Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackio1917

Hdb Resale Flat - Advise Need Urgently (To Proceed Or Not)

Hi ,

This is the first time i am buying a resale HDB and i am doing it DIY, need some advise on a unit i am keen in. (I bought direct from HDB and developer before though which really is a lot more straight forward).

I have seen a resale HDB flat recently which meets my requirement and price seems reasonable. However, i have some concern and although i have already made a offer for the unit( no deposit paid yet), i am wondering if i should proceed with it.

Summary of what have happened so far:

1) On the day of the first view of the flat, the seller agent told us that the seller wanted to do cashdown ( i.e under declare COV and for me to pay them the COV seperately). Agent claim that buyer have used a lot of CPF and the COV will go back to CPF without the arrangement. Seller wants to upgrade to private property and needed the cash for the down payment.

2) We rejected the request but made a offer to buy the unit nonetheless via the official method with COV fully declared. Agent say will discuss with seller.

3) Agent call us the next day to ask to meet the seller to discuss. We replied if discussed on cashdown, not interested. Only willing to discuss on price if official way. Agent say will talk to owner again.

4) 2 days later, seller agent called again to say ok to official declare full COV but seller want extension of stay for 1 month after completion date cos seller need to complete the HDB resale first then can have the money to buy the private property and need a place to stay in the mean time. Again, we rejected as we are currently renting and lease expiring soon. The seller agent ok ok understand then say but seller have not agree to the price we offer yet. Still need to negotiate on price. Again ask us to meet and discuss.

5) Therefore have arrange to see them this weekend to discuss. Is such things situaition common in resale transaction?

Hubby now getting worried cos

A) It seems seller finance is quite tight and not sure if agent is selling the true. We start to worry if they may be in debts or own ah long money etc.

B) This unit is in the market place for almost 1 month already (considering most unit we view in this area are gone in a few weeks), it is also making us wonder why.

Apologies for the long winded post but i am really struggling if i should proceed with the discussion with the seller or move on to search for another unit.

Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I had a number of similar situations when I was house hunting. A few points to note. Sometimes, the owner themselves might not be pushing for the under-declared sale as much as their agent. If the agent sees that the family is poor and needs to sell the house, but might not have enough to pay them, they would push to allow such a sale so that they can take their commission from the COV. Not all sellers' agents are such but there are some.

Following that, you have all the concerns you mentioned. I would suggest reconsidering the purchase unless you really love the house and don't think anything else will do.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Since young, we have been told : No fire without smoke.

In reality, not easy to detect "smoke", old birds can sometime be conned too.

For good units, sellers always call the shots. Buyers listen & follow.

Now seller is eagerly need cash. Seller now "listens" to buyers' requests and buyer's scared, for just Ah long issue????

Believed the location/floor level/sun/environment/neigbour issues deter buyers, not ah long.

You should check around with the neighbours and look for 'signs' of loan shark presence e.g. like freshly painted spots on the walls and please do walk up and down a few levels to check it out. When I was house hunting a while back, I went to this unit and noticed something odd. The unit seem quite bare, even the bedrooms only have mattresses. Only the man of the house was around. The agent revealed that it was a divorce case, hence the unit is put on the market. I was looking up and down and then I noticed a CCTV at the main entrance. It's not those fake ones, the cctv has wires connected into the house. My own agent didn't even realised that.

I asked my agent to go ask the seller's agent. Still got cheek to say the ex wife was a security guard, so they had previously bought it to 'test'.

Acting on a hunch, we pretended to check out the surroundings and knocked on one of the neighbours on the far side. The uncle was very nice, without a word, he put up his hand and waved it sideways and shook his head as well and quietly mouthed the word 'AH LONG'. We met this uncle later at the void deck as we were discussing this unit, and he came up to me and told me this unit was plagued by loan sharks for some time already, so better don't buy it. Wahhh, heng ah..... can you imagine having a newly renovated home and being visited by ah longs regularly? I bet they would give lots of presents like black/red paint, graffitis etc..

I think if you are kind hearted, you can consider allowing them to stay 1 more mth. However, to make things 'proper', you can always reject such request but at the risk of losing this unit la...

When I finally sold my unit, I requested the buyer to allow me to stay there with me paying rent because at that time, my next unit is not yet available to hand over keys. She refused and I took it in my stride. It's my own problem that I got no where to stay after the unit was sold to her, so I should be the one solving the problem. But at least I tried asking.

