Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

Calculate Build Up Area

anyone can help guide me on how to calculate the build up. I have forgotten what it was when we build the house. Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

anyone can help guide me on how to calculate the build up. I have forgotten what it was when we build the house. Thanks

I think best to check with your architect for the exact calculated area.

URA has some guidelines stated in its website. You can google for it.

lee: i can get the gfa but not sure how they add those external eg. ledges, balcony etc to come up with a build up. My BIL is looking to buy a place near my house but some of the places we saw are intermediate terraces and claimed to have build up of 4200sqft-4500sqft. I am trying to figure out how they do this using my own construction drawing and have not been successful.

lee: i can get the gfa but not sure how they add those external eg. ledges, balcony etc to come up with a build up. My BIL is looking to buy a place near my house but some of the places we saw are intermediate terraces and claimed to have build up of 4200sqft-4500sqft. I am trying to figure out how they do this using my own construction drawing and have not been successful.

I think using GFA is the more conservative approach in computing area. The built up area which consist of all the area which a shadow can be cast, all the steps in the house, etc... tend to be an exaggeration of the actual area. Developers of condo always use built up area to make their units look bigger than actual. A fairer way of computing is to include all useable balconies of which some may not qualify for GFA but should not include RC ledges and air-con ledges and areas whose height is below 1.5 metres.

You can email me the floor plan with dimensions of the house and I can help you do a brief computation of the useable area.

I think using GFA is the more conservative approach in computing area. The built up area which consist of all the area which a shadow can be cast, all the steps in the house, etc... tend to be an exaggeration of the actual area. Developers of condo always use built up area to make their units look bigger than actual. A fairer way of computing is to include all useable balconies of which some may not qualify for GFA but should not include RC ledges and air-con ledges and areas whose height is below 1.5 metres.

You can email me the floor plan with dimensions of the house and I can help you do a brief computation of the useable area.

I agree with leechaorui. If you intend to buy a house, understand what are in the GFA computed in the approved plans. If you intend to sell a house, then of cos, you want to sell BUILT-UP Area that includes, bay windows, air-con ledges, planter boxes, pavilion, roof terrace, shadow areas, etc