Splitting Of Entire Reno Project Into Different Phases/Sub-Contractors

I think I will b going through this route -

Carpentry

Direct from factory

Hacking/Tiling/plumbing/celing/painting/electrical

1 main contractor

Doors/windows/glass

1 direct sub con

Dunno if gg to b headache but main contractor will b handling bigger responsibilities so should b fine? So far only 2 contractors willing to take up this offer...Wish me luck!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

yeah that's fine. But just note that you need to be around when they are doing the works so that you can check on them from time to time and make sure no damage to your other property...

Very interesting topic. Im having a dilemma myself..

Shortlisted 2 IDs... the 1st one is cheaper in carpentry and glass works while the 2nd one is cheaper in hacking, painting, ceilling and electrical works. Individually they cost the same overall.. If I combine them on their cheaper stuffs, I can save around 3 to 4k. Do you think its a significant savings for the effort of my coordination between the 2 IDs?

ahem... let me count how may sub-cons i have...

1) electrician

2) aircon

3) false ceiling

4) glass works

5) sanitary installer

6) carpenter

7) window maker

8) iron monger

9) aluminum works

10) door guy

11) and the main-con for hacking, tiling, plumbing and painting.

Did i enjoy it? **** yeah.. i learned tons enough to be a main-con should i need a job. Was it time consuming? ohh yes, but it was the last quarter of the year and i had to clear leave anyways... Did it save me loads of money? I don't think so, but what i paid for, i made sure it was the quality and standard that i wanted.

And the whole journey started.... because i was adamant to use a kitchen cabinet maker not under any main-con. :dancingqueen:

rickoveron, that's cool man.. But i guess the challenge is in finding contacts for all those good direc sub-contractors. You definitely should have saved as you are now the main con yourself and yes, you definitely learn alot urself! :)

Sorry what's Iron monger?

How did you handle the electrician and false ceiling sub-contractors as 2 different parties? Some of these works can be handled individually but some works seem to be needed to be done together. Like the electrician and the false ceiling contractor who have to coordinate the installation of lighting points together. Tough man.. but i'm sure a great learning experience.

Pls share more if possible! :)

the electrician was the first to come in after the hacking was done. wires and trunking laid according to floorplan, then the false ceiling guy come in to seal it all up. after it's done the electrician will make another trip to cut holes and install the lights/sockets etc. So it's not a big hassle between these two jobs.