Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kopimonster

Comments On Wooden Decking

hello, newbie here :) firstly, hope that i posted in the right section.

I am very keen on doing up my balcony with wooden decking, but i am pretty concern with maintenance in the long term. heard that it gets mouldy easily and costs and effort require to maintain it will be quite high.

anyone have any expereince maintaining them? any comments? what are the efforts and costs involve in maintaining them?

thanks in advance :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I had the same concern so I opted for full recycled plastic lumber decking instead. It's made of recycled plastic and looks similar to wood (diff colours to choose). Won't absorb any moisture at all, no staining, no moulding. And Eco-Friendly!

I just ordered decking for my 2 balconies from Wagon Equipment Pte Ltd. I found the price is about the same or cheaper than composite decking and maybe slightly more ex than the very cheap wooden ones. I'm going to install it this Friday! :) I managed to get a very good price from this co, other companies quoted me $300 - $700 bucks more for composite!

Can try asking for an on-site visit/quote, no obligation: David or Jim at 91279454.

Edited by Bunnymummy

I had the same concern so I opted for full recycled plastic lumber decking instead. It's made of recycled plastic and looks similar to wood (diff colours to choose). Won't absorb any moisture at all, no staining, no moulding. And Eco-Friendly!

I just ordered decking for my 2 balconies from Wagon Equipment Pte Ltd. I found the price is about the same or cheaper than composite decking and maybe slightly more ex than the very cheap wooden ones. I'm going to install it this Friday! :) I managed to get a very good price from this co, other companies quoted me $300 - $700 bucks more for composite!

Can try asking for an on-site visit/quote, no obligation: David or Jim at 91279454.

thanks Bunnymummy, will definitly explore that option :)

Hihi! Just to update, they came today to install my recycled plastic decking! Started at 9 am and finished at about 4 pm, they do it very carefully and all the boards are placed very close together with no gaps, very neat! And no protruding nails. The finished work was very nice, I'm very pleased with it. I wish I brought my camera to take a photo. All in all I think it was a good decision cos I've been peeking at my next door neighbour's decking which is chengai wood and I can see the colour is different from when they installed it last month, so fast starting to fade already because of the strong sunlight.

The decking really looks like real wood, they even have the wood grain that looks quite natural. They even make some removable at the end so that I can store things inside the planter if needed. I would def recommend them to others. :)

Hihi! Just to update, they came today to install my recycled plastic decking! Started at 9 am and finished at about 4 pm, they do it very carefully and all the boards are placed very close together with no gaps, very neat! And no protruding nails. The finished work was very nice, I'm very pleased with it. I wish I brought my camera to take a photo. All in all I think it was a good decision cos I've been peeking at my next door neighbour's decking which is chengai wood and I can see the colour is different from when they installed it last month, so fast starting to fade already because of the strong sunlight.

The decking really looks like real wood, they even have the wood grain that looks quite natural. They even make some removable at the end so that I can store things inside the planter if needed. I would def recommend them to others. :)

hi there,

i am planning to do up balcony decking too and as my balcony is quite huge, it would cost me quite a lot of get either composite wood or real wood. anyway hope u can share some pics of the finished work and can drop by to look see... :)

hi there,

i am planning to do up balcony decking too and as my balcony is quite huge, it would cost me quite a lot of get either composite wood or real wood. anyway hope u can share some pics of the finished work and can drop by to look see... :)

Hi there, I'll bring my camera over later to take some pics since I going over today. :) My 2 balcony is quite big too, the planter box area is about 10.5 sq meters in total. But I feel the price they quoted me is very reasonable (compared to the other companies) and also their workmanship is v good. One more thing, they are v honest too as they just called me to tell me that I wrote cheque wrongly and overpaid them! They will be refunding me the extra... if they don't tell me I won't even notice. :P

Hi there, I'll bring my camera over later to take some pics since I going over today. :) My 2 balcony is quite big too, the planter box area is about 10.5 sq meters in total. But I feel the price they quoted me is very reasonable (compared to the other companies) and also their workmanship is v good. One more thing, they are v honest too as they just called me to tell me that I wrote cheque wrongly and overpaid them! They will be refunding me the extra... if they don't tell me I won't even notice. :P

thanks.

where are they located? i found 2 addresses online 38 Woodlands Industrial Park E1 #07-06 Singapore 757700 and #01-61, 9008 Tampines St 93, Singapore 528843. they don't have any website to view their works.

thanks.

where are they located? i found 2 addresses online 38 Woodlands Industrial Park E1 #07-06 Singapore 757700 and #01-61, 9008 Tampines St 93, Singapore 528843. they don't have any website to view their works.

Eh... the invoice is in my car, can't check for u.. sorry. But I didn't go to the website or address, they came down to measure and give me a no-obligation quote at my place with all the samples of the materials. I just called them up after getting a recommendation from my Dad.

Ok, here are some pics of my plastic decking from Wagon Equip. :D

006.jpg

005.jpg

hi,

thanks for the pics.

they are closely fixed up...hmm..no space for water to flow down?

can pm me the price and area (sqf) that you made? any darker colours available?

Hi. Loved the look of your new balcony. Thinking of doing the same. But could I check first on your experience regarding its maintenance. I am worried about ants and other making insects making themselves at home below the decking.

Hi, I don't know about ants or insects underneath (I just installed it recently and haven't moved in yet). I was told that the plastic won't attract termites like real wood will though. I think if you mean whether any insects will make nest inside the planter box, I think will be the same chance whatever kind of decking is used.. haha.

Thank you Kopimonster! I am loving it too, so far even with my potted plants and rainwater and soil dropping on it, it's still in good condition and no colour changes so far. Easy to clean, just wipe! Happy with the choice that I made.

Kopimonster very interesting information here. May yourself or any expert advice on the durability of these plastic granted our harsh weather conditions. My deck receives the rain and hot afternoon sun thus in a long run will these fade quickly or warp out of shape?

thanks for your advice

Edited by Morgan01