Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tana0005

Ugly Gap Between Floor Laminates And Doorframe

I just installed k**no laminates in my flat recently, thou I'm very impressed by the material, I'm quite shocked by the workmanship. would like to check with fellow laminate users here if you encounter similar scenario as me.

the gap between the door frame and laminate is more than 1cm and they filled it up with colour silicon claiming that the space is for the laminates to expand and contract. although I agree that gap is important for expansion and contraction, but is a gap of more than 1cm too big? or is it an easy excuse for sloppy workmanship? I have attached some photos below to show, please advise me if you also faces the same issue.

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1524-1.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Its quite ugly ... not sure if that is normal... I will have mine done next week, I shall see..

I googled some pics abt laminating near door frames.. u might want to take a look and decide for yrself tho I dont know if we can do this in sg or not

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/laminate_flooring/door_frames.htm

Tana, i think they tried to smoke you.. I was at another guys' blog and saw his nice laminated flooring.. the door frame areas not like yours..

Hi bluesummerayz, thank you for your link.

But the link shown wooden frame which can be sawn into, mine is metal frame, which might not work in this case.

Anyway, maybe u can take note of this when u r doing your installation soon.

Whom u engage?

Hi bluesummerayz, thank you for your link.

But the link shown wooden frame which can be sawn into, mine is metal frame, which might not work in this case.

Anyway, maybe u can take note of this when u r doing your installation soon.

Whom u engage?

I am using Outlook Interior for my reno project. I seriously don't think they did right by you with the kind of shoddy job and tried to cover it up with that lame excuse.. I hope you will seek recourse and not swallow this down..

the gap is totally unacceptable

gaps between laminate to wall/door should never exceed 5mm!!

anything >5mm is too wide

A sweeping statement with seemingly strong conviction. Can you provide a credible and professional source that laminate floors do not expand more than 5mm? Do you have a clue about the standard gap requirement below the wall skirting for expansion?

I would also like to know, from professional here as well as fellow users who had their floor laid with laminates to comment about the gapping. from the net, I have seen people leaving a 10 to 15mm gap in continental countries where they have 4 seasons. but do we in tropical climate like singapore really need to follow this rule of thumb?

I have do some research on expansion coefficient of wood. the worst case in temperature fluctuation from 20 to 40 degree celcius for 20m length is only 3mm.

anyway, for future owners who do have intention to laminate their floor, do take note of this grey area. it may spoilt the otherwise beautiful laminate flooring.

Tana0005, it's the humidity here which makes the floor expand more than the temperate countries.

Also, it's not consistant as it depends on the environment, eg. if there's an air-con on part of the time, which is an excellent dehumidifier.

I also think 1cm is too wide, and the finishing looks sloppy

Internal humidity usually higher than outside,especially close to wet area (bathroom and kitchen, but still, 1 cm gap with that finishing is too much..

Usually people put skirting to close the gap and make the joint between the wall and floor looks nice and tidy

I also think 1cm is too wide, and the finishing looks sloppy

Internal humidity usually higher than outside,especially close to wet area (bathroom and kitchen, but still, 1 cm gap with that finishing is too much..

Usually people put skirting to close the gap and make the joint between the wall and floor looks nice and tidy

Oh Please who cares what you think. You are such a nauseating creature.

For the one and the half month that you are in this forum, you have done nothing else but sneaking into other people's thread to shamelessly peddle your made-in-china bamboo flooring like it's the 8th natural wonder of the world.

Now you are here taking a cheap shot at exploiting a situation with a half-witted idea that you can gain mileage for your bamboo-ware. You think that people here are not wise to your antics?

Get a reality check man!

Mine has exactly the same problem too!

Also ~10mm gap around the door frames..

The person doing the laminate flooring claimed that the large gap is necessary for expansion.. because of the large sq area.

My hse is 118 sqm.

How abt urs?