Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mercsbenz

Help On Wall Tiles! (Cracking)

Hi all, I have a major problem, the kitchen and toilet tiles are starting to crack after 3 years since i renovated my house. I need expert help and advice to tell me whether these cracks are due to Workmanship, Quality of tiles, or the weather in Singapore in causing it. If it is the weather, i definite can accept it and pay for a repair. But if it is the cause of the contractor's workmanship and quality of the tiles, i definitely would not be going to pay for it. So, all experts please kindly give advices as I have spent quite a big amount renovating my house. Please kindly see attached photo. Thanks in advance!

This is the kitchen wall tiles:

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

The Side of the kitchen wall tiles:

IMG_0738.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It could be workmanship. Why not call ur contractor to hv a look first n see what his advises? It seem quite serious fm ur photos

My MBR toilet wall also crack, is near to the tiles end side. As i do not hv door frame install on my entrance to the toilet, only with a design wardrobe door to cover the toilet entrance. So i asked my contractor to take a look and surprised that he FOC & installed a timber door frame to cover the crack n support the tiles. It was like abt 6 yrs since renovation, and he still so responsible.

For ur case i think more hassles, most likely need to demolish the crack tiles & replace new ones.

Hi whitefantasy, thanks for your reply. I have shown the pictures to my ID and he is demanding quite an unreasonable sum to do the repair works. Definitely, they would say that its none of their fault. Have you know of any professional contractors that can confirm that it's a workmanship cause ? If so, maybe I might be able to put it against my ID and make him quote me a more reasonable price? Because without knowledge about all these stuff, it will be very difficult to argue with them.

:(

It could be workmanship. Why not call ur contractor to hv a look first n see what his advises? It seem quite serious fm ur photos

My MBR toilet wall also crack, is near to the tiles end side. As i do not hv door frame install on my entrance to the toilet, only with a design wardrobe door to cover the toilet entrance. So i asked my contractor to take a look and surprised that he FOC & installed a timber door frame to cover the crack n support the tiles. It was like abt 6 yrs since renovation, and he still so responsible.

For ur case i think more hassles, most likely need to demolish the crack tiles & replace new ones.

Yah forget to tell u, for those cracked tiles n area around it, u may like to stick it with masking tapes to prevent any possibilities of droppings that could cause injury. It is what my contractor does b4 the repair job done. Hope it helps.

Thank you so much for you help! I really appreciate it. I will try to contact with RADAC to see what they can help me out with. Sure, I will get some masking tape to stick onto it. :)

Yah forget to tell u, for those cracked tiles n area around it, u may like to stick it with masking tapes to prevent any possibilities of droppings that could cause injury. It is what my contractor does b4 the repair job done. Hope it helps.

I am quite sure this is a workmanship problem.

Environmental factors would not usually cause it to crack until so badly. Are you still under warranty?

So did you settle this with your renovator, or you tackle the problem yourself?

I am quite sure this is a workmanship problem.

Environmental factors would not usually cause it to crack until so badly. Are you still under warranty?

So did you settle this with your renovator, or you tackle the problem yourself?

Hi Renoseeker, I have approached my interior designer about this matter, as the warranty period has been over, he is asking me to pay quite a huge sum to repair it. problem is, i couldnt be always be the one who is paying to repair and rectify the problem. Because a few years ago, there is also a few lines of crack in between the tiles at my rubbish chute a few months after my renovation was done. If this is problem is confirmed a workmanship problem, I would have enough reason to justify my point for a lower cost repair or even a repair one.

Hi Lauer,

Yes, there is Home Improvement Program in My HDB estates for the past 1 year, but the problem is, these crackings are already there before the start of the construction, and what i have realized that the line of cracks keeps getting deeper.

Is there, or has there been, construction works involving piling at or near your house?

Cheers!

Hi Lauer,

Yes, there is Home Improvement Program in My HDB estates for the past 1 year, but the problem is, these crackings are already there before the start of the construction, and what i have realized that the line of cracks keeps getting deeper.

Dear Mercbenz,

I am not an engineer (any engineer around this thread?) but I would find the crack lines formation highly suspicious to be attributed to a tiler's workmanship. Where the tiles cracked, there should be a stress?

The kitchen's wall, for example, is the original HDB wall or one that was created by the ID?

Cheers!

Maybe at first, there are hair line cracks, but because of the Home Improvement Program, these cracks deepens.

If this is really the case, then I am not sure if you can claim from your ID. Because hair line cracks are fairly common and is not really a fault of the ID/tiler.

Some tiles crack more easily than others, especially the China $2.20 ones. Not sure what tiles you use, but your ID should have explained to you if you decide to use cheaper tiles.

Just my 2 cents

Since there are Home Improvement program, it might have deepen or worsen the condition that was earlier there. What i understand is that you can talk to the HDB for the in charge. They may not pay for the whole repair, but perhaps certain percentage, imo its better then nothing. Perhaps for the home improvement program they might have sent letters regarding such issues. Try recalling or try emailing and ask.

Dear Mercbenz,

I am not an engineer (any engineer around this thread?) but I would find the crack lines formation highly suspicious to be attributed to a tiler's workmanship. Where the tiles cracked, there should be a stress?

The kitchen's wall, for example, is the original HDB wall or one that was created by the ID?

Cheers!

Hi Lauer, all the wall tiles are done by the ID's contractor during the time of renovation.