Since young, we have been told : No fire without smoke.

In reality, not easy to detect "smoke", old birds can sometime be conned too.

For good units, sellers always call the shots. Buyers listen & follow.

Now seller is eagerly need cash. Seller now "listens" to buyers' requests and buyer's scared, for just Ah long issue????

Believed the location/floor level/sun/environment/neigbour issues deter buyers, not ah long.

Ah Longs scary also mah..! Imagine coming home every day and your place is plastered in paint....! Yes, can call the police.. But do you want that.. Gotta weigh the location/floor level/sun/environment/neighbour issues against the hassle of being plagued by unwanted troubles like this too, or so it is for ppl like me...

1st. under declare. NO NO. Illegal. Matta caught. will get charge.

2nd, give a date line to the agent. deal or no deal. If not just move on

3rd, don't stop viewing other unit unless you really really fall in love in this unit. Don't need to tell the agent abt this

You should check around with the neighbours and look for 'signs' of loan shark presence e.g. like freshly painted spots on the walls and please do walk up and down a few levels to check it out. When I was house hunting a while back, I went to this unit and noticed something odd. The unit seem quite bare, even the bedrooms only have mattresses. Only the man of the house was around. The agent revealed that it was a divorce case, hence the unit is put on the market. I was looking up and down and then I noticed a CCTV at the main entrance. It's not those fake ones, the cctv has wires connected into the house. My own agent didn't even realised that.

I asked my agent to go ask the seller's agent. Still got cheek to say the ex wife was a security guard, so they had previously bought it to 'test'.

Acting on a hunch, we pretended to check out the surroundings and knocked on one of the neighbours on the far side. The uncle was very nice, without a word, he put up his hand and waved it sideways and shook his head as well and quietly mouthed the word 'AH LONG'. We met this uncle later at the void deck as we were discussing this unit, and he came up to me and told me this unit was plagued by loan sharks for some time already, so better don't buy it. Wahhh, heng ah..... can you imagine having a newly renovated home and being visited by ah longs regularly? I bet they would give lots of presents like black/red paint, graffitis etc..

I think if you are kind hearted, you can consider allowing them to stay 1 more mth. However, to make things 'proper', you can always reject such request but at the risk of losing this unit la...

When I finally sold my unit, I requested the buyer to allow me to stay there with me paying rent because at that time, my next unit is not yet available to hand over keys. She refused and I took it in my stride. It's my own problem that I got no where to stay after the unit was sold to her, so I should be the one solving the problem. But at least I tried asking.

Resale flats bound to have such problems.

Worst part is, the runners will splash on the debtors neighbours instead. If the debtor stay at corner unit, the runner won't be that stupid to go right in and decorate his unit, instead he will throw paint at units nearby the lift, for easy escape route, and will write the debtor unit and Hp on the wall for you to curse, swear and humiliate the debtor. The runners/loansharks make the innocent units do the dirty work. :furious:

My unit and another top of me kana last year. Debtor's unit is right at the corner along my floor. I kana blue paint on my windows, while the unit above me kana red but worst than mine. :sport-smiley-004: Town council is just simply interested in restoring the conditions of their lifts. We have to remove the paints on the affected area ourselves. SPF juz simply wayang handling my report. After 2 letters from them, they conclude can't find and case close.

Resale flats bound to have such problems.

Worst part is, the runners will splash on the debtors neighbours instead. If the debtor stay at corner unit, the runner won't be that stupid to go right in and decorate his unit, instead he will throw paint at units nearby the lift, for easy escape route, and will write the debtor unit and Hp on the wall for you to curse, swear and humiliate the debtor. The runners/loansharks make the innocent units do the dirty work. :furious:

My unit and another top of me kana last year. Debtor's unit is right at the corner along my floor. I kana blue paint on my windows, while the unit above me kana red but worst than mine. :sport-smiley-004: Town council is just simply interested in restoring the conditions of their lifts. We have to remove the paints on the affected area ourselves. SPF juz simply wayang handling my report. After 2 letters from them, they conclude can't find and case close.

Like that also can.. stomp them... lian he wan bao them.. xin ming wan bao them... pffffttt pple are so irresponsible these days...

Thank you so much for the reply. Frankly we do like the unit, if not no need to so headache

Pros:

high floor windy, unblock (school running track/field in front of block)

North south facing so no afternoon sun

only 3 unit per level (Neighbours not sure but according to agent both orginal owners who stay there for 20 yr already.)

location good, walking distance to my son school

Recently renovated(so in better condition that most other units we seen for e 20 year old estate)

Cons:

Concern as listed in my earlier post.

