course to take?

Cheers!

Deal with numbers alone is a matter of the past, too static - read till bottom forget the top. Must learn to read graphs/curves/charts - pictures speak thousand words.

http://www.trackthetrend.com/t18/

Before kicking off the course, one lobang for you first, can take this as first financial lesson:

ICTSI FAR EAST PTE. LTD. LAUNCHES VOLUNTARY CONDITIONAL CASH OFFER FOR PORTEK INTERNATIONAL LIMITED - Voluntary conditional cash offer - Offer price of S$1.20 per share represents premiums of 71%, 89% and 111% to 1-month, 3-month and 6-month average closing share prices - In-line with stated strategy to expand existing network of port concessions.

Portek today halt trading, last done on Tuesday was $0.71.

Read SGX's news offeror's(ICTSI) banker - HSBC's term & conditions.

Bro, another financial planning "course" here.

<ADV> HDB Heartland Public Talk - Enriching your golden years, conducted in English, on 18 Jun 2011

From the talk, you can learn more about:

1. Monetisation options available to HDB flat owners.

2. Protecting your interest by appointing a lasting Power of Attorney.

3. Useful exercise tips to keep your body and mind healthy.

You can also purchase age-friendly items at special prices.

Date : 18 Jun 2011 (Sat)

Time : 2.00 to 4.00pm (Registration starts at 1.30pm)

Venue : HDB Auditorium Basement 1 HDB Hub 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh Singapore 310480

If you would like to attend the talk, please register online:

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/FI10REGGEN/FI10SMainController?recID=GoldYrs11&steps=4

Seats are limited. Sign up now to avoid disappointment.

For more information on past HDB Heartland Public Talks, please visit:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10333p.nsf/w/CORTalks?OpenDocument

im not an expert, but i do have a keen interest in financial planning.

financial planning (to me) cannot be viewed in isolation.

We need to incorporate lifetsyle needs. This includes buying of big ticket items like house, car, tv, sound system, etc.

U need to agree in-principle with your spouse as well, for family harmony. :)

No point scolding wife for shopping too much, but one day later u go and buy new car. :P

My personal practice:

1. Learn to use money as a servant, not be a slave to money.

2. Avoid the rat race, avoid buying something just becos everyone has it and be realistic about your economic ability, i.e. "can i afford it?" We need to be bruatlly honest with ourselves and have a good hard look at ourselves.

3. People tell u to take more risk by investing in stocks/alternative investment. But to me, principal protection is the most important. So take less risk, but have to make up for it by saving more, so sacrificing even more luxury stuff.

4. start planning for retirement even before you start working.

gimz63251073, correct. Some to add.

"Planning" concept best to be instilled and prctised while one is young and become a "way of life".

It is the "key" to make things happen by intention.

http://www.cpf.gov.sg/multimedia/retirement/retirement.html

Planning process involves many attributes, like discipline, responsibility, resistance to temptations, know-how, skills, projection, anticipation, level of confidence, wisdom, etc etc. It also involves "courage to correcton" as and when needed during the process.

This allows one to have a "big picture" in vision/mind.

I have been teaching my children on these. Pictur on left taken in year 2000 dec 24, the 2 standing are mine, the one in walker is my niece

Edited by bepgof

Many skills in finance-related, best to be pickup and tried while one is young enough, this gives one confidence. If fails, can try again. Human tends to resist to change when get older. Without knowledge, hand-on, at this year (say 50yo) = miss the boat liao. Confidence needs to be earned but at times could be very expensive.

Edited by bepgof