Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rover

3-Roomer : Bachalor'S Paradise

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I agree with maydream. It's very hard to plan spaces and have designs if you haven't got the physical space yet. My house will only be ready in 3 years time and space planning is out of the window because some things may not turn out like what you expect it to be. Like if you want to hack a certain wall, what if it doesn't get approved or if you see a perfect house, are you giving it up because some rooms aren't beside some and it doesn't fit into your perfect space? But I guess you're at the right place... You can get some ideas from forummers here, absorbing all the things you can look out for but do keep an open mind in terms of hunting down your perfect pad. Good luck!

Woahhhh! i gotta vote for this...! different from a 'typical' kitchen yet totally functionalable! *drooooool!

Lol. Nice right? :) But if u would hv noticed, there's no cooker (of cos the owner could opt for portable one which could be put away).

for a 3I corner unit, the size usually is ard 70sm w/o the utility rm, w is 76sm) you can extend your mbr if you don't mind the beam is above the bed! (there is a beam running across the house, do note).

as for the living/dinning, you can have a long dinning table, place it parallel to the wall with bench sitting on 1 side, and chairs on the other side. sofa can be plcae again the window (formerly room no 2) the length of from the window to your tv wall will be at least 3.5m if you have only 1 room (mbr will be extended also, but bed might be under beam)

if you wanna a small guest room/study room, living length (window/sofa dist to tv wall)will be ard 3m, but can't extend mbr cos your guest/study room will be ard 2-2.5m.

storage can be constructed on the wall after the dinning table.

can catch the ball?

Yup. Tts roughly wat I hv in mind too. Am actually having the same space allocation concept as wat u mentioned. Storage will be either before or after the dining table/area (likely to after, ie blend into the overall kitchen cabinet design). Another thing I'm pondering is, I hv an extra little area which I dunno wat to do wif it. Eg, if my dining area is near kitchen side, I'll hv an unused space opp the new living room area (revamped frm the common room) at the door side. Likewise, if I placed the fining area opp the living room area (so tt ppl can watch tv as they eat), I'll hv an unused space before the kitchen area.

Catch the ball? ;)

thru my research last time:

3I :

Lots of beams running across ceiling.

ceiling height feels low.

Also these are typically built around the year 1975. Corridoors are much narrower.

Only 1 toilet, but got wall in between shower n WC. Toilet entrance does not link to MBR.

Though Utility room adds space, the usage is quite limited as it cannot be combined with other rooms. Most use it as junk room.

Small kitchen.

3NG:

One beam running across ceiling seperating kitchen and living room. Ceiling feels higher though.

Built ard 1980, wider corridoors.

2 toilets, but both small. Not sure if can combined..?

MBR got toilet.

Much better layeout as u can hack off storeroom

Super big kitchen (long is a better description actually)

There is another kind of 3 room, 3A or something, which is more rare.

Started looking around already?

Still early to hunt. Am spending my free time doing design and space planning first. Not likely to get the type tt hv storeroom between kitchen and living room. Feel tt it's outta way (apologies for those who hv such unit), and dun wanna spend money hacking it off juz to make way.

Likely to either hunt for 3ng or other types of corner unit.

6ed3dbda.jpg

c941239a.jpg

For corridor types, gotta see if I could hack off the wall of the common room to widen the living room space. Thus, one of my selection criteria when I hunt in future will be also to check wif hdb on where I could hack before I initiate OTP. Dun wan later buy liao can't hack den I'll hv prob initiating on my designs.

c941239a.jpg

For corridor types, gotta see if I could hack off the wall of the common room to widen the living room space. Thus, one of my selection criteria when I hunt in future will be also to check wif hdb on where I could hack before I initiate OTP. Dun wan later buy liao can't hack den I'll hv prob initiating on my designs.

This is the type I used to stay in. Yes, can knock off the wall to make bigger living room.

Personally i feel space planning now is too early when you don't even know which type of 3 room you going to purchase.

However, you can browse through and have a feel of what kind of design appeals to you, and color combination. There's the generic modern contemporary, resort, minimalist, modern mid-century (which is the flavor right now in renotalk's tblog), country.

Find one that appeals to you. Keep the pics! Its much easier to talk to IDs or contractors when you have pictures to show them

Good luck!

Well, I oredi hv in mind the type of unit which I'm gonna get, thus the planning. Also hv in clear mind tt would be gg for pure white minimalist concept, which suit juz basic single needs.

Will definitely be keeping the pics and ideas flowing in to revise and finalize designs once unit is purchased.

Personally i feel space planning now is too early when you don't even know which type of 3 room you going to purchase.

However, you can browse through and have a feel of what kind of design appeals to you, and color combination. There's the generic modern contemporary, resort, minimalist, modern mid-century (which is the flavor right now in renotalk's tblog), country.

Find one that appeals to you. Keep the pics! Its much easier to talk to IDs or contractors when you have pictures to show them

Good luck!

Yah, I agree with sfk7. As it is, it is very difficult to find a unit in the location and floor that you want. And when you do find it, it might not be ideal in terms of layout or beam restrictions. Ultimately, my way of looking at it is to find a home that you can live with (not necessarily ideal), and then plan the space and design around it. Resale public housing is like that, a lot of restrictions and drawbacks with its design.

As regards the style, I would single out a few styles that appeal to me, get as many pictures and ideas on those styles. Otherwise, too many to consider, very confusing, and worse, mix and match and they might come out looking very sala.

i tend to agree with Rover actually.

Simple reason: HDB produces designs and layouts in bulk. 3I flats were built in a certain era, 3NG in another. Newer room rooms might be more rare, but not to say that its tough to find.

Its very easy to find a 3NG flat in say Clementi, whereas those in Holland and Commonwealth are largely 3I. Saturday Classified are very useful, just take a look and u can find out what 3rm layouts are in which area.

Since Rover had decided on a certain layout of flat, next thing is simply the area, then zoom in to the specific block/unit direction. Of course, Rover has the luxury of time, which helps.

I, too, found my flat this way, i.e. choosing the layout and design first, then look for flats in the area i wanted.

Rover, how's your house search coming along?

Not so fast, fren. Earliest will be year end. Haven settle the proceedings yet leh. But more or less hv in mind how I wanna dressup my unit. Hehehe. Juz hope can find suitable unit by then. Only worry is buy liao can't hack walls den jialat.