Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
matrix0405

Security For Glass Sliding Door For Landed

New or Modern house seems to be using less and less brick walls, replacing with glass sliding doors/wall. Glass gives the house a modern sleek look and allows more light to enter the house. But what about the security aspect? The more recent ones don't even come with grills. Is there a new glass in the market that is much stronger (stronger than tampered?) Will the bad guys be able to smash the glass to enter the house? Won't the bad guys be able to use a diamond cutter to cut a hole hear the locks then unlock the doors from inside (like in the movies)? If the house (condo) is half way in the sky, it is less of a concern. How do landed owners address this security concern?

Edited by matrix0405

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

New or Modern house seems to be using less and less brick walls, replacing with glass sliding doors/wall. Glass gives the house a modern sleek look and allows more light to enter the house. But what about the security aspect? The more recent ones don't even come with grills. Is there a new glass in the market that is much stronger (stronger than tampered?) Will the bad guys be able to smash the glass to enter the house? Won't the bad guys be able to use a diamond cutter to cut a hole hear the locks then unlock the doors from inside (like in the movies)? If the house (condo) is half way in the sky, it is less of a concern. How do landed owners address this security concern?

i think u are referring to bullet proof glass

I have glass sliding doors at my place. I think it requires quite a paradigm shift. It is a move to a more gracious living concept and not be too worried about having to fence up everything and make sure we are very securely protected. My walls are scalable and my place can be broken into. When I was away for a holiday, I accidentally left the door ajar and thankfully, nothing happened. My estate is relatively safe with lots of joggers jogging past my house quite regularly and my neigbours are cordial and they generally help look out for one another. Nonetheless, the determined intruder can certainly break the glass sliding door and enter my house.

If you are concern or your sense is the estate is not quite safe, you can keep fierce big dogs or install security alarm and cameras. These would deter some criminals.

Cheers!

" ..... The more recent ones don't even come with grills. "

Landed properties that came with grilles were those built in the 70s, like Opera Estate. That was a long long time ago.

Safety and security is a personal choice.

" ..... The more recent ones don't even come with grills. "

Landed properties that came with grilles were those built in the 70s, like Opera Estate. That was a long long time ago.

Safety and security is a personal choice.

ya i think landed are pretty safe these days. My house (before renovation), the gates and main doors were always open from 8am till 7pm. The gas delivery man walk into the house, refill the gas tank and my grandmother sitting in the living room doesn't even know anything!

Put a strip of wood along the sliding track, that would block the inner piece of door from sliding.

Drill a hole at the bottom of the outer piece of door, use a small door latch attached to the wooden strip, locking the outer piece of glass door.

ya i think landed are pretty safe these days. My house (before renovation), the gates and main doors were always open from 8am till 7pm. The gas delivery man walk into the house, refill the gas tank and my grandmother sitting in the living room doesn't even know anything!

It felt safer 3 years ago, seems like getting less safe now; body count is one per week (water tank; reserviour, parks). Even burger king also got robbed, which was unheard of. With a wider mix of people, a wider range of crime can be expected. But so far, is there any news/ break-in where the bad guys gain entry by breaking glass door?

Each household has to decide on how much security they need. You can go from almost no cost to a 5 figure sum.

These categories can help you evaluate your needs:

- Deter

- Detect

- Detain

Are you happy just to deter? If yes, get a basic set up which has a siren on your front wall and basic intrusion detection for the more easily accessible entry points. You hope that any potential burglar will see the siren box and decide not to take the chance.

You are not comfortable just deterring? You can secure all access points. You can also secure against both forced entry as well as breaking of glass. You can also have layered detection - detection at access points and motion detection inside the house.

You want to catch the fella? Put up CCTVs, engage a central monitoring service. Some don't just monitor and inform police, but they also come down. Response can be unarmed or armed too.

Don't forget the tighter the security, the more inconvenient it can be for your daily activities.

So some people simply lock up when they go out, and when you go for holiday, just tell your neighbour to keep an eye out for you.

The solutions are varied. To each his own level of comfort.

i got a quotation from this security company to install security system cost about 4k. Is this consider expensive? Then the guy said if no security system, insurance will quote me more expensive? True ah?

i mean i've been staying in landed all my life, never encountered break in before, choy choy choy touch wood, but maybe my houses are all very old and very super lok?

The only reason why i'm thinking of installing security system is becoz i overhaul the entire place so it now looks 10x better than the row of old neighbors and becoz still under renovation, i can easily conceal the wires instead of having them exposed?

QUestion : Is it worth to do security? Would dogs (sheepdogs) suffice?

i got a quotation from this security company to install security system cost about 4k. Is this consider expensive? Then the guy said if no security system, insurance will quote me more expensive? True ah?

i mean i've been staying in landed all my life, never encountered break in before, choy choy choy touch wood, but maybe my houses are all very old and very super lok?

The only reason why i'm thinking of installing security system is becoz i overhaul the entire place so it now looks 10x better than the row of old neighbors and becoz still under renovation, i can easily conceal the wires instead of having them exposed?

QUestion : Is it worth to do security? Would dogs (sheepdogs) suffice?

My security system is about $4k-5k. My reason for installing it is for peace of mind, especially in the night. To save cost, I did away with intercom cos our house is not big so can easily walk to main door, look and open gate if necessary.

What is the typical thickness of the glass used for these glass wall?

I think most people use glass of 2mm or 3mm thickness and some may use 4mm thick glass. I used 5mm thick glass because I wanted my glass sliding door to be really solid. Beside the thickness, the quality of the glass is also important in determining its strength. If you plan to use thicker glass, you will have to correspondingly improve on the thickness and quality of the aluminium casing, the quality of the screws/ riverts and the size & strength of the rollers below the windows/ sliding door casement should also be enhanced. This is to ensure that the whole window/ sliding door casement in terms of weight and load bearing is proportional.

You may want to consider double glazed glass to reduce heat and noise penetration, use tempered glass and to install a solar film to prevent the glass from being broken into small pieces after it has been smashed. Having said that, whatever is the thickness, 2mm or 5mm, none of them will be able to withstand the force of someone from using a big hammer to smash it up.

Cheers!

One of the places where I install my car window film, carries film that makes the glass bullet proof as well. If anyone needs it, PM me but don't ask me how much, I have no idea. LoL :good:

Which is cheaper, better and safer? Tampered glass or normal glass + heat rejection window film? Tampered glass is abt 2x the price of normal glass and 3x the strength but no heat rejection. Is it cheaper and equally safe with the 2nd combo?