Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Newbee

Parquet For Living Room?

Hi guys

Anyone here have done parquet for living room recently? i'm trying to choose between those wood strip parquet OR laminated floor.

after seeing both, i still feel that no matter what, laminated floor cannot give the "solid wood" feeling. And the patterns will repeat after a while. However, they have a lot of colors of "wood" to choose from e.g. maple, oak, beech, etc

as for parquet, it is very SOLID feel. but only comes in one color (unless u wanna pay more for darker stained varnish of course). so it is kind of boring?

anyone who has photos of their parquet living room, please share with me here... thanks!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi guys

Anyone here have done parquet for living room recently? i'm trying to choose between those wood strip parquet OR laminated floor.

after seeing both, i still feel that no matter what, laminated floor cannot give the "solid wood" feeling. And the patterns will repeat after a while. However, they have a lot of colors of "wood" to choose from e.g. maple, oak, beech, etc

as for parquet, it is very SOLID feel. but only comes in one color (unless u wanna pay more for darker stained varnish of course). so it is kind of boring?

anyone who has photos of their parquet living room, please share with me here... thanks!!

Parquet doesn't only come in one color. You can use different types of wood for parquet flooring. You can check out Jason's Parquet showroom, they have various types of parquet flooring and colors there.

Jason's Parquet

I've got parquet in my living room. High gloss parquet. There are some scratches, but that's part and parcel of the parquet thing. I use the floor guardians, a blue coloured ptfe strip, to protect the floor from the furniture. Some of it is rather expensive, like 4 large round ones cost 14 dollars, so i mix with the more cheaper brand. You can push the furniture around and it's guaranteed no scratching. So far it works.

How to know that the contractor had varnished parquet?

My contractor had told me he had done it, but to me, it seems like it has not been done.

How to know that the contractor had varnished parquet?

My contractor had told me he had done it, but to me, it seems like it has not been done.

Err... the floor feels smoother (compared to when the fine grinding is done), and the color is slightly darker than the original wood colour (you can take a piece of spare parquet and dip it briefly in water, the clear varnished color will be able that wet parquet color). Sometimes you can see the varnish at hard to paint corners, like at the skirting edges. You see some varnished uneven tones. Don't know if that helps.

hi threecharacters

thanks for the link. i will go and check them out.

however, i can see that for solid wood, the difference in color is due to the different type of wood right? (not like laminate where basically the material is the same but just print a different color.)

so i think what happened is that i saw only the teak flooring. was explained by the salesperson that other types of flooring such as maple, oak, etc is rather unsuitable for our climate. So it's harder to maintain. And also need to have some kind of sub floor, etc.

Anyone here have installed wood floor other than teak? Is there other types of wood floor besides teak that is suitable for Asian climate? Care to share your experience? thanks.

Me and hubby decided to have parquet flooring for living room, and bedrooms. Love the cozy ambience wood flooring creates.

Maintenance wise - Anti-abrasion felt paddings for furnitures should do the trick.

Anyway, we are expecting very little activities in the living area. (We usually hide in our room) I predict that the area most prone to scratches would be the study room / dining room, due to the pulling and pushing of chairs. We have to be extra careful when choosing furnishings for these areas.

hi threecharacters

thanks for the link. i will go and check them out.

however, i can see that for solid wood, the difference in color is due to the different type of wood right? (not like laminate where basically the material is the same but just print a different color.)

so i think what happened is that i saw only the teak flooring. was explained by the salesperson that other types of flooring such as maple, oak, etc is rather unsuitable for our climate. So it's harder to maintain. And also need to have some kind of sub floor, etc.

Anyone here have installed wood floor other than teak? Is there other types of wood floor besides teak that is suitable for Asian climate? Care to share your experience? thanks.

dear gothique,

if you are interested to use other species, try merbau (red species) or american white oak.

they are quite durable and good to use.

there are many other species like maple or ash or indian rosewood.

but please remember to use PU GLUE, that is non-waterbased glue for your wood.

then you have less problem.

teak is usually chosen becuase it can be used with normal glue (non-expensive) and easy to maintain.

of course, because teak is so widely used and commonly known as the best wood in the world.

the species i mentioned above are ok and they are used in some houses i know.

merbau is widely used in malaysia.

Hi Forum

Is parquet flooring a practical choice for living room flooring?

What are potential problem? Is it difficult to maintain given the higher traffic for living room?

Pls contribute. Thanks! ;)

Wood flooring in living room will give your living room a very resort feel.

If that is what you want .. of course you can use it.

after installation, you can even lie down on the warm wood floor watching tv in living room.

when your aircon is on, your feet is still warm with wood flooring.

potential problem.

if you are afraid of high traffic, then you must apply the right kind of varnish.

in the market, there are many brands of water-based coating.

For your living room, i recommend high-traffic water based coating.

it is more expensive than normal coating. but if you insist on wood floor, why not insist on good high traffic coating. there are many brands out there .... the brand i recommend is BONA or LOBA.

go ahead and try the websites like www.bona.com or www.loba.com.de.

they are good water-based coating for your precious solid wood.

However, due to the nature of wood, if it is wood, then confirm there is a possiblitiy of scratch if the scratch is a hard scratch.

naturally, the wood will expand and contract ... and there may be some gaps.

so, if you love solid wood, you must know that this is part of the character of wood floor.

else, like what the laminates people say .... use laminate.

i use to tell pple, if you floor scratches .... that means you are using SOLID WOOD.

if you floor does not scratch or have no gaps .... then chances it is a plastic floor.

You can check out my link below for photos of my parquet flooring. It was only just installed so it hasn't been sanded or varnished yet.

Hi

Been to witergal's Home photo, Wow I can only say your money is well spend. It give me the warm and cozy feel of a Batam resort and this is what Teak flooring is capable of. Well my Teak flooring was installed in my three bedroom also done by hauhauparquet and more toward Zen style. :P

Too bad I choose homo tiles in my living room flooring for my house in Sengkang, thought of using Teak but afraid of too much human traffic. Got almost the same floor plan and same bathroom tiles as yours, how much do you spend on you bathtub wanted to install one in the master's bathroom for a long time? :bath:

QUOTE (Newbee @ Jan 20 2005, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Forum

Is parquet flooring a practical choice for living room flooring?

What are potential problem? Is it difficult to maintain given the higher traffic for living room?

Pls contribute. Thanks! wink.gif

Wood flooring in living room will give your living room a very resort feel.

If that is what you want .. of course you can use it.

after installation, you can even lie down on the warm wood floor watching tv in living room.

when your aircon is on, your feet is still warm with wood flooring.

potential problem.

if you are afraid of high traffic, then you must apply the right kind of varnish.

in the market, there are many brands of water-based coating.

For your living room, i recommend high-traffic water based coating.

it is more expensive than normal coating. but if you insist on wood floor, why not insist on good high traffic coating. there are many brands out there .... the brand i recommend is BONA or LOBA.

go ahead and try the websites like www.bona.com or www.loba.com.de.

they are good water-based coating for your precious solid wood.

However, due to the nature of wood, if it is wood, then confirm there is a possiblitiy of scratch if the scratch is a hard scratch.

naturally, the wood will expand and contract ... and there may be some gaps.

so, if you love solid wood, you must know that this is part of the character of wood floor.

else, like what the laminates people say .... use laminate.

i use to tell pple, if you floor scratches .... that means you are using SOLID WOOD.

if you floor does not scratch or have no gaps .... then chances it is a plastic floor.

Thank you Sir