Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Renmapiao

The Story Of A Home - Our Em @ Woodlands

It's a week away to our scheduled moving out from the old house and there seems many things still not done or hanging here and there. Doing renovation is all about timing and coordination. The downlights can't be fixed yet because the false ceiling is not up yet. In the meantime, the painters are painting sealant to the whole house. The kitchen cabinet and wardrobe are far from ready. I've got a feeling these will still not be ready by the time we move in. For all the bathrooms, only the mixer had been fixed. My contractor told me won't be wise to fix the rest of the fixtures as they will get dirty especially the sinks and bowls.

2011-10-151.jpg

2011-10-15.jpg

2011-10-152.jpg

wow...just a week to moving into the new place!! Challenging man. Make sure that the downlights are properly and rightfully installed. U don't want your false ceiling guy to come back to patch up the holes again. Also, u will still need time to paint the house. All the best my friend :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It's a week away to our scheduled moving out from the old house and there seems many things still not done or hanging here and there. Doing renovation is all about timing and coordination. The downlights can't be fixed yet because the false ceiling is not up yet. In the meantime, the painters are painting sealant to the whole house. The kitchen cabinet and wardrobe are far from ready. I've got a feeling these will still not be ready by the time we move in. For all the bathrooms, only the mixer had been fixed. My contractor told me won't be wise to fix the rest of the fixtures as they will get dirty especially the sinks and bowls.

2011-10-151.jpg

2011-10-15.jpg

2011-10-152.jpg

Wow.... So fast moving in soon! Hope ur contractor can meet your deadline! :)

Thanks Centrino2 for the words of advise. I will remind the electricians about the downlights. Hopefully they are skilled enough.

wow...just a week to moving into the new place!! Challenging man. Make sure that the downlights are properly and rightfully installed. U don't want your false ceiling guy to come back to patch up the holes again. Also, u will still need time to paint the house. All the best my friend :yamseng:

Keeping my fingers crossed Potatoes

Wow.... So fast moving in soon! Hope ur contractor can meet your deadline! :)

The last six days till another chapter unfolds. Monday onwards most works will concentrate on painting, installation and touch-ups (false ceiling, aircon, wardrobe, kitchen cabinet, bathroom and light fixtures …).

IMG_2472.jpg

An Expensive Lesson Learnt to Tell

If you are really not sure what type of toilet bowl to buy - don't be "Kay Kiang" and order yourself. Let the contractor order for you. The story goes like this ...

My contractor told me roughly the size to look out for. Me and my wife went to Jalan Besar because that's the place where my contractor recommended. At this particular shop - we bought three toilet bowls - all three different brands. We were very happy with our purchases until ...

On the day my contractor wanted to order and arrange delivery, he had an argument with the toilet bowl shop owner. My contractor told him the bowls can't fit but the owner insisted at least one of them can - based on the distance of the hole (where the toilet bowl will be placed over). So out of three bowls only one can fit while for the other two I had to come down again to re-choose. In the end we decided to choose the same brand and type for all the toilets. And we thought the problem was solved but ...

2011-10-203.jpg

The toilet bowls were then sent to our new house and that's where the problem started. My contractor called me saying the toilet bowls can't fit because the size for all three is 5.5 inches instead of 4 inches. WTF I said to myself - because the day I went to re-choose, it was already confirmed by the shop - it will fit. So I called up the shop owner who insisted they can fit, perfectly. He then suggested his contact to do the installation - but will be charged at $95 per toilet. So the situation is, one the one hand my contractor said can't be installed (because size too big) and on the other the supplier said it can be done. My contractor then said - of course it can be done if they sort of "cut corners". He explained sometimes the toilet bowl can be "forced-fit" and even he can do that but there's the risk of it being choked over time. The person engaged by the toilet bowl shop owner confidently explained otherwise. He said has been in this line - plumbing - for over 40 years and gave me 100% assurance it won't choke. So who do you choose (to believe)?

In the end we opted for Mr Plumber. His men came - late - but got the job done in less than 2 hours. We had to pay them $285 out of our own money. I am pretty sure my contractor won't be paying for this. If the toilet bowls had been brought by him, they would have been installed for free (as the charges would already have been included in the whole package).

2011-10-205.jpg

To end the story, we were still not convinced who's right and who's wrong dunno.gif but one thing for sure, we were definitely $285 poorer furious.gif

Renmapiao, Congrats on the completion your reno. Great to know that you have also moved over the weekend. Enjoy your new home :)

At this point I am still unpacking. Perhaps this arduous task will be completed by end of November. In the meantime, here's the breakdown spent on the house:

Renovation: $38,495 (most major works like re-tiling for the whole house (except for the bedrooms), toilets, carpentry and painting)

Aircon: $3087 (Mitsubishi StarMex)

Bathroom and kitchen essentials: $3390

Electrical: $3005

Fans and lighting: $2521

Furnishings: $4600 (two wardrobes, dining table, six dining chairs, cabinet)

Mover: $545

Others: $500

Grand total: $56,143

I am ending updating this blog. Thank you everyone - those who had given advise and comments and even those who dropped by.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

For a full transformation pictures, you may click on the quote below.

A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built withlove and dreams.

1 mth to unpack is quite normal. Happy unpacking :)

$56k to renovate your EM .....it's considered high for me. That was what my ID quoted me initially..... Manage to narrow to 45k...

Hi Potatoes - 56K - is inclusive of aircon, electrical and some furnishings and bathroom and kitchen essentials. Renovation per se is just 38.5K - inclusive of painting. Is that a lot you think?

1 mth to unpack is quite normal. Happy unpacking :)

$56k to renovate your EM .....it's considered high for me. That was what my ID quoted me initially..... Manage to narrow to 45k...