Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
prody

A&m's Love Nest [Modern Resort]

Hi,

My WTB and I have been silent followers of this forum for a long time.

Like many other couples we have been balloting for an HDB unit for like the longest time.

Finally, early this year we have gotten the keys to our very own flat located in Jurong West. :sport-smiley-018:

To cut the story short, we decided to spend some $ and do a decent renovation. There was no preference of getting an ID or contractor because we roughly have the designs and layout in our minds.

The works actually has started and we've been busying ourselves with ID magazines, furniture shopping etc. Jalan Besar, Balestier, IMM and Paya Lebar have become our dating places.

Only now do I finally found the energy and effort to post some pics of our renovation works. Here's our floor plan:

ourfloorplan.jpg

Details n progress coming soon!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Welcome to Renotalk!

Looking forward to seeing your progress and pics.. Post alot of em! They speak a thousands words each apparently.. ;)

Thanks to Errandz for the tips.

Firstly here are some "before" pics.

Balcony

img0096ho.th.jpg

We opt to increase the living room by removing the balcony. The balcony wall blocks out the sunlight and made the dining area dark. As it is a structural wall, PE endorsement was required prior to hacking.

Bedroom 3

img0100df.th.jpg

This bedroom will be an activity cum guest room. Existing windows are brown and do not really match our Modern Resort theme. Therefore we decide to change all of them despite the additional cost!

Main Bedroom

img0103fw.th.jpg

This was taken inside the MBR facing the toilet. The space is for WIW with a partition wall built up to demarcate the area. You will realized from the floor plan that after putting up the false wall, the sleeping area will be very cramp. In order to solve this, wall separating MBR and BR2 will be hack!

Kitchen and Toilet

img0107az.th.jpgimg0104ci.th.jpg

HDB should really re-consider providing wall n floor tiles for kitchen n toilets. These tiles, basin and WC will have to go too, totally tak match.

Household Shelter

img0108ly.th.jpg

A plaster wall with "tic tac" door will be constructed to hide this opening.

Congrats on getting your keys!

If you already had in mind the designs & layout you want, probably you could save some $ by engaging a contractor instead of ID. :rolleyes:

Btw, possible to increase the size of the ur pics thumbnails.. so we could all see the details better? :D

Looking fwd to more updates then!

Hi,

My WTB and I have been silent followers of this forum for a long time.

Like many other couples we have been balloting for an HDB unit for like the longest time.

Finally, early this year we have gotten the keys to our very own flat located in Jurong West. :sport-smiley-018:

To cut the story short, we decided to spend some $ and do a decent renovation. There was no preference of getting an ID or contractor because we roughly have the designs and layout in our minds.

The works actually has started and we've been busying ourselves with ID magazines, furniture shopping etc. Jalan Besar, Balestier, IMM and Paya Lebar have become our dating places.

Only now do I finally found the energy and effort to post some pics of our renovation works. Here's our floor plan:

Details n progress coming soon!

Hahaha.. "tic tac" door... Like the way u described it

Kitchen and Toilet

img0107az.th.jpgimg0104ci.th.jpg

HDB should really re-consider providing wall n floor tiles for kitchen n toilets. These tiles, basin and WC will have to go too, totally tak match.

Household Shelter

img0108ly.th.jpg

A plaster wall with "tic tac" door will be constructed to hide this opening.

Sure thing Stardust. I'm a noob at posting on forum but slowly getting the hang of it.

Anyway, so much for the boring pics... We have already source our some of our electrical appliances and furniture. The latter would be more exciting.

Taj

tajsofa.jpg

Porte

portej.jpg

Introducing the Taj sofa from Air Division. This caught our attention when we were at the showroom during GSS. Mainly bcos it has both form and function. All the furniture for our Modern Resort should have elements of wood and white colour (no metal or glass). In addition, all the fabric on Taj are removable, allowing easy cleaning just by throwing into washing machine :)

Another sofa called Porte was also shortlisted. It has a more beautiful oak wood instead of Taj's walnut colour. However, Porte's fabric covers are not detachable. Also, with two more pieces of wood at the sides, Porte is about $1K more expensive than Taj.

Hence we settle for Taj.

Hi there Prody, im eager to see what you end up doing as im also going for a modern resort look with clean lines with almost no use of metals or glass at all.

The next large furniture is the dining table...

Again criteria for us is wood and white. Also, we are expecting guests at our love nest so it has to be at least an 8-seater. We started by recce-ing at different Scanteak outlets bcos when it comes to wood they are the first that comes to mind. They have variety of designs but we didn't appreciate and felt it was somewhat outdated (Sorry Scanteak!).

Our first infatuation was with Omnia, an extendable dining table from Calligaris, XZQT. It has a wooden laminate and a black (solid surface?) table top version. It fulfills our needs of a big table and is made of wood. However the price tag is on the steep side for us.

Omnia

img0268aa.jpg

Royal Oak

Sometimes good things can be found when you least expected. Cellini! We were strolling in Park Mall when this dining table caught my fiance's attention.

img0323qj.jpg

img0325ed.jpg

img0327ki.jpg

This is a new line from Cellini. On top of dining table, they have sofa, bedframe, coffee table and TV console made out of Australian Oak (I was told). Two versions of the dining table: Wooden and engineered quartz top. The quartz is really attractive and complements the oak table legs hence we placed our deposit for the table (1.7m) and bench (1.6m). You can say its really a love at first sight. It's surprising I can't find any pic of this table on the net.

