Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
archenemy

Wmf Knives

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My mum had 2 WMF pots and a WMF wok from many years back and it still looks quite good, no marks whatever. So I guess mileage may vary for everyone bah...

When I bought my WMF wok, I was told my the sales person to boil some water with vinegar in it first before 1st use or something like that... What's the purpose, anyone knows?

My mum had 2 WMF pots and a WMF wok from many years back and it still looks quite good, no marks whatever. So I guess mileage may vary for everyone bah...

When I bought my WMF wok, I was told my the sales person to boil some water with vinegar in it first before 1st use or something like that... What's the purpose, anyone knows?

Maybe its to prevent the staining that my pots had experienced. No one told me I'm supposed to boil vinegar water in it before use. ;)

Btw, how often should we sharpen our knives? I lived on 2 knives over 4 years in uni overseas and never sharpend them once!

i guess it pretty much depends on what you cut often...how you cut and your expectations..

i cannot stand "sawing" if you know what i mean..which means its time for me to sharpen my knife.

Maybe its to prevent the staining that my pots had experienced. No one told me I'm supposed to boil vinegar water in it before use. ;)

was the salesperson an auntie?

sometimes these tips..only those aunties can provide! those younger generation wont know such stuff!

any particular brand or place i can look for bro?

1 thing i realise..japanese knives rarely see cleavers....

http://www.kai-ind.co.jp/en/ - this is available in Tangs

was the salesperson an auntie?

sometimes these tips..only those aunties can provide! those younger generation wont know such stuff!

Maybe... cannot recall. Is it an old wives tale?

http://www.kai-ind.co.jp/en/ - this is available in Tangs

Maybe... cannot recall. Is it an old wives tale?

thanks for the link!

i dont know about this vinegar thing also.but i know people used to buy pig fat and fry in their traditional woks before they used it..maybe its the equilivent of a teflon coating?

haha...

I have been using my Zwelling knives for 11 years now, still good as new, and I'm a heavy user too. Sharpen myself with the whetstone. May consider bringing them to that link posted by Ngunadi soon. I do like my WMF bread knife and carving knife (great for turkey and ham over Christmas!)

I have been using my Zwelling knives for 11 years now, still good as new, and I'm a heavy user too. Sharpen myself with the whetstone. May consider bringing them to that link posted by Ngunadi soon. I do like my WMF bread knife and carving knife (great for turkey and ham over Christmas!)

so you didnt purchase a set? since you got both?

any particular reason why you chose WMF bread and carving knife instead of Zwilling?

HI Archenemy, had the Zwilling set for a long time, it was one of those sets that come with the wooden block with 5 knives and a straightener. I found the WMF carving knife very solid, coz it's whole piece instead of those with wooden handles, easier to carve meat. The bread knife i like coz it looks nice ;)

HI Archenemy, had the Zwilling set for a long time, it was one of those sets that come with the wooden block with 5 knives and a straightener. I found the WMF carving knife very solid, coz it's whole piece instead of those with wooden handles, easier to carve meat. The bread knife i like coz it looks nice ;)

ahh..i see...

yeah i also like those that comes cast in a single piece...no joints means its much stronger...

ahh..i see...

yeah i also like those that comes cast in a single piece...no joints means its much stronger...

Unfortunately, that is only the impression. The knife that comes with bolster/tang might be actually stronger than the forged knife.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/130/Knife-Parts

In the past, forged steel was always deemed to be stronger and more durable than the steel used in stamped knives, but this is no longer necessarily true. The quality of steel used in some stamped knives can exceed the quality of steel in many forged knives. Also, stamped blades can be affixed with parts that are normally only present on forged knives such as a bolster or finger guard. As such, these features can no longer be used to determine accurately if a knife is forged or stamped -- but because a stamped blade is not necessarily a knife of poorer quality, one should not use the fact that a knife is stamped or not to determine if the knife is of higher or lower quality. Instead, the performance of the knife, how well balanced it is, feel, and finish should be much more important to the selection of the knife than whether or not the metal is stamped or forged.