Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Serene T3

Left In The Lurch For Csc...

Hi, my contractor has left us in a lurch. He did not complete our CSC. Also, water is seeping through the back yard.

I called the Architect but it seems like he is also gone. :dunno:

I need advise on how should I proceed...

Tried calling the Building Plan Department, only can left message but no one call back.

Do I need a new Architect? On an estimate, how much do I need to pay?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, my contractor has left us in a lurch. He did not complete our CSC. Also, water is seeping through the back yard.

I called the Architect but it seems like he is also gone. :dunno:

I need advise on how should I proceed...

Tried calling the Building Plan Department, only can left message but no one call back.

Do I need a new Architect? On an estimate, how much do I need to pay?

Hi Serene,

Two of my neighbours had a similar experience like you and I assisted them. Looks like your case is one of inferior quality construction cum contractor running away. You will need to spend some money to do the following:

(1) Investigate what is wrong with the construction works. More defects may show up later. This is a common problem for many homeowners who rebuild their house with inferior quality materials and poor hands on supervision. Rectification of poor workmanship and replacement of inferior quality materials may be high. Hence, would have to study into what are the defects before thinking of alternative solutions to replacement.

(2) If you have got your TOP already and CSC is not given, it could mean that there are some works outstanding, usually external works. You will need to hire an architect to help you with the submission of document and get a contractor to make good the outstanding works.

Can't estimate the cost, until you are able to furnish more details. If the contractor is still around, best to persuade him to complete the works. If that is impossible, I guess you probably have to take legal recourse to recover your losses, provided the contractor is able to pay damages and you are able to challenge this successfully in Court.

If you wish to share privately with me, you can pm me your contact and email address. It sometimes pain me to know that forumers try to save on small amounts of money in construction and end up with big inferior construction quality.

Usually architect will stay around since you hired them. Is yours design and build? If so contractor hired architect. If one gone the other will follow. You can try contacting them directly if you need help with the submissions etc.

Usually architect will stay around since you hired them. Is yours design and build? If so contractor hired architect. If one gone the other will follow. You can try contacting them directly if you need help with the submissions etc.

For my case, my engineer was liaising with various departments for the CSC. Not sure if only the architect can do the submissions or if it can be anyone else.

You can also check with NParks and BCA on what are the outstanding reifications on your property and once you know what else is left to do, contact contractors for quote on what it will take to rectify those areas.

For my case, my engineer was liaising with various departments for the CSC. Not sure if only the architect can do the submissions or if it can be anyone else.

Depending on complexity, QP engineer can also do the submission for you. For more complex works, you will need the architect's help.

Hi all,

CSC not approved.

Did renovations to my landed property.

However due to miscommunication, we did additional minor renovations before the CSC was obtained.

Hence CSC application failed.

2 options. 

1. Remove illegal structures then reapply for CSC

2.Heck care CSC.

Tempted to go with option 2, but unsure if it im affect future sale of property or new renovations.

Please kindly advise:)

4 minutes ago, tofupetya said:

Hi all,

CSC not approved.

However due to miscommunication, we did additional minor renovations before the CSC was obtained.

2 options. 

2.Heck care CSC.

Tempted to go with option 2, but unsure if it im affect future sale of property or new renovations.

You will need CSC else next time will have problems selling the house.

If the illegal structures are already flagged by BCA or other agencies, the only way is to remove them first then put back again later if you want. Hope your illegal structures are not too extensive else will become a big headache

4 hours ago, tofupetya said:

Hi all,

CSC not approved.

2 options. 

2.Heck care CSC.

Please oh please don't be stupid to go for option 2. There will be extremely serious legal consequences.

Rules & regulation have tighten since the various past incidents (ie:  Hotel New World, Nicol Highway, School Roof collapse during construction, etc).

I have not view your property but the worse case scenario your entire building might be consider illegal & need to be rebuild. I say this as the relevant department usually; I speculate, have a kia-xi attitude. Nobody will want to be responsible in this sort of situation. hence they'll most likely be more strict to check everything. When somethings doesn't tally with their records, the cycle continue until a point where the inevitable might happen. This will definitely result in long delay...

Any changes / addition / omitted in the design during the construction must go through the Architect (ie: you mention CSC so my guess is you have an Architect for endorsement & submission). The Architect is the only qualified person to advice you if the changes need to submit amendment plans (addition Architect's / Authorities fees will be needed)

Good luck...

Also, CSC, TOP is required. Why?

Without this, you basically will not be able to apply for water, electricity, internet, postal services & the list goes on. Also property tax will be a MAJOR issue.

Just more knowledge for all. CSC basically is short for Certificate of Statutory Completion. Key word being Statutory.

This is, in layman's term, a collective acknowledgement / confirmation that approval is issued by all gov department (ie: in charges of water, sewer, structure, electrical wiring, fibre cable, etc). 

So when you don't have CSC, your licensed electrician / licensed plumber can't submit to have incoming water, electricity, gas, telecom, etc.

How are you as a owner going to move in if property does not have incoming supplies.

I don't think any Singaporean would dare to mess with the tax man on property tax.

Simply put it. The building regulation links everything & everyone up to be responsible & liable. Even the property owner is liable. I strongly urge all property owner to read the fine print of all those documents you have to sign during the initial stage of the job (Both commencement of design / construction stage)

Edited by 3Cube
spelling

• Like 1

It might be different between A&A/reconstruction and full rebuilt.

i was able to apply for electricity and water before I obtained TOP for my new built. Why? TOP clearance is required from PUB. If I do not have electricity and water, SP and PUB can’t perform the necessary tests. Without these tests reports, they can’t issue me my TOP cert for submission to BCA to apply for TOP.

Apply for internet service, ISP don’t even bother to check if got TOP or not. As long as fibre line is tested working, they just turn on for you.

postal service also don’t care. Letters were still sent to my address when it was a piece of flat land. Postman just drop letter into the mailbox as usual.

i had even gotten CSC from NEA even before the house foundation was cast as they just require lodgement from QP.

IRAS is concerned about TOP date because that is the date they use to change your tax payment amount. 

now just waiting for overall CSC to be issued by BCA but already staying at my new place with all necessary services in place.

Thread starter, don’t you have retention sum before obtaining CSC? Usually there’s a 10% retention sum after TOP obtain to cover the 1 year defect warranty and also to cover the obtaining CSC. Most often, CSC after TOP always concern external works with namely 3 agencies: NParks, LTA and PUB.

22 minutes ago, AWS said:

Thread starter, don’t you have retention sum before obtaining CSC? Usually there’s a 10% retention sum after TOP obtain to cover the 1 year defect warranty and also to cover the obtaining CSC. Most often, CSC after TOP always concern external works with namely 3 agencies: NParks, LTA and PUB.

LTA Is the main issue nowadays and very slow to response. Every submission takes 1 month to reply. I even had to call the hotline to look for the officer as she didn’t bother to reply my emails sent to her and calls to the office number isn’t answered due to WFH arrangements. I am lucky that after my chasing, I got my LTA CSC clearance after 4 months. My contractor’s other job only got clearance after 1 year as LTA kept finding new faults after each inspection.