Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GrandReno

Sofa - Leather Or Fabric To Get?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question has been directly asked here b4.

Have been reading up a bit on leather and fabric sofas but can't quite decide yet! Most of those I read are overseas postings. Not sure if it's relevant to singapore's context. So I appreciate any real life experience and opinions. Thank u!

My concerns are:

Leather:

- Easy to get mould after a while due to our humid weather here. I've seen my friend's sofa have a bit of white spots here and there.

- Limited choice of colours compared to fabric.

- May be warm and sweaty if the weather is hot.

Fabric:

- More maintenance. Need time to remove and put back on fabric for washing. And washing such huge fabric is a hassle too.

- If there is food/drink stain from spills, may be a problem.

Please advise if you agree or disagree with the above. Or please add on. Thank you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi 5Cs

The texture of nubucks is similar to suede, however its much more expensive than suede. As compared to aniline, its scratches more easily, therefore maintainence wise, its better to go for aniline. Both are soft to touch and aniline is much more easier to maintain. I hope that clears your doubts.

Hmm..., I don't this answer is accurate.

Basically, Aniline leather is leather that is very lightly treated, the hide is cured to prevent decomposition and then dyed to a specific colour using an Aniline dye, therefore it is call Aniline leather. Aniline leather is very hard to maintain because the surface is not protected with any pigment and therefore scratches very easily.

Nubuck leather is Aniline leather but the surface has been buffed off to make it feel even softer.

Hmm.. I just wonder... Do the shop people explain so much, like the different types of leather, which is better, etc.

All I know is, every leather sofa shop I go to, they say their is genuine leather. Always seems better than other shops.

The only terms they give is either "Full leather" or "Half leather".

And contrary to what I read in some old posts here, it is not true that leather sofa costing $2-3k are actually PVC or PU. I was told it is Italian genuine leather but installed in a nearby country. Unless they are lying?

By the way... are Navinzi and Furniture Club good places to shop for leather sofa?

just my 2 cents, i will never go for leather furniture anymore - my leather sofa and bed all turned mouldy within months, despite using mould remover and leather protection cream. the mould kept spreading to a larger and larger area each time. headache ah!

Hey honeygal,MJQueen n rickoveron, thanks for the reply....

Honeygal: Is there good ventilation in your room? I'm sorry to hear of the mould. That's what I am afraid and don't like too. I think if you can, try to have more fresh air into the room. It does help.

Hmmm... it always looks and feels so nice in the leather sofa showroom cos it's air con....

But for those who bought leather sofa, how do they maintain it? Sure will have problems at one point or another?

Hey honeygal,MJQueen n rickoveron, thanks for the reply....

Honeygal: Is there good ventilation in your room? I'm sorry to hear of the mould. That's what I am afraid and don't like too. I think if you can, try to have more fresh air into the room. It does help.

Hmmm... it always looks and feels so nice in the leather sofa showroom cos it's air con....

But for those who bought leather sofa, how do they maintain it? Sure will have problems at one point or another?

THanks for the tip! i was suspecting it's the poor ventilation at my place that is causing the mould.

Yeah,me choose fabric as well.Can take out & wash + if wanna change colour,just get a new set.

Leather sofa dont seem to last(for me).

I just remembered I forgot to ask...

For those of you who don't favour leather, did you buy genuine leather sofa? I understand a handful go for the $1000-2000 kind of leather sofa. Those are likely not genuine leather so may have problems in future.

For fabric, how often does one need to wash? And is it recommended to dry-clean? If so, seems like a hassle to me...

sorry to hijack the thread, but wondering what is the material called for those sofa material that looks like PVC? ther is some texture to it, its rather smooth surface, and its of similar surface to: those mordern mahjong or poker table top, or certain notice board, or, in fact there are being used at SMRT newest bus.

sorry to hijack the thread, but wondering what is the material called for those sofa material that looks like PVC? ther is some texture to it, its rather smooth surface, and its of similar surface to: those mordern mahjong or poker table top, or certain notice board, or, in fact there are being used at SMRT newest bus.

suede ?