Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jasonchua1982

Advice On How To Remove Black Line Between Laminate

Dear All,

Our carpenter just did up our TV feature wall with a ledge and he pasted the laminate design we wanted on the protruding ledge.

However, we realise that between the laminates at a 90 degree angle, there is a ugly black line....our carpenter told us its normal and nothing can be done to cover this line.....

5915352211_72eeee3e1e_b.jpg

5915886172_455e6661fe_b.jpg

Wonder if there is any other ways to conceal this line, else its quite obvious especially its at eye level.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks and have a good weekend ahead !

Edited by jasonchua1982

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Good day jasonchua1982,

There is only one way left to remove to black line,

and it is by requesting your carpenter to paint a matching colour over it. It's call "dian qi".

It should look almost the same if the job is done properly.

The negative part is that if there's alot of activities around it, the paint will peel off overtime due to exccessive rubbing or scratching.

That will result into uneven patches of paint over the black strip.

It is not advisable to paint the edges of carpentry work with high activities like study table or worktop when your fore-arm rest and rub against the edge of the carpentry.

For those who had not started on their carpentry work, you can opt for solid-core laminates or veneer finishing to avoid this problem, these option come at a higher price.

Do note that most laminate comes in 8ftx4ft sizing, and ugly joing will appears if the carpentry is bigger than that.

You can opt for stainless steel trimming or u-groove to add visual design to conceal the join line.

The line will be even more visible if you have choosen glossy surface laminate.

- Martin

Thanks Martin for the good advice !

Nimm12, I told my contractor that this black line gives a bad impression of poor worksmanship then he told me that if poor worksmanship, just have to slide ur finger/ palm along the edges and if you are cut....then its poor worksmanship....dunno how true is that :)

Thanks Martin for the good advice !

Nimm12, I told my contractor that this black line gives a bad impression of poor worksmanship then he told me that if poor worksmanship, just have to slide ur finger/ palm along the edges and if you are cut....then its poor worksmanship....dunno how true is that :)

sure will not cut your hand when u slide, cause they will file the edge when they apply the laminate. Its the consistency of the line's thickness that matters.

From my experience for poor carpentry workmanship:

cut line not straight resulting "fat,thin,fat,thin black lines" or "fat to thin black line, which we called rat's tail".

Multiple laminate ona single surface, carpenter lazy to plan, or trying to make things easier as no need to cut odd shapes.

laminate joining line at edge are too thick, should look for 0.8mm to 1.2mm at most, anything smaller is very very difficult.

Door alignments, makes or break the whole carpentry

abs trimming is join cleanly and with good alightment, poor joing and alighment = it will peel easily

solid ply wood is used instead of "mu xin ban" or woodcore which are soft, cheap, extremely light and brittle. These are way of carpenter undercutting consumers.

internal pvc are in good conditions.

the rest are harder to observe just by looking, takes time to tell.

- Martin

Edited by uGlyMartin

Hi Jason!

Hope this prob has been cleared! If not, my humble suggestion would be to put up some nice or brightly-coloured decor to divert the attention away fm the line.

Jus my 2 cents' :)