Hi there Prody, im eager to see what you end up doing as im also going for a modern resort look with clean lines with almost no use of metals or glass at all.

Hey Cornball, sure thing. I will try to post the pics every night. In fact, my renovation started early July and will be uploading some pics soon.

My contractor gave excuse that he is moving office on top of coping with other projects zz. But he's an honest guy lah, all in all still satisfied with his work thus far.

Hope not to disappoint you but I gradually thinking the end product might not totally be your type of modern resort. I would say mine is slightly on the Scandinavian side too? I guess the diff would be with and without plants (green)? Haha. My two cent worth.

Up next, we went to a quite well-known shop to purchase 1 coffee table and 2 study chairs.

noguchicoffeetable.jpg

img0260uo.jpg

img0258jz.jpg

No introduction required, readers of Home & Decor or Square Room will recognize the Noguchi coffee table and Eames dowel legs armchair. I'm pretty sure these are replicas, it's amazing some high-end boutique in Orchard Road is selling that same armchair for $1K each. Seriously...

In a way the Eames armchairs were a bit of impulse buy for me. After purchase, I realized everybody is using it on Home & Decor, machiam its buy one get one free or FOC. Anyway I quite certain I will not get anymore of those as dining chairs beside my Royal Oak.

My purchase from this quite-well-known shop was not the end. After a week or so we realized, for the 2 armchairs, the sales lady charges us $100 more than what was advertised on the newspaper! Admittingly, we did not do our homework prior to buying them.

Nevertheless, we went back to that shop and tried to reason with the manager. Fortunately, he was still professional and agreed to refund us the excess payment made. We were told that a cheque will be written and they will call to inform once its ready for collection. However, that was 1 month ago and we have not receive any news from them, I wonder if we kenna snooked again :bangwall: .

Up next, we went to a quite well-known shop to purchase 1 coffee table and 2 study chairs.

noguchicoffeetable.jpg

img0260uo.jpg

img0258jz.jpg

No introduction required, readers of Home & Decor or Square Room will recognize the Noguchi coffee table and Eames dowel legs armchair. I'm pretty sure these are replicas, it's amazing some high-end boutique in Orchard Road is selling that same armchair for $1K each. Seriously...

In a way the Eames armchairs were a bit of impulse buy for me. After purchase, I realized everybody is using it on Home & Decor, machiam its buy one get one free or FOC. Anyway I quite certain I will not get anymore of those as dining chairs beside my Royal Oak.

My purchase from this quite-well-known shop was not the end. After a week or so we realized, for the 2 armchairs, the sales lady charges us $100 more than what was advertised on the newspaper! Admittingly, we did not do our homework prior to buying them.

Nevertheless, we went back to that shop and tried to reason with the manager. Fortunately, he was still professional and agreed to refund us the excess payment made. We were told that a cheque will be written and they will call to inform once its ready for collection. However, that was 1 month ago and we have not receive any news from them, I wonder if we kenna snooked again :bangwall: .

Hahaha. I saw this exact table as well and it caught my eye. However my concern is that the glass top isn't attaches to the legs so it can be quite easily toppled over, notwithstanding it's rather heavy.

Hope not to disappoint you but I gradually thinking the end product might not totally be your type of modern resort. I would say mine is slightly on the Scandinavian side too? I guess the diff would be with and without plants (green)? Haha. My two cent worth.

That was my thought when I saw your choice of dining table and the Porte sofa (does it come in a dark wood stain - I thought I saw the darker wood one in the showroom).

Resort tend to lean towards to the darker wood stains, while what you've shown are the lighter woods, which are def more scandinavian.

I think Scandinavian look def has plants as well!

mid-century-modern-house-by-jessica-helgerson-interior-design5.jpg

The next large furniture is the dining table...

Again criteria for us is wood and white. Also, we are expecting guests at our love nest so it has to be at least an 8-seater. We started by recce-ing at different Scanteak outlets bcos when it comes to wood they are the first that comes to mind. They have variety of designs but we didn't appreciate and felt it was somewhat outdated (Sorry Scanteak!).

Our first infatuation was with Omnia, an extendable dining table from Calligaris, XZQT. It has a wooden laminate and a black (solid surface?) table top version. It fulfills our needs of a big table and is made of wood. However the price tag is on the steep side for us.

Omnia

img0268aa.jpg

Royal Oak

Sometimes good things can be found when you least expected. Cellini! We were strolling in Park Mall when this dining table caught my fiance's attention.

img0323qj.jpg

img0325ed.jpg

img0327ki.jpg

This is a new line from Cellini. On top of dining table, they have sofa, bedframe, coffee table and TV console made out of Australian Oak (I was told). Two versions of the dining table: Wooden and engineered quartz top. The quartz is really attractive and complements the oak table legs hence we placed our deposit for the table (1.7m) and bench (1.6m). You can say its really a love at first sight. It's surprising I can't find any pic of this table on the net.

I was also looking at buying the same table initially coz it's really so so beautiful. But we backed out coz after sitting down on the opposite side of each other , we realized the width of the table was too small for us at 700mm. 2 dining plates and there's not really a lot of space to place any plates or steamboat in the middle. There's an alternative to ask them to make a broader/wider top but it comes at an additional cost. We thought long and hard about this and had to make the difficult decision against it. I really love the co our of it, and that amazing bench makes it look so complete! Great choice IMHO.

noguchicoffeetable.jpg

img0260uo.jpg

img0258jz.jpg

Hey can you share the name of the shop? Looking for furniture that's of good value. Thanks!