Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
verbatim

Install Normal Lights Or Downlights?

Dear Forumers,

I just bought a 123sqm resale flat and is planning to have a complete overhaul of it. I am wondering if I should just install normal lights on the ceiling, those that shaped like half hamburgers

Pros of normal lights:

1. Cheap

2. Less planning of the lights needed

3. Less power usage?

4. Easy maintenance

Cons:

1. Not nice

Or should I install downlights and covelights, which come with false ceilings and L-box.

Pros of downlights:

1. House looks more stylo

Cons:

1. More power usage

2. More expensive

3. Need to plan carefully on the lighting spots

4. Need to clean the cove lights area (the false ceilings)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or advice are kindly appreciate. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Dear Forumers,

I just bought a 123sqm resale flat and is planning to have a complete overhaul of it. I am wondering if I should just install normal lights on the ceiling, those that shaped like half hamburgers

Pros of normal lights:

1. Cheap

2. Less planning of the lights needed

3. Less power usage?

4. Easy maintenance

Cons:

1. Not nice

Or should I install downlights and covelights, which come with false ceilings and L-box.

Pros of downlights:

1. House looks more stylo

Cons:

1. More power usage

2. More expensive

3. Need to plan carefully on the lighting spots

4. Need to clean the cove lights area (the false ceilings)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or advice are kindly appreciate. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Well, i think its up to individual. For me, i will go for looks, so will be all downlight, but no covelight, afraid for dust. If you think you go for looks, downlights and cove will do the trick. Sometimes, some things can't be done after renovation. Not really can't, but will be very troublesome. So can't really save on it.

For downlight, you can choose better lighting brand like from philips. It is a tad ex then other brand, but Long run, it will save you a lot of money. As the amount of voltage used is lesser. Better still, LED lights but very expensive, again long run save you a lot more.

i feel that the good thing about downlights is that with a false ceiling, you can put the light wherever you want to...compared to normal ceiling lights which is usually fixed at 1 position...

i used downlights for my living room and master bedroom because i want to control the lightings there....the rest...normal ceiling lights will do :)

Well, i think its up to individual. For me, i will go for looks, so will be all downlight, but no covelight, afraid for dust. If you think you go for looks, downlights and cove will do the trick. Sometimes, some things can't be done after renovation. Not really can't, but will be very troublesome. So can't really save on it.

For downlight, you can choose better lighting brand like from philips. It is a tad ex then other brand, but Long run, it will save you a lot of money. As the amount of voltage used is lesser. Better still, LED lights but very expensive, again long run save you a lot more.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.

How you compare between philips power saver light (without Ballast) and normal downlight with Ballast?

I heard that power saver light will blow off within 6 months due to heat generated in the false ceiling?

Do you have experience?

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.

How you compare between philips power saver light (without Ballast) and normal downlight with Ballast?

I heard that power saver light will blow off within 6 months due to heat generated in the false ceiling?

Do you have experience?

hi,

i have not installed the downlight before, but my new house i will be doing it. And buy philips downlight with ballast. So far, i was told philips downlight generate lesser heat, and i think if you buy back philips bulb, it should not blow off that easily. Since normal downlight generates more heat, i believe it will be blown off easier.

I think you can go over to lighting shop(lightings.com.sg) and ask the sales person there. I went and the sales person was very thorough with us, and knowing that we will not buy the lights so soon, yet she is very patient and explained in details to us. The sale person there demonstrate to us, and showed us the voltage used for philips downlight with ballast and non philips with ballast each. Comparatively philips saves power more then 50% for normal downlight.

hi,

i have not installed the downlight before, but my new house i will be doing it. And buy philips downlight with ballast. So far, i was told philips downlight generate lesser heat, and i think if you buy back philips bulb, it should not blow off that easily. Since normal downlight generates more heat, i believe it will be blown off easier.

I think you can go over to lighting shop(lightings.com.sg) and ask the sales person there. I went and the sales person was very thorough with us, and knowing that we will not buy the lights so soon, yet she is very patient and explained in details to us. The sale person there demonstrate to us, and showed us the voltage used for philips downlight with ballast and non philips with ballast each. Comparatively philips saves power more then 50% for normal downlight.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Why do you choose Philips downlight with Ballast? There is more hardware than downlight without ballast.

