Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
samsamwch

Penthouse Reno, Where To Start

One small step for man and One giant step for renovation..

Thanks to RT members' views, I have finally decided to separate Roof Terrace designer with Interior works.

Engaged Roof Terrace designer. Will start work in 2 weeks time. Duration is 4 weeks.

Still havent engage anyone for Interior works. This is a real headache. Met 6 IDs and only zoom down to 2. See D1 and D2 above. D2 is better than D1 in terms of design ideas. But D2 takes design as a priority over practically and cost... good but not-so-good, I think. Her concepts are "stylo" and luxurious but sometimes I find it embarrassing to tell her to watch my wallet. But to be fair, she got good rates with her carpentry and wetworks contractors. Headache..

Maybe, I should engage freelance designer and ask the designer to PM and work with a main contractor appointed by me.. any views?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, may be u want consider D3 Home Design Base at woodland. they do a fast n good job for my resale flat with resonable price..

U can look for Mr yk. PM me if u want his contact

Edited by momocuki

Hi, may be u want consider D3 Home Design Base at woodland. they do a fast n good job for my resale flat with resonable price..

U can look for Mr yk. PM me if u want his contact

Thanks mmocuki. Pmed

Hi Forumers,

Need certified electrician to add 6 outdoor power points and 6 outdoor lighting points. Do you know roughly how much it will cost and got any lobang?

Thanks !

Regards,

Samsamwch

Finally, selected the designer for interior works!

Exterior roof terrace work has commenced by another designer or more specifically a landscaper. It's 30% done now.

Just introduced the interior guy to the exterior guy got them to work together.

It was an interesting journey selecting designers... Will share more when I have the time.

Im so happy for you , dont forget to upload photo ... can . God bless

Ok, it status update time..

Roof Terrace: 75% done.

Cost: abt $35k

Exterior designer did all sourcing and quote comparison for me. I pay him design fees, so far so good.

Realised plants can cost a bomb and now very scared they die before I move in. But they are beautiful. Designer got specific plants that can attract small birds. Some twirlers to create a shield to get more privacy from neighbours. Checked today, some twirlers have flowered in purple, nice!

Because of cost constraints, here is the final design:

Living Area: 50% done. Cost abt $40k

a. got marble slab for TV feature wall..realized only need to top up $500

b. because of space constraint in MBR, designer will be constructing a study table cum TV wall (hidden TV, will only appear will a button is pressed)

c. using Crestar ceilling fans, got it at $230 for 52" and $270 for 56", regulator at $35 and instalation at $40 per piece.

d. downlights, ended up with 40+, realised that prices can be very different. Found KS Lightings, for 13W square glass downlight, only $16 per piece, big ones is $28 per piece. Balestier shops were selling double the price.

e. didnt cater for changing all switches to designer switches..estimated cost is $1k

f. checked out invisible grilles, didnt like it because must do horizontal lines otherwise must do from floor to ceiling, quite unsightly. Found cheap and good wrought iron grille guy, only $11 psf.

g. kids chose their own room colours. Designer got headache from them.

h. ordered storage bed, but will throw away head-board. My designer will construct a floor to ceiling bed-header. Dont know nice or not.

i. Hand-itchy, when to choose stony tiles to tile up one side of balcony wall. Not visible to condo management, unless they take a helicopter

Mover: Found back my previous mover, he gave me a discount and I referred another job to him. Quiet team, wouldnt smoke in my house. Wraps my items with plastic for at least 4 layers..This time, I am getting them to move my piano as well.

Headache: how to dispose or give away my bulky items:

a. fridge: working condition, got extra one because the apartment I bought came with fridge, I already have one myself

b. washing machine

c. Cellini TV feature console

d. Study table, quite big, 1.5m long I think

e. Bookshelves x 2

f. Metal modular rack, 3 levels, 1.5m long, I think.

g. Electone, as in organ. Old model but working condition.

Outstanding item: buy curtains / blinds. Kids are allergic to dust mites, so, cannot use too much cloth curtains..

Grand plan:

Throw a bbq tea party and invite my exterior designer, interior design, mover and their family. Both my designers are conscious about cost savings opportunities and contribute to our BBQ fund. Happy that they work together quite well.

Meanwhile: continue to pray...

Edited by samsamwch

Hi,

Personally I admire that your perseverance. I think you have gone to more than 10 IDs? Most people will not be able to tahan the long and tiring search process and then anyhow choose an ID.

And then, just got to pray nothing goes wrong.

Hope everything goes well for you and you don't get "carroted" biggrin.gif