Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Most people blast IKEA without even using it, but only based on hearsay and word-of-mouth. It's actually quite unfair, but they have a bad reputation usually because of warping particleboard stuff.

As far as I know, IKEA products are honest and you usually get what you pay for. The cheap particleboard furniture will be of cheap particleboard quality. Those solid wood furniture will be of solid wood quality. There is no magic. Slapping a brand name on a piece of wood doesn't change the quality in any way. Because IKEA offers such a wide range of kitchens, it cannot be generalised to be "good" or "bad". Just that, you usually get what you pay for. And read the product details before buying!

One thing for sure is this: IKEA honours their warranty, and they won't close shop and run away with your money. They also won't over-quote you or play any sly contractor tactics. This means peace of mind when you shop.

Is it the best? Definitely not. Is it of good quality? I'm sure there are good ones, and not-so-good ones.

Conclusion: you'd probably get what you pay for at IKEA; you'd probably be able to find a better deal elsewhere (better quality or better price), but also run the same risk of getting a lousy deal (as I did :bangwall:).

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

can i check with anybody who has done an ikea kitchen.

can we get the ikea contractor to cut the solid top to fit the hob and sink?

i think according to the ikea website, they will only do it for the wooden tops?

and anybody can post some pictures of their ikea kitchen?

My previous home, everything i got from Ikea. Got pros and cons...

- 4 door wardrobe with sliding doors,

- 2 door wardrobe for the kids room

- 2 toddler beds,

- short billy books shelves

- tall bookcase

- shelved cupboard with doors x 2

- 1 large study table, complete with keyboard trays etc

- 1 coffee table

- Expedit shelving

- metal cutlery holder

- all cutlery,

- all dining wares (plates/cups/bowls)

- curtain rods for DIY fixing

- All lighting fixtures.

- and plenty of wooden unfinish pine shelving.

What is good:

- dining wares. (if something breaks and chips, you got easy replacements)

- tall skinny black bookcase, (fits in small corner in the wall. and still study.)

- Expedit shelving (no mold)

- curtain rods (easy enough that my hubby can fix all our curtains)

- lighting for the whole house. (cheap and good plus easy to replace the bulbs.)

-chopping boards, knives set.

- wall shelves + brackets x 2

What is bad:

- 4 door wardrobe, (they use cheap ply wood for the back of the wardrobe. So after 1 month... before i even moved in, all moldy)

- 1 coffee table (the bottom of the table surface, turned moldy after 1 month.Plus, it sages. )

- 2 door wrdrobe for the kids room ( same as the 4 door, turned moldy)

The above funiture, turned moldy within a month of delivery/assembly. I called up Ikea and every CSO I spoke to said a different thing. I got:

- you did not stay in the house.. House no one stay, easy to get moldy.

- your house moldy that is how it transferred to the furniture.

- you did not clean your furniture.

- the whole batch of plywood was moldy, so even if change for me, within a month will still be moldy.

Since mold have 'deep roots' and 'spores' even if they changed, the spores would have gotten into the surrounding air and if change, it is likely to grow back.

So I was advised to just wipe it down and clean the furniture as and when the mold grows back...

When ask them to replace the moldy stuff, they refused. until I went down to their shop at Tampines and talk to the manager, armed with pictures of the mold, receipts, etc.

I guess, since it was crowded, they did not want me to create a scene, so they agreed to change.

So, they say "We will change to the 'better quality' wood for you.

I did not understand how my house can be moldy... cos my other wooden stuff like a wooden dining set, seahorse brand cupboard (donated by a relative) and a wooden side table are all fine., except the IKEA plywood

- The big study table.. (sags under the weight of a laptop after a while.)

- cutlery holder and cutlery. (all rusty. Yes even the spoons and forks.. )

So, conclusion is while I still go to Ikea for diningware for my 2nd home, I will avoid all their wooden stuff (unless its very cheap and I don't mind throwing away) and their metal stuff that comes in contact with water, cos it'll rust badly.

And Kitchen cabinet, why so ex at 9k? I did mine at 1.5k inclusive of the granite counter top. So if I add $400 sink, $100 mixer and $400 hob and $300 hood, 2 x $280 chicken brand pull out stainless steel drawers, still cheaper. My kitchen built in is 20ft running with a tiled floor cos I hate wood rot... ... So maybe yours is bigger.

My previous home, everything i got from Ikea. Got pros and cons...

- 4 door wardrobe with sliding doors,

- 2 door wardrobe for the kids room

- 2 toddler beds,

- short billy books shelves

- tall bookcase

- shelved cupboard with doors x 2

- 1 large study table, complete with keyboard trays etc

- 1 coffee table

- Expedit shelving

- metal cutlery holder

- all cutlery,

- all dining wares (plates/cups/bowls)

- curtain rods for DIY fixing

- All lighting fixtures.

- and plenty of wooden unfinish pine shelving.

What is good:

- dining wares. (if something breaks and chips, you got easy replacements)

- tall skinny black bookcase, (fits in small corner in the wall. and still study.)

- Expedit shelving (no mold)

- curtain rods (easy enough that my hubby can fix all our curtains)

- lighting for the whole house. (cheap and good plus easy to replace the bulbs.)

-chopping boards, knives set.

- wall shelves + brackets x 2

What is bad:

- 4 door wardrobe, (they use cheap ply wood for the back of the wardrobe. So after 1 month... before i even moved in, all moldy)

- 1 coffee table (the bottom of the table surface, turned moldy after 1 month.Plus, it sages. )

- 2 door wrdrobe for the kids room ( same as the 4 door, turned moldy)

The above funiture, turned moldy within a month of delivery/assembly. I called up Ikea and every CSO I spoke to said a different thing. I got:

- you did not stay in the house.. House no one stay, easy to get moldy.

- your house moldy that is how it transferred to the furniture.

- you did not clean your furniture.

- the whole batch of plywood was moldy, so even if change for me, within a month will still be moldy.

Since mold have 'deep roots' and 'spores' even if they changed, the spores would have gotten into the surrounding air and if change, it is likely to grow back.

So I was advised to just wipe it down and clean the furniture as and when the mold grows back...

When ask them to replace the moldy stuff, they refused. until I went down to their shop at Tampines and talk to the manager, armed with pictures of the mold, receipts, etc.

I guess, since it was crowded, they did not want me to create a scene, so they agreed to change.

So, they say "We will change to the 'better quality' wood for you.

I did not understand how my house can be moldy... cos my other wooden stuff like a wooden dining set, seahorse brand cupboard (donated by a relative) and a wooden side table are all fine., except the IKEA plywood

- The big study table.. (sags under the weight of a laptop after a while.)

- cutlery holder and cutlery. (all rusty. Yes even the spoons and forks.. )

So, conclusion is while I still go to Ikea for diningware for my 2nd home, I will avoid all their wooden stuff (unless its very cheap and I don't mind throwing away) and their metal stuff that comes in contact with water, cos it'll rust badly.

And Kitchen cabinet, why so ex at 9k? I did mine at 1.5k inclusive of the granite counter top. So if I add $400 sink, $100 mixer and $400 hob and $300 hood, 2 x $280 chicken brand pull out stