Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GrandReno

Must Floor Skirting Be Removed To Install Customized Wardrobes?

Hi...

I would like to check if wood floor skirting needs to be removed before a customized wardrobe is installed.

The wood floor contractor told me this is so that the back of the wardrobe can be flushed nicely against the wall. Otherwise, there will be a small gap at the back.

Is this true? I'm just wondering if he is saying this so that he can save on the skirting at some areas.

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi...

I would like to check if wood floor skirting needs to be removed before a customized wardrobe is installed.

The wood floor contractor told me this is so that the back of the wardrobe can be flushed nicely against the wall. Otherwise, there will be a small gap at the back.

Is this true? I'm just wondering if he is saying this so that he can save on the skirting at some areas.

Thanks.

I think it depends on individual. If you would want the skirting to be up, just tell the wood floor contractor to do as you have requested. It is possible for the carpenter to custom make the wardrobe to fit nicely to your wall with skirting and beams etc. Of course, by not having the skirting the wardrobe will flush nicely against the wall, by doing this it will look neat and nice.

You have to think long term as well, what if you need to tear down the old wardrobe and relocate the wardrobe to other corners one day, or selling off the unit.

I think it depends on individual. If you would want the skirting to be up, just tell the wood floor contractor to do as you have requested. It is possible for the carpenter to custom make the wardrobe to fit nicely to your wall with skirting and beams etc. Of course, by not having the skirting the wardrobe will flush nicely against the wall, by doing this it will look neat and nice.

You have to think long term as well, what if you need to tear down the old wardrobe and relocate the wardrobe to other corners one day, or selling off the unit.

Hi, thanks.

I definitely will want to consider skirting. As you said, if next time I wish to remove the wardrobe or sell away the home, at least there's something there.

My only concern is whether the wardrobe can flush nicely against the wall if the skirting is present. As long as that is possible, then I will go ahead. What I am afraid is there will be a very slight gap between the wardrobe and the wall. Not nice...

selling off the unit has any relationship to the wardrobes? Unless you want to bring the wardrobes with u?

But for build-in wardrobes, you cannot take away.

selling off the unit has any relationship to the wardrobes? Unless you want to bring the wardrobes with u?

naughty naughty :sport-smiley-004:

Hi, thanks.

I definitely will want to consider skirting. As you said, if next time I wish to remove the wardrobe or sell away the home, at least there's something there.

My only concern is whether the wardrobe can flush nicely against the wall if the skirting is present. As long as that is possible, then I will go ahead. What I am afraid is there will be a very slight gap between the wardrobe and the wall. Not nice...

GrandReno, it will definitely be neater without the skirting, and it's very easy and cheap to replaced wood skirting.

symphony,

what do you mean by "neater"? Does it mean the wardrobe is more flushed (less gap) without the skirting?

Edited by GrandReno

symphony,

what do you mean by "neater"? Does it mean the wardrobe is more flushed (less gap) without the skirting?

Yes, otherwise it will be alot of works on the wardrobe side to make it possible.

taking away the built in wardrobe with you of course is not possible. The thing is, in near future, lets say in 3 to 5 years time, you are going to move. And future owner seeing that there is no skirting at certain area, yet still wanting to retain flooring. They will ask for discount. That would affect your cov. And thinking into the future, resale unit may not be as popular as now, because there may not be as much demand as now. If having wardrobe flushing nicely against the wall is what you want, then follow your feeling. No hard and fast rule, plus if you are going to just do timber skirting, they may not last that long either if they are going to get in touch with water very often, so you may need to remove them and do it again at that time.

your carpenter lazy lah...

got to just do a cut-in at the back of the base...

all carpenters know what to do when got skirting...

they do not remove skirting... they just put it up with abit of adjustments to the base...

the laminates at the sides normally installed last or at least that's what happened to my house...

another method is to use the gap filler loh... but if your gap is more than 2 mm then your carpenter skill not that good...

Hi, thanks.

taking away the built in wardrobe with you of course is not possible. The thing is, in near future, lets say in 3 to 5 years time, you are going to move. And future owner seeing that there is no skirting at certain area, yet still wanting to retain flooring. They will ask for discount. That would affect your cov. And thinking into the future, resale unit may not be as popular as now, because there may not be as much demand as now. If having wardrobe flushing nicely against the wall is what you want, then follow your feeling. No hard and fast rule, plus if you are going to just do timber skirting, they may not last that long either if they are going to get in touch with water very often, so you may need to remove them and do it again at that time.

Ha, I didn't mention I wanted to bring along the built-in wardrobe. If you read above, that statement was wrongly assumed by another fella here.

Yes, like you said, if in future, the buyer wants to remove the wardrobe and finds no skirting, I'm not sure how it will affect the selling, cos I would have many rooms with customized carpentry. That was what I had originally meant in my post above.

Then, thinking about it again, I'm not so sure now that just because of the missing skirting, the cov will be drastically affected.

Edited by GrandReno

your carpenter lazy lah...

got to just do a cut-in at the back of the base...

all carpenters know what to do when got skirting...

they do not remove skirting... they just put it up with abit of adjustments to the base...

the laminates at the sides normally installed last or at least that's what happened to my house...

another method is to use the gap filler loh... but if your gap is more than 2 mm then your carpenter skill not that good...

Noted...

So can I conclude that:

Without the skirting, it's a lot easier on the carpenter's job to have the wardrobe flushed to the wall. As good as guaranteed. But...

even with the skirting present, it is still possible to achieve a good flush to the wall, just that it involves more work and skills on the carpenter's part.

Hmm....

I didn't think abt that when I bought my resale flat.

What I'm looking at is .. can keep the floor or not.

Location good or not

neighbor ok or not

direction good or not.

When I hack away their old wardrobe and bookshelve, I build another one at the same location.

Actually, the worst part is.. behind the kitchen cabinet, there isn't any tiles. Which I don't think can able to check.

In the end, we need to ask my contractor to find sth colour close to the rest of the wall tiles to fill up the empty wall at the kitchen sink.

Ha, I didn't mention I wanted to bring along the built-in wardrobe. If you read above, that statement was wrongly assumed by another fella here.

Yes, like you said, if in future, the buyer wants to remove the wardrobe and finds no skirting, I'm not sure how it will affect the selling, cos I would have many rooms with customized carpentry. That was what I had originally meant in my post above.

Then, thinking about it again, I'm not so sure now that just because of the missing skirting, the cov will be drastically affected.

Well, for some of the customized carpentry such as wardrobe, when the side wasn't covered, you can clearly see if there are any skirting. Sometimes, with experience people looking at resale unit, in order to cut down on COV, they will find faults. Don't be surprised if you ever met such people.

For my parent's place, we have marble skirting covered fully for our house. And no problem on the carpentry, the gaps are really small between the cupboards and the skirting and it is filled with silicone. Customized carpentry is supposed to do that for you. Unless the carpenter has poor workmanship that resulted in big gaps.

What i can say is follow your feeling, whichever you feel comfortable with. Once decided, don't look back. When this issue arrives then decide.

Well, for some of the customized carpentry such as wardrobe, when the side wasn't covered, you can clearly see if there are any skirting. Sometimes, with experience people looking at resale unit, in order to cut down on COV, they will find faults. Don't be surprised if you ever met such people.

For my parent's place, we have marble skirting covered fully for our house. And no problem on the carpentry, the gaps are really small between the cupboards and the skirting and it is filled with silicone. Customized carpentry is supposed to do that for you. Unless the carpenter has poor workmanship that resulted in big gaps.

What i can say is follow your feeling, whichever you feel comfortable with. Once decided, don't look back. When this issue arrives then decide.

Thanks MingzhuAng for your explanation. :)