Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Schutzstaffel

Help: Small Insects Found In Ktichen Top And Cabinets

Hi all,

My house was recently renovated. All the old kitchen cabinets was hacked and rebuild. Yesterday I found lots of small insects that looks like ants but much smaller size compared to ants. They jump when I touches them. Really scare it is white ants which might be quite a headache for us. Anybody encounter those small insects while your cabinets are new ? What can be the cause of it ?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all,

My house was recently renovated. All the old kitchen cabinets was hacked and rebuild. Yesterday I found lots of small insects that looks like ants but much smaller size compared to ants. They jump when I touches them. Really scare it is white ants which might be quite a headache for us. Anybody encounter those small insects while your cabinets are new ? What can be the cause of it ?

you mean those very very small ones, like.. less than 0.5mm one? it could be mold bugs... check out those threads discussing on molds to see if that's the same one we were talking about~ yea i got them soon after i moved in...

for now, you can try those "poison" for ants and insects... those powder ones... hope you understand which type i am refering to~ :)

you mean those very very small ones, like.. less than 0.5mm one? it could be mold bugs... check out those threads discussing on molds to see if that's the same one we were talking about~ yea i got them soon after i moved in...

for now, you can try those "poison" for ants and insects... those powder ones... hope you understand which type i am refering to~ :)

Yup, I guess I am talking about those.... I already called in the pest terminators...See what they recommend....

ou mean those very very small ones, like.. less than 0.5mm one? it could be mold bugs... check out those threads discussing on molds to see if that's the same one we were talking about~ yea i got them soon after i moved in...

for now, you can try those "poison" for ants and insects... those powder ones... hope you understand which type i am refering to~

Yup, I guess I am talking about those.... I already called in the pest terminators...See what they recommend....

Hi,

Thats defenitely a mold bug, maybe there is a condensation inside the cabinet, I have seen something like that before, its quite scary..

You should check if there is water seeping or leaking close to the area that you mentioned.Usually following with smell, are encountered something like that as well?

ou mean those very very small ones, like.. less than 0.5mm one? it could be mold bugs... check out those threads discussing on molds to see if that's the same one we were talking about~ yea i got them soon after i moved in...

for now, you can try those "poison" for ants and insects... those powder ones... hope you understand which type i am refering to~

Hi,

Thats defenitely a mold bug, maybe there is a condensation inside the cabinet, I have seen something like that before, its quite scary..

You should check if there is water seeping or leaking close to the area that you mentioned.Usually following with smell, are encountered something like that as well?

for my home, it's not due to leakage or something and there is no smell... just that my place is very humid everywhere... also mold everywhere... sigh. so i guess i can't really do anything about the environment unless i shift house~ :lol:

for my home, it's not due to leakage or something and there is no smell... just that my place is very humid everywhere... also mold everywhere... sigh. so i guess i can't really do anything about the environment unless i shift house~ :lol:

Those insects are called Booklice. If they jump, they could be Springtails. I also moved into my apartment about 6 months ago and have been seeing them ever since I moved in.

They're impossible to get rid of, though ant-poison (the white powdery types) that contain pyrethrin work quite well. Just dust your shelves with them and check all your starch-based products like cereals, rice, flour; even sugar and tins with labels glued on them (since glue is made of starch).

I guess it's really pest "control" at this point, rather than "extermination".

hi white ant dont jump it might be the paint work try finding is there any bug on the wall too?

Hi... I just posted in another thread, under the bedbug topic. I'm experiencing the above description... ON MY WALLS!!! The insect light brown in colour. Sprayed insecticide, pressed them, still can't get rid. Is those selling the electric plug thingy that can repel bugs work? Can advise?

Hi... I just posted in another thread, under the bedbug topic. I'm experiencing the above description... ON MY WALLS!!! The insect light brown in colour. Sprayed insecticide, pressed them, still can't get rid. Is those selling the electric plug thingy that can repel bugs work? Can advise?

I don't think the electric plug thingy works, though I haven't tried it personally. I used to have the electronic one at my old house and we were swamped by all manner of insects... not that it's any different where I live now.

You need to look for where they're originating; if they're on the walls, they're on the floors or ceiling. Take a closer look because they need to travel. They don't travel in groups or lines, so you'll need to find out where there's a greater frequency of them.