The cost of the hardware (with and without ballast) is almost the same but the cost of the light tube without ballast is higher.

I went to lightings.com.sg and the sales recommend Philips downlight without Ballast.

They also show me that downlight without ballast is much energy saver compare to light with ballast.

For long term, you pay lesser on electrical bill and the life span is longer than the light tube with ballast.

However, my concern is some sales from other lighting shop told me that the tube without ballast blow off easily (regardless any brand of tube) as compare to tube required ballast. They explain that the heat generated from the tube (hinden) in the false ceiling is the main cause of the tube blow. Any comment?

Very hard to find an occasion where u will switch on all lights, so cost savings of expensive bulbs and what not is really negligible. In real usage, u probably turn on those u need, and switch off when u don't. So plan on switch-to-lights management rather than worry about what lighting/bulbs to use.

Have you thought of using LED downlights? I have been shopping around for 3 months already and have actually bought one unit from optiled to try out in my toilet. looks brighter and the fittings looks quite good. apparently power consumption is only half og those 2 x 13w plc

I installed 9 downlights in my living hall, i don't find their electric usage expensive. My contractor gave me 3 lighting points, so i can control how many lights to on at once. See my pictures here:

lights-down2.jpg

If you want to see other lights, click here.

Btw, just to give you a better picture of the cost, my electricity per month is around $90, 3 adults 2 kids.

LED lights at the moment are still too expensive to me, I would prefer normal electricity saving light bulbs.

Hi

Just to share our 2 cents worth during our removation,

we decided to use normal lights (vs down lights or cove lights that require a false ceiling) for the following advantages

1. save cost of false ceiling which can be quite considerable

2. reduced dust collection = easy maintanence from the cove lights

3. slightly increased headroom (from the false ceiling depth)

if you like to see the effects, click here

Hi

Just to share our 2 cents worth during our removation,

we decided to use normal lights (vs down lights or cove lights that require a false ceiling) for the following advantages

1. save cost of false ceiling which can be quite considerable

2. reduced dust collection = easy maintanence from the cove lights

3. slightly increased headroom (from the false ceiling depth)

if you like to see the effects, click here

hey, i absolutely agree with you! hahaha I installed normal ceiling lights because I didn't like false ceilings as that makes the space appear much smaller and tiny. As it is, my hdb flat already look squashed and cramped, and the term 'shoe-box' flat is getting popular with most buyers in the market.

Aesthetics (false ceiling, covelighting, downlights) and the look and 'feel' of a space does not depend solely on the downlights - many other things add/subtract to the design and space. Such as the ambience and overall quality of lighting in the room. That would include table lamps, wall lights, and floor lights.

Also how you choose and create a lighting plan for your home to give a nice, warm ambience that makes your home truly welcoming. Not only to yr family but also guests.

hmm.... but i thought it depends on how complex ur false ceiling design is. I am v.happy with the current design. it does not make my living cum dining room small nor shorter. I bought half LED and PLC downlights coz i also find LED slightly ex.

But I do want cost savings in the long run hence LED lights are installed for daily use and PLC lightings are for foyer/ shoe cabinet area.

Do note that many lighting shops claim that their LED lights are LED but notice their beam angle... they are not real LED. Real LED light should hv beam angle of ard 120 degree.

I had combed almost all lighting shops in Singapore so i think i made the right choice in terms of $$ and quality after i compare with my neighbours. :)

hmm.... but i thought it depends on how complex ur false ceiling design is. I am v.happy with the current design. it does not make my living cum dining room small nor shorter. I bought half LED and PLC downlights coz i also find LED slightly ex.

But I do want cost savings in the long run hence LED lights are installed for daily use and PLC lightings are for foyer/ shoe cabinet area.

Do note that many lighting shops claim that their LED lights are LED but notice their beam angle... they are not real LED. Real LED light should hv beam angle of ard 120 degree.

I had combed almost all lighting shops in Singapore so i think i made the right choice in terms of $$ and quality after i compare with my neighbours. :)

How do we guage the beam angle?