Have been reading Renotalk for tips since day 1 of my house hunting so try to look out for signs mentioned by Bluesummerayz during the viewing. Didnt see any so far. In fact, unit was well equiped w appliance like TV,c omputers etc. Waredrobe and kitchen looks new (agent say renovation done 2 yrs ago). Owner couple was at home when we view the place.

For now we are trying to keep our options open hear what they have to say/counter offer, at the same time continue to look out for other units. Just cant stop myself from thinking about it.

Moving is such a headache, lease expiring in 2months and we most likely going to shift twice( since even now buy also cannot complete in time before lease expire). Beside buying a hdb, still need to look for another place to shift. Aiyoh.

Thank you so much for the reply. Frankly we do like the unit, if not no need to so headache

Pros:

high floor windy, unblock (school running track/field in front of block)

North south facing so no afternoon sun

only 3 unit per level (Neighbours not sure but according to agent both orginal owners who stay there for 20 yr already.)

location good, walking distance to my son school

Recently renovated(so in better condition that most other units we seen for e 20 year old estate)

Cons:

Concern as listed in my earlier post.

Have been reading Renotalk for tips since day 1 of my house hunting so try to look out for signs mentioned by Bluesummerayz during the viewing. Didnt see any so far. In fact, unit was well equiped w appliance like TV,c omputers etc. Waredrobe and kitchen looks new (agent say renovation done 2 yrs ago). Owner couple was at home when we view the place.

For now we are trying to keep our options open hear what they have to say/counter offer, at the same time continue to look out for other units. Just cant stop myself from thinking about it.

Moving is such a headache, lease expiring in 2months and we most likely going to shift twice( since even now buy also cannot complete in time before lease expire). Beside buying a hdb, still need to look for another place to shift. Aiyoh.

You should also have a chat with some of the neighbours not just to find out if there is anything wrong with the unit, but also to suss out your future neighbours... I have 2 indian families flanking on either side as neighbours tho mine is a corner unit (its a U shaped block). Every evening there will be ding ding ding without fail.. for maybe abt 10 to 15 mins? at first I thought what.. ice cream man izzit.. then I realised they were performing prayers.. abit noisy, but didn't really mind it after hearing it a few times, plus i like to the smell of the sandalwood they use.. I feel it purify my home too hahaha

One thing I like tho is the fact most of us open our main doors, and said hello to each other when we pass by. It also does help that I stuff them with lots of home made cakes. :yamseng:

Edited by Bluesummerayz

Ah Longs scary also mah..! Imagine coming home every day and your place is plastered in paint....! Yes, can call the police.. But do you want that.. Gotta weigh the location/floor level/sun/environment/neighbour issues against the hassle of being plagued by unwanted troubles like this too, or so it is for ppl like me...

S'pore's Ah Long is "peanut".

Once you stay 3 months in Malaysia, HK, Taiwan or China, you'll understand and appreciate what I mean.

Like that also can.. stomp them... lian he wan bao them.. xin ming wan bao them... pffffttt pple are so irresponsible these days...

The debtor managed to sell away his resale in 3qtr-2010 at market rate somemore. The buyer (single lady) didn't do homework by asking around his neighbours. If not, I will not hesitate to tell her abt the history. Anyway, it has been already been 10 mths after the paint splash, so far nothing happened. Just hope it will be smooth sailing down the road.

S'pore's Ah Long is "peanut".

Once you stay 3 months in Malaysia, HK, Taiwan or China, you'll understand and appreciate what I mean.

In singapore, these 3rd/4th line runners just listen to instructions to the respective area ICs, to throw colourful paints/urine, apply adhesive/3M glue, use locks or at most burn paper materials at your corridors. The runners earns $20-$40 per household. They won't kill or injure the debtors, not worth it as the penalty is massive. Only one or two youth runners will tend to do stupid things. That's why SPF finds it difficult to apprehend even the assistants/captains/lieutenants of the syndicate, not mentioning the top man, cos most of them already start to operate in neighboring countries.

So far SPF is proud to apprehend the chua bros under section 55 and subsequently jailed 10years.

I know in china, those money lenders can be very nice those debtors who 讲信用 and pay on time. Those nasty ones, will break or chop hands/legs, or even kill and bury them in remote area.

Edited by Roflmaoxz