Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
archenemy

Wmf Knives

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

been using WMF pots pans and knives for 1mth+

so far so good no complain

:thumbs up:

I had 2 WMF pots.

Very good quality.

:good:

great to hear that...

but are the knives worth the money?

I would recommend against buying the whole set of knives as u rarely use them. You can get most jobs done with 2 knives, chef's knife and paring knife.

Buy a good quality ones (higher ranger), either from Zwilling. You also can buy the Miyabi range from them, http://www2.zwilling.com/en-US/News-Events--news/Chapter--kapitel/MIYABI-Knives--2664.html. Just 2 knives will do.

I tried WMF knives before and don't like the handling.

I would recommend against buying the whole set of knives as u rarely use them. You can get most jobs done with 2 knives, chef's knife and paring knife.

Buy a good quality ones (higher ranger), either from Zwilling. You also can buy the Miyabi range from them, http://www2.zwilling.com/en-US/News-Events--news/Chapter--kapitel/MIYABI-Knives--2664.html. Just 2 knives will do.

I tried WMF knives before and don't like the handling.

thanks for that alternative view..

i have tried both Zwilling and WMF's knives..and i feel that the weight distribution of WMF is better...feel more comfortable with it..

i checked out the price...2 knives and the sharpening rod will cost just as much as the set itself..might as well get the set..comes with a wooden block to keep the knives too!

I think their knives are quite okay but like all expensive knives you need to take very good care of them. Must wash and dry immediately after use, don't leave them soaking in your sink in water (will rust and stain). They also can be damaged by scratches and hard knocks on things.

In the end I find I use my "cheapo" chopper and knives more often than the expensive ones, haha. If spoilt can just throw away and buy a new one. Esp since I cook very frequently. If you don't cook that often, a nice set will be good for "display". :)

WMF pots on the other hand, I cannot recommend. I bought a set 5 years ago and they are hideous now. The shiny metal has marks and water stains on the base of the inside from the very first use which cannot be removed. Apparently they are a result of boiling potatoes or some other salted items in water in the pots, some chemical reaction... I don't see how you can avoid this if you love to cook.

And the rod is not sharpening rod, it's steeling rod. The purpose of the rod is to realign the edges of the knife, it will not sharpen it.

To sharpen, u need whetstones or other devices.

Everyone have their own choice, I find that having just 2 knives make it easier, specially they are much sharper.

In any case, whatever knives u buy, u can bring it to professional to sharpen them. Off-the-shelf knives are not sharpened to optimum at all.

I think their knives are quite okay but like all expensive knives you need to take very good care of them. Must wash and dry immediately after use, don't leave them soaking in your sink in water (will rust and stain). They also can be damaged by scratches and hard knocks on things.

In the end I find I use my "cheapo" chopper and knives more often than the expensive ones, haha. If spoilt can just throw away and buy a new one. Esp since I cook very frequently. If you don't cook that often, a nice set will be good for "display". :)

WMF pots on the other hand, I cannot recommend. I bought a set 5 years ago and they are hideous now. The shiny metal has marks and water stains on the base of the inside from the very first use which cannot be removed. Apparently they are a result of boiling potatoes or some other salted items in water in the pots, some chemical reaction... I don't see how you can avoid this if you love to cook.

it is my habit to wash & wipe my knives after using them..like sushi chef :rolleyes:

haha..so im fine with that i guess..

i also reckon i will cook quite often...

the WMF pots i have...sigh..boh pian..buy already..guess i have to take care of them then..thanks for the feedback!

And the rod is not sharpening rod, it's steeling rod. The purpose of the rod is to realign the edges of the knife, it will not sharpen it.

To sharpen, u need whetstones or other devices.

Everyone have their own choice, I find that having just 2 knives make it easier, specially they are much sharper.

In any case, whatever knives u buy, u can bring it to professional to sharpen them. Off-the-shelf knives are not sharpened to optimum at all.

i see..thanks! i learn something..

by the way, will professionals sharpen these kind of kitchen knives? i always have the impression they do industrial cutters more..

any recommendations where i can do the sharpening?

The point about sharpening is true, I used the stick they provided to try to sharpen mine and scratched it horribly. Best to leave it to the professionals next time... haha.

We were deciding between WMF and Zwilling knifes previously. After a few days of considerations, we settled on a Zwilling Five Star combo package (just the Santoku and Paring knife, plus a sharpening tool) which was retailing at $125. Figured we would not be using most of the other knifes which were good to have, but not really necessary to have. Most other places we checked were selling at $168 without the sharpening tool. Have not used it yet, but based on my experience with my mom's Zwilling Twin Pollux knifes (the lower range) it should be quite good to use.

I bought the Zwilling Four Star knife set. Again, don't think I will need everything, but it's just more worth it to get that entire set than the knives which are necessary. For WMF and Zwilling knives, there is the Made in China and Made in Germany ones. Prices of the German made ones are about double that of the China made ones.

I'm eyeing ceramic knife but quite expensive and cannot cut bone.

Very pretty and very thin! But didn't realise cannot cut bone...

The point about sharpening is true, I used the stick they provided to try to sharpen mine and scratched it horribly. Best to leave it to the professionals next time... haha.

Btw, how often should we sharpen our knives? I lived on 2 knives over 4 years in uni overseas and never sharpend them once!