If it's the kitchen, check the shelves and food. If they're all clumping on the walls, your walls may have microscopic mould, and you'll need to clean with a very diluted solution of bleach (or dettol) every two weeks or so. If they're coming from outside (i.e. via the windows), you'll just have to dust the area with the anti-ant powder I recommended above (contains pyrethrin) and keep checking every now and then.

Do you stay in the Punggol area? I notice we appear to have some kind of infestation around the Punggol area.

I don't think the electric plug thingy works, though I haven't tried it personally. I used to have the electronic one at my old house and we were swamped by all manner of insects... not that it's any different where I live now.

You need to look for where they're originating; if they're on the walls, they're on the floors or ceiling. Take a closer look because they need to travel. They don't travel in groups or lines, so you'll need to find out where there's a greater frequency of them.

If it's the kitchen, check the shelves and food. If they're all clumping on the walls, your walls may have microscopic mould, and you'll need to clean with a very diluted solution of bleach (or dettol) every two weeks or so. If they're coming from outside (i.e. via the windows), you'll just have to dust the area with the anti-ant powder I recommended above (contains pyrethrin) and keep checking every now and then.

Do you stay in the Punggol area? I notice we appear to have some kind of infestation around the Punggol area.

I'm staying in Queenstown there... Those tiny mini little "creature" are found on my bedroom walls. My another room also have, but they are not adjacent rooms. So far, living room is still safe (keep my finger cross).

I'm staying in Queenstown there... Those tiny mini little "creature" are found on my bedroom walls. My another room also have, but they are not adjacent rooms. So far, living room is still safe (keep my finger cross).

Oddly enough, that was my experience too - I found them in the kitchen and MBR, but none in the living room or guest room or study room.

My advice is to close the windows in your bedroom and the other room and check the grouting and plastering - these insects feed on starchy stuff, and both grout and plaster use some kind of starch I think.

Then use that anti-ant powder to dust the entire area. For prudences' sake, also clean the walls with a dettol solution if possible.

You might want to check any place that's humid in the house, as it tends to attract mould more frequently (I understand this is Singapore, so Everywhere is humid) - helps if you have a dehumidifier and air-conditioning.

I got rid of the ones in my kitchen by dusting the entire place with the powder and dehumidifying the area; so far my kitchen is safe, but I still detect them in my bathrooms and outside my main gate, crawling around the doorway. HDB and the Town Council are useless in this aspect, as far as I'm concerned.

where did u buy ant "poison"? i don't see any shop selling

where did u buy ant "poison"? i don't see any shop selling

They can be found in the horticulture section of supermarkets (think NTUC still selling, a small white bottle labelled "Ant Killer") and DIY shops. I saw a big red bottle of it recently in NTUC, not sure if you can still find it.

If you're aiming to stop booklice, do read the labels to confirm it contains pyrethrin or pyrethroid-based chemicals.

Cheers, K.

mould bugs strive well at environment with mould, becos the mould helps to break down mould bugs' food (starchy stuff, fabric, plaster.. like what Kerio mentioned) for their easy ingestion.

imho, Dettol is simply not good enough. use bleach solution (dilute with water at 1:49), or Borax solution (can't get in Singapore). On Borax, search for mould-related thread on RT, a bro called Topspin has provided a lot of valuable input on this matter.

So far found Borax to be better. with Dettol, i need to wipe once every few days, for bleach, once every 2 weeks but Borax, once every month. ;)

those ants/insects poison can be found anywhere: supermarket, neighbourhood grocery shops, home-fix, etc. around $2~3 for a small box of powder. More establish brands like "Combat" costs more.

my guess on why MBR and kitchen more susceptible is becos these places are more humid - kitchen you have all the cooking activities which introduces moisture, while MBR you have toilet and frequent on/off of aircon (causing condensation)~ well just my guess ;)

at bukit batok west mall, they have a lifestyle product.

Cost $5.

name of product : Scent King.

Purpose is to repel insects, ants, cockraches, bed bugs, etc.

Non-toxic, and smell good.

These product is actually avaialble in most medicine shop as listed in the brochure behind.