Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bunnymummy

Any Reviews Of Ikea Sofas?

I was once skeptical of their furnitures becoz of old people always saying ikea stuff wont last. now that i have my own home and family, nearly half of the furnitures in our house are from ikea and we are planning to get more in the near future. well, u gotta choose properly. some of their products are of low quality and some are cheap but sturdy and good. like all places/shops, nothing is always good. we, as consumers, have to choose wisely. Cheers and have fun shopping for your next furniture!

ikea EKTORP and PS Sofa are one of the best (for me). lasted me for years with heavy usage.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

and also, just fyi if you haven't already know, i think they have a refund policy where you can reject the furnitures if you discovered that it doesnt go well/fit nicely with your house of other furnitures, and you can also refund the mattress if you changed your mind about it. something like that. check out their website :)

I was once skeptical of their furnitures becoz of old people always saying ikea stuff wont last. now that i have my own home and family, nearly half of the furnitures in our house are from ikea and we are planning to get more in the near future. well, u gotta choose properly. some of their products are of low quality and some are cheap but sturdy and good. like all places/shops, nothing is always good. we, as consumers, have to choose wisely. Cheers and have fun shopping for your next furniture!

I've never had much issues with my Ikea furnitures. My kids bed which I bot 5-years ago is still as good as new. Nothing spoilt. Mattress still in good shape though much softer now. I also have 3 pieces of their chest of drawers, 1 side table, 1 kids cupboard with those colourful plastic drawers and 1 shoe case.

All going on to 3-years and still in good condition. This depsite our slamming the drawers shut, rough handling it on occassions and lots of shifting the furniture around to maximise space.

However, one thing I have noticed is - get their delivery guys to do up the furnitures for you. Do not DIY. For some reasons, those stuffs that we DIY-ed, they came apart faster. But those fixed by the Ikea delivery people, lasts very long. :good:

Edited by KittyJems

Well, I rather do it with my factory contact. I've done several things with them, and happy with the service and goods provided.

Like some mentioned, if cushion cover damage, throw and replace cover. But if foam damage? Or some parts loosen? That would be quite waste to throw the whole set.

With my case, I can always call back the factory and ask for replacement or repair with a fraction of cost. Be it cushion covers, frame, foam or even the stands for the sofa.....and not touching on you can mix and match whatever you feel like to with materials and colours overtime. Also not forgetting of the customisation for the sofa as in like size and design. :sport-smiley-003:

If need contact, just give me a PM. As not good to post here.

Happy shopping!

you are right about the water soaking in part..... we were always careful when mopping floor and tried not too make the floor too wet for too long. but now with a maid, my ikea side drawers and small book shelf are affected.... :curse:

I guess it's a matter of selecting the suitable type of furniture for your lifestyle. One thing good about them, you are unlikely to get unsatisfactory customer service from them, they always entertain refunds with not questions asked.... :D

u can buy those soft wooden cork to be inserted at the bottom of the shelf and tables. just stick to the four corners can le... of course i go an extra mile by pasting adhesive verneer over it...

you are right about the water soaking in part..... we were always careful when mopping floor and tried not too make the floor too wet for too long. but now with a maid, my ikea side drawers and small book shelf are affected.... :curse:

I guess it's a matter of selecting the suitable type of furniture for your lifestyle. One thing good about them, you are unlikely to get unsatisfactory customer service from them, they always entertain refunds with not questions asked.... :D

hmmm... my ikea armchair (single sitter sofa), cost less than $100, is still kicking well after 2 years. my lacked table is the 2nd i am using, the first is gone after 3 years. it cost 12.90, which means i pay $3.90 for 1 year. my TV console is $25, a small black colour one i got this year. the wardrobe is usable after 3 years, but not that firm anymore, the small shelf was gone, after 4 years, which cost me about less than 50.

i would say that most of these, well can last long enough to cover my needs. infact, most of them are black in colour(i do paint some of them black myself, since i am rather good at DIY), as i love the exotic feeling in the past. some sort of work to enhance the durablity are done, like soft cork base are stick to the lacked table as i do know its base cant contact with water, some adhesive verneer to give extra protection and enrich colour. these arent expensive at all.

i am thinking of slowly changing some of the pieces of furniture that age going to die soon with newer ikea furnitures. and this time i prefer to have light brown woody colour. i am going to slowly replace them at time to come, and going to paint my room beige. this will give me a completely new style, and i would say, the price is fairly reasonable.

what is wrong with IKEA? maybe its just the sofa?

My study table, bedroom wardrobe, book cabinet, coffee table and chairs has all been with me for the pass 10 years...

even my office, you can still find ikea tables that are still in tip top condition.....

seriously, if you hunt at some HDB shops you can get good and cheap stuff too....but the look might be a little bit too old fashioned for some of us...:P

for me, rental property its better to lease furniture then to get IKEA furniture. Also try hunting at those refurbish workshop, sometime you will find interesting things around . You will be surprise at the premium that you can demand in rental for a nicely renovated house....

I have no idea how come they fall apart as I don't wish to get nosy and invade into my tenant's privacy by checking on the state of the funiture during the lease. I tried leasing furniture from those rental companies but they are also quite expensive.

what is wrong with IKEA? maybe its just the sofa?

My study table, bedroom wardrobe, book cabinet, coffee table and chairs has all been with me for the pass 10 years...

even my office, you can still find ikea tables that are still in tip top condition.....

seriously, if you hunt at some HDB shops you can get good and cheap stuff too....but the look might be a little bit too old fashioned for some of us...:P

for me, rental property its better to lease furniture then to get IKEA furniture. Also try hunting at those refurbish workshop, sometime you will find interesting things around . You will be surprise at the premium that you can demand in rental for a nicely renovated house....

To me Ikea sofa is getting more and more expensive, last year I checked out their leather sofa, a PVC sofa already costs around $1300, I don't think is cheap and I don't recommend to buy with their quality. I've a few Ikea furnitures before and all got problems in the first year. The book shelf and shoes case collapsed easily. My dining table is still there but already repaired more than 3 times. I take good care of all my furnitures, for those rough users, I'm sure it'll be gone in less than a year.

That is the exact problem I am facing now. When my outgoing tenants leaves the apartments after a year or two, the incoming tenants would insist on new furniture because they saw that the Ikea furniture in the unit cannot make it anymore and they tell me that I should change it for them since Ikea is CHEAP! Their prices are not Cheap if you benchmarked it against their build quality.

To me Ikea sofa is getting more and more expensive, last year I checked out their leather sofa, a PVC sofa already costs around $1300, I don't think is cheap and I don't recommend to buy with their quality. I've a few Ikea furnitures before and all got problems in the first year. The book shelf and shoes case collapsed easily. My dining table is still there but already repaired more than 3 times. I take good care of all my furnitures, for those rough users, I'm sure it'll be gone in less than a year.

Well, I'll review for the fabric Klippan sofa I bought about 10 years ago. Pretty satisfied overall since it only cost $300 plus. I got washable cotton sofa cover for it, so extra $100.

Only complaint would be the springs go "soft" after about a year but still ok until recently when I can feel the springs in some places - so time to change.

But if I can't find another sofa that has clean lines and value for money, I think I would still buy another Klippan sofa - maybe another colour though.

Daveyap,

edeimar has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Any Reviews Of Ikea Sofas?".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- QUOTE ----------

You are right of course. I know of some people who just loves to buy cheap disposable furniture like Ikea so that they can keep changing them. If Ikea were ever to launch an IPO here, I will be among the first to buy them since their gross profit margin is extremely high.

-----------------------------

Its quite obvious you are from executive living.. kind of a shame actually

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41530&view=getnewpost

Hey Edeimar,

I received this in my email. Did you just accuse me of being from Executive Living?! Please do not associate me with furniture salespeople in here. I am just an ordinary consumer and I got nothing to hide since I AM USING MY REAL NAME unlike most other people in here. If you bother to read all my postings in here, other than my leather office chair which I bought for home use, the rest of my home furniture are teakwood that I purchased from a small furniture shop along East Coast Road. And I also buy crappy Ikea furniture for my investment properties. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY ANY HOME FURNITURE FROM ANY FURNITURE RETAILER BECAUSE GOOD FURNITURE RETAILERS ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN!

Cheers

Dave Yap

You seem to have a lot of issues with Ikea... but don't need to spill your bitterness into here. I am sure people would like to have some useful feedback on the sofas (not just ikea furniture in general).

Anyway, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. For the price of Ikea sofas, think cannot expect too much as well.

This is not about me being bitter about Ikea furniture. Why can't they make value for money furnitures that can last a long time? Is it too much to ask of them to do just that or does this come across as an unreasonable request. Anyway, I only buy Ikea for my investment rental properties as every incoming and outgoing tenant expects new furniture and stuff.