Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
moissanite2

Scv Point = Open Net?

Fibre is all the rage now and HTB die die wanted Mio TV cos he wants soccer!

We were quoted SCV point in the electrical package for the reno and initially we wanted to pay extra for another SCV point in the MBR. Now that we signed up for fibre and since fibre is already installed in the newly acquired flat, do I still need SCV points?? :dunno:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

SCV points is needed for starhub ...

and in future, all contents have to be broadcasted equally to all providers.

Compare the cost of adding extra SCV point with the trouble u have to gone thru if u have to add this point few years later.

(need to run cables, etc.)

yes, in the next few years u will still need scv for tv, can't expect fiber to replace normal scv anytime soon. anyway, your electrician should not charge more than $80 for any (extra) scv point.

take note mio is using the normal telephone line, so if mio is required in the bedrooms, still gotta run cable oso.

:unsure: This is getting increasingly confusing. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

1) SCV is for people who subscribe to Starhub for cable TV. So without signing with Starhub, SCV points are useless, right??

2) Open net is optics fibre connection. Signing with Starhub, Singtel or M1 for fibre plans all utilise this point?

3) Normal free tv (Ch5, Ch8, ChU, CNA etc) must connect to the normal analog antennae (if one had not signed up with Starhub)?

I let HTB sign up with Singtel for mio tv because we are getting fibre connection. Other than the free analog home phone line that Singtel throws in free, why do I need normal telephone line?? Ain't the mio tv coming in through fibre??

Sorry for my ignorance. HTB is one endangered IT dinosaur who knew nuts but wants soccer etc so no choice I gotta do the job. :P But no point paying so much if the viewing pleasure will be affected. I'm getting worried cos I'd read many horror stories of mio tv that comes through phone line freezing and hanging so that I thought it would be better if the signal comes through fibre. If it's still coming through phone line... OMG! Do I need to get a dedicated phoneline so my HTB can enjoy his EPLs?? :help:

Thanks in advance. :P

:unsure: This is getting increasingly confusing. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

1) SCV is for people who subscribe to Starhub for cable TV. So without signing with Starhub, SCV points are useless, right??

No. U can still watch free channels using scv point.

2) Open net is optics fibre connection. Signing with Starhub, Singtel or M1 for fibre plans all utilise this point?

Yes. This is an attempt to unify all isp using same infrastructure.

3) Normal free tv (Ch5, Ch8, ChU, CNA etc) must connect to the normal analog antennae (if one had not signed up with Starhub)?

U still need to connect direct to the scv outlet. For paid starhub tv n cable internet, signal is fed to a digital set top box and/or cable modem.

I let HTB sign up with Singtel for mio tv because we are getting fibre connection. Other than the free analog home phone line that Singtel throws in free, why do I need normal telephone line?? Ain't the mio tv coming in through fibre?? No need normal telephone line. Mio tv is using the existing telephone line.

Sorry for my ignorance. HTB is one endangered IT dinosaur who knew nuts but wants soccer etc so no choice I gotta do the job. :P But no point paying so much if the viewing pleasure will be affected. I'm getting worried cos I'd read many horror stories of mio tv that comes through phone line freezing and hanging so that I thought it would be better if the signal comes through fibre. If it's still coming through phone line... OMG! Do I need to get a dedicated phoneline so my HTB can enjoy his EPLs?? :help:

At the moment nothing has been promised to watch tv via fiber Mio connection. Mio has a bad reputation of freezing up which sometimes their support can't help. Becos singtel is the only broadcaster so no choice got to subscribe to watch. There are alternative websites to watch live coverage free if u know where to find.

Thanks in advance. :P

Thanks Neubie!! That really cleared the smoke for me!! :yamseng:

Bobian, already sign up for mio tv with Singtel liao so gotta keep finger crossed that it won't hang at the crucial moment!! In case it does, can you share some good websites that I can stream live for my HTB?? Who knows with my 100mbps fibre connection, watching live stream might be more shiok than mio tv through phone line!! :dancingqueen: If can't, can pm me the websites? ;)

Just went for first site visit for the "new" (actually already 30 yrs old liao) house and to my horror, ex-owner had the open net point installed right next to the main door! :bangwall: ID says he can't touch the point!! Alamak... what's next? :dunno: Pay open net $200 to relocate the point?? :help:

Some owners becos they don't see themselves using opennet but oso dun want to lugi the free installation just sign up n ask the contractors to conveniently install near the door w/o any powerpoint, w/o messing up their interiors. Relocation of point is chargeable for sure.

Some owners becos they don't see themselves using opennet but oso dun want to lugi the free installation just sign up n ask the contractors to conveniently install near the door w/o any powerpoint, w/o messing up their interiors. Relocation of point is chargeable for sure.

Because Opennet only do the normal trunking if the Opennet box is installed near the tv point (recommended by Opennet). It will look ugly. The other alternative is to hack the cornies and false ceiling to conceal the cabling. This is probably the reason why the previous owner do it up to the entrance only, becos he want to save the trouble and money.