Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aegis

Stantard Of Plastering Wall

Hi All, i'm 1st time renovation my house so i like to check with all the people in RT who have done plastering before. Today i went to my new house and saw that the MBR and the common room plastering is done, but when i use my hand to feel the surface some area is smooth and some area is rough. The worker who is doing the plastering saying this is alright because later stage at painting the painter will sand off the rough area. Is this true? Also the area some are smooth and some are rough are acceptable? Please advise me so i can tell my ID off because he said i'm expecting those Grade 1 plastering that is smooth enough for projector to be project on which i think should be the idea of plastering right? :sport-smiley-004: Thanks in Advance. :yamseng:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

plastering.. all is smooth.. no such thing as smooth or rough. My unit undergoing reno now. I plastering the kitchen, really smooth. Smoother and nicers than normal wall.. haha

the painter is not going to sand down your other wall liao. Unless there's something obviously sticking out, he'll just usehis scraper to dig it out.

plastering.. all is smooth.. no such thing as smooth or rough. My unit undergoing reno now. I plastering the kitchen, really smooth. Smoother and nicers than normal wall.. haha

the painter is not going to sand down your other wall liao. Unless there's something obviously sticking out, he'll just usehis scraper to dig it out.

Hi Arowana, thanks for the advice. That is what i told my ID. Really need to have a talk with him. :furious:

Plastering walls normally are very smooth...

painter wont be bothered to sand the rough ares.... they dun care

also you need to take note for areas for sliding doors towards the wall... it must be SUPER LEVELED.

If not you will see ugly gaps...

you really want to see whether job well done or not just buy a warmwhite t5 light and shine against the wall you will see everything...

Hi All, i'm 1st time renovation my house so i like to check with all the people in RT who have done plastering before. Today i went to my new house and saw that the MBR and the common room plastering is done, but when i use my hand to feel the surface some area is smooth and some area is rough. The worker who is doing the plastering saying this is alright because later stage at painting the painter will sand off the rough area. Is this true? Also the area some are smooth and some are rough are acceptable? Please advise me so i can tell my ID off because he said i'm expecting those Grade 1 plastering that is smooth enough for projector to be project on which i think should be the idea of plastering right? :sport-smiley-004: Thanks in Advance. :yamseng:

Plastering walls normally are very smooth...

painter wont be bothered to sand the rough ares.... they dun care

also you need to take note for areas for sliding doors towards the wall... it must be SUPER LEVELED.

If not you will see ugly gaps...

you really want to see whether job well done or not just buy a warmwhite t5 light and shine against the wall you will see everything...

Hi Ben263, thanks for your advice. Tomorrow will be meeting the ID at my new house to talk about the status and defect of the workmanship.

Hi Guys and Gals, i just informed by my id regarding the plastering rectification. I last mention that the wall is not smooth and the ID said he will make sure it smooth before paint it, but i also notice a problem that the wall is not flat after plastering which i could not accept. He said that he consult another company doing plastering and told me that so far no one can guarantee that they are able to make my 28yrs old flat wall super duper flat unless we applied cement to the wall to flatten it which will cause the house to become smaller.

I like to check with people who have brought a old flat like me, that the wall of the original HDB was wavy meaning some parts of the wall look bloated and some parts are sink in. Do your ID/Contractor managed to plaster it flat or the wall are some how still in the state of wavy form. Please advise me. Thanks.

smooth plastering does not equate straight n flat walls. its during reno then u will see hdb construction quality is lousy....walls slanted, crooked, not right angle with adjacent walls. the only time u can see straight flat walls is when they use gypsum board to make L-boxes n covelights. live with it. manage your expectations well.

u should only evaluate after they complete the painting works.

Edited by neubie

Those older HDB flat walls.. the original walls are simple cement block walls, dun even have cement screed, so don't expect original construction to be flat or SQUARE to the room! Can see the block patterns.

Plastering walls is a major effort. Need to factor in smoothness, flatness, SQUARENESS to VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL and Floor/Wall. Without redoing the screed, is hard for a simple plasterer to promise all these. When tiling or doing built in cabinets, all these squareness issues will pop out. Therefore, need to manage expectations. If expect perfection, redo all the screed/skirting etc.

Thanks for the advice. 1st time doing the reno and even my parent never did plastering before in their lives so need to seek advice. :sport-smiley-004: Will See how is the rectification goes these 3 days. Thanks again. :yamseng:

i got an old 30 year old flat...

basically plastering of walls are never super levelled....

the main thing that you should look at is whether it looks good..

if it does no issue... but as what I have said if should there be a glass door then that particular area must be straight and levelled...

my house did cement plaster 1st then i went over with stopping plaster.

it time consuming... but overall it looks flat enough unless you put a table against the wall..

Hi Guys and Gals, i just informed by my id regarding the plastering rectification. I last mention that the wall is not smooth and the ID said he will make sure it smooth before paint it, but i also notice a problem that the wall is not flat after plastering which i could not accept. He said that he consult another company doing plastering and told me that so far no one can guarantee that they are able to make my 28yrs old flat wall super duper flat unless we applied cement to the wall to flatten it which will cause the house to become smaller.

I like to check with people who have brought a old flat like me, that the wall of the original HDB was wavy meaning some parts of the wall look bloated and some parts are sink in. Do your ID/Contractor managed to plaster it flat or the wall are some how still in the state of wavy form. Please advise me. Thanks.

i got an old 30 year old flat...

basically plastering of walls are never super levelled....

the main thing that you should look at is whether it looks good..

if it does no issue... but as what I have said if should there be a glass door then that particular area must be straight and levelled...

my house did cement plaster 1st then i went over with stopping plaster.

it time consuming... but overall it looks flat enough unless you put a table against the wall..

Hi ben263, my glass door wall are all tiles so this should not be the problem. Now i know it will not be super level, just that the wall look super wavy after they plaster it. Which i think will pose some issue when light shine on it. Anyway the ID is getting the wall redo again. Let me see what is the limit they can do it up. Thanks for your advice. :yamseng:

On 8/23/2011 at 8:09 PM, aegis said:

Your plastering still ok? Especially bathroom ceiling