Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stardust205

~ Home Of The Pisceans ~

ya.. there were too few 'ventilation holes' for the water to escape outwards..

And yes, the laminated flooring can be replaced.. but will be at the expense of many other good pranks and part of the skirting to be re-installed as well. :(

Hopefully the slight 'pop-up' condition won't get any worse.

Weather forecast says the whole wk will be raining! :wacko:

ya think the tracks also need some 'ventilation' for the water to leak out otherwise really will flood.

oh at least it's laminated flooring which can change the few pieces easily.

hope your problem will be resolved soon! these few days seems like will rain!

Edited by stardust205

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi whisper, thks for the advice.

I kinda understood what you mean. Think my outer most track is slightly shorter too, but still the water is not draining out well.

My guess is that the gradient of the tracks (inner one higher than outer one) is not there.. thus water don't flow out of the 2 small openings at both ends.

The outest track of my sliding window is not fully enclosed. It is 2~3cm shorter than the inner track so you can see an opening at the end. Sorry I don have time to take photo to show you since your contractor will be coming. Also couldn't find any picture online so hope you can understand what I mean.

I don't know whether the main purpose is to prevent water trap in the tracks but I find the opening useful when doing cleaning. It helps me easily pick up dust collected along the track by small broom or a piece of clothes. So I can clean the track very quickly without the need to pull out and put back vacuum cleaner. ;)

Scope of Renovation Work by Contractor

• Hack all existing built-in wardrobes, kitchen cabinet, partitions
  • Remove old laminated flooring.. and dismantle mirror at dining area
  • Overlay Laminated flooring (w/skirtings) for Living, Dining halls and all 3 rooms
  • Fabricate cement bases for fridge and washing machine
  • Tiling of Kitchen floor with homog. tiles
  • Carpentry - Kitchen cabinet 44 ft, w/ solid surface table-top
  • Run water pipes for kitchen sink and washing machine
  • Plaster whole house
  • Install plasterboards at (i) MBR wall and (ii) wall behind main door
  • Haulage, Chemical washing, Laying of waterproof membrane, etc.

DIY Renovation (spearheaded by my FIL)
  • Electrical - (i) relocate points, (ii) replace wire trunkings, switches, (iii) install lights
  • Painting of whole house, incl doors & door frames
  • Replace (i) the spoilt storage water heater with an instant water heater, (ii) towel-bars, toiletries shelves
  • Fabricate shelving for storeroom

We're basically not doing anything much to the 2 toilets.. as our flat is already announced for 'Polling for Main Upgrading Programme'. Hopefully it will go thru, then we could save some $! :good:

Love the scenic view from ur flat...excl.gif

Juz done wif my 1st appt & moving to Marsiling soon too...excl.gif

i definitely need to start getting quotes for the kitchen

Doubt i will be doing the toilet as well

Hoping the Upgrading programme will kick in soon.

Have spalling & water seepage issues in the MBR & Common toilet.. :curse:

can PM me ur contractor's number...?

10Q

Hey kryeo, congrats on acquiring ur keys soon!

So which blk in Marsiling you be moving to?

yea.. the scenic view was one of the main reasons that attracted us.. :)

Just 2 wks back, HDB and RC was collecting feedback on the MUP. I suppose the polling would be scheduled some time this yr (which means to say actual work likely to start by mid-next yr, assuming it goes thru)

Yup, we can save at least 4~5K if we let HDB do the toilets upgrading for us. ;)

Pray hard most ppl will vote 'Yes' for the MUP! :bow:

My unit had spalling & water seepage issue too.. We plastered the whole hse including ceiling.

Hopefully the issue is gone for good!

pm-ed ya.

Love the scenic view from ur flat...excl.gif

Juz done wif my 1st appt & moving to Marsiling soon too...excl.gif

i definitely need to start getting quotes for the kitchen

Doubt i will be doing the toilet as well

Hoping the Upgrading programme will kick in soon.

Have spalling & water seepage issues in the MBR & Common toilet.. :curse:

can PM me ur contractor's number...?

10Q

Edited by stardust205

Chandelier & Clock Up

Got x2 minor scares on the installation of the Chandelier.. but glad everything turned out fine in the end! :sport-smiley-004:

img0806n.jpg

img0279um.jpg

img0326dv.jpg

img0803zd.jpg

Nice clock and chandelier!

ya.. there were too few 'ventilation holes' for the water to escape outwards..

And yes, the laminated flooring can be replaced.. but will be at the expense of many other good pranks and part of the skirting to be re-installed as well. :(

Hopefully the slight 'pop-up' condition won't get any worse.

Weather forecast says the whole wk will be raining! :wacko:

With regards to laminated flooring, I had this problem before too--we forgot to close the windows and we didn't go over for about 2 days, so the rain water soaked into the laminate and made the edges pop up as well. What we did was to put tissues along the affected joints and draw the water out using capillary action, to get the worst of the damage out. My contractor also gave us an interesting piece of advice, which was to let the laminate dry out first--over 1 month it would mostly sink back down and it would not be all that obvious. We did that and in the end, it wasn't all that bad, so you may want to give it a try.

Heya, thks for ur advice! we'll try out the capillary approach. For our case, the pop-up wasn't so obvious to the eyes but one can feel the bumps if you step over the affected planks. I guess your damage then was worse than ours..

But how do u let the laminate dry out? we can DIY ply open the planks?

With regards to laminated flooring, I had this problem before too--we forgot to close the windows and we didn't go over for about 2 days, so the rain water soaked into the laminate and made the edges pop up as well. What we did was to put tissues along the affected joints and draw the water out using capillary action, to get the worst of the damage out. My contractor also gave us an interesting piece of advice, which was to let the laminate dry out first--over 1 month it would mostly sink back down and it would not be all that obvious. We did that and in the end, it wasn't all that bad, so you may want to give it a try.

Update.. Windows Flooding problem

The window contractor brought a very large pincer (length of a forearm) to punch numerous holes at the window tracks, to facilitate water-drainage. However, halfway thru his work.. I discovered the main culprit was actually 2 small holes at the windows tracks that caused water leakage to my floor. We then used plaster to seal-up the 2 holes.

img0834dm.jpg

Ran water test by pouring many glasses of water onto it, and it survived a couple of stormy days since then too >> Problem resolved.

Damage done to my laminated flooring is irreversible though.. :(

Can feel large bumps on certain pranks.. but at least, the edges of the planks did not pop up.

Edited by stardust205

Hope u got the windows problems solved ASAP! We gave up on laminate flooring as my chihuahua will mark anywhere if he decides to spite us! Most importantly, the colour n the quality we choose for the planks cost more than tiles.

Now I got my wallpaper to worry about...Sigh...my precious Bb can b naughty at times. I tot of wrapping clear plastic below the Walls where he can pee...

We hv similar headboard! Ha! But ours will b black with bling bling crystals...

Edited by angelbutterfly

DIY - Wall Decal at Foyer

My initial idea was to DIY a welcome sign using wooden material available at ArtFriend.

But we never get started on it, and one fine day we came across this adorable wall decal while shopping in JB :yeah:

img0825h.jpgOur first try at DIY wall-decal

img0826ob.jpgPositioning the pieces using masking tapes

img0829wd.jpgFinally completed after more than an hr of work! :dancingqueen:

More tedious than we expected but it was fun :thumbs up:

Hi angelbutterfly,

Thks. We managed to resolve the windows problem.

Yea.. If we have pets, we won't opt for laminated flooring too :lol:

Black headboard with bling bling? Wow.. sounds very pretty to me :wub:

we initially wanted 'bling bling' too but the range of available headboards that comes with our storage-bed set, do not have it.

Hope u got the windows problems solved ASAP! We gave up on laminate flooring as my chihuahua will mark anywhere if he decides to spite us! Most importantly, the colour n the quality we choose for the planks cost more than tiles.

Now I got my wallpaper to worry about...Sigh...my precious Bb can b naughty at times. I tot of wrapping clear plastic below the Walls where he can pee...

We hv similar headboard! Ha! But ours will b black with bling bling crystals...

Edited by stardust205

New Computer!

I know laptops and tablets are in the RAGE now, but we still prefer to get a desktop. :P

WTB feels it's more comfortable using a PC, while we both like the screen to be bigger.

I don't think I'll be bringing a laptop out of the hse anyway, if I do have one.. Kinda bulky & heavy.

img0835ch.jpgGot it at Comex 2011. Super crowded and had a hard time transporting the bulky computer set back to my hse.

I later discovered the same model is actually available at Dell website for the same price! :bangwall:

wasted my $20+ cab fare.. :~

dell01.jpg

DELL XPS 8300

I like the black-white CPU design :wub:

dell02.jpg

Honestly, the 24" screen is abit too big for us.. I don't mind they give me a 20" monitor but promoter says everything is sold as a set.

dell03.jpg

dell04.jpg

Specs of XPS 8300

2nd Generation Intel® Core i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit (English)

DELL ST2420L 24"W HD Monitor with WLED

8GB (4X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory

1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

1GB AMD Radeon™ HD 6670

DELL 2.1 Multimedia Sound System

DELL Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Edited by stardust205

How much u bought for the wall decals? I thought of it b4 but might go for clock instead. My home cannot b too sweet since it's gonna b cool cold grey, black n White...

I am not too gd at DIY leh..I already spent lots of time on selecting decals n wallpapers...Reno really headache Lor.,.

We bought it for RM 40.

Yep, the wall decal has to go with the feel of the house..

We are still scouting for a suitable wall decal for the dining area - might go for a black color lamp post.

Actually we did made a mistake with one of the doggy's legs if you compared it with the original :P

The more perfectionist one is, the more efforts spent! But again, it comes with a greater sense of accomplishment :good:

How much u bought for the wall decals? I thought of it b4 but might go for clock instead. My home cannot b too sweet since it's gonna b cool cold grey, black n White...

I am not too gd at DIY leh..I already spent lots of time on selecting decals n wallpapers...Reno really headache Lor.,.

Edited by stardust205

The movers will be transporting (i) a wardrobe, (ii) a glass cabinet, (iii) upright piano.. from my parents' house tmr afternoon! :D

Has engaged the services of Helping Hands, as I read quite a few positive reviews in the forum. Their quotation is also lower than the 3 other companies I have enquired.

Hopefully all goes well tmr, esp for my piano!! :bow:

Edited by stardust205

Shifted in Piano, Wardrobe & Glass Cabinet

I've engaged movers to transport x3 items from my parents place, which is just 5 min away by walking! :D

No choice.. as transporting these items by myself is really beyond me.

img0836u.jpgOverall quite satisfied with the services of "Helping Hands", though they came 1.5hr after the appointed time.

They are not really considered the 'super-pro' type of movers.. But that's good enough for me considering the relatively low price quoted. :thumbs up:

img0847e.jpgMy trusty companion for nearly 20yrs! :sport-smiley-018:

img0839oq.jpg

My parents said we can have this --> saved some $ from our pocket

We would need this extra cupboard, as the new one in MBR is not big enough for us :lol:

img0845ev.jpg

For the display of my collection of model cars & anime figurines.

Edited by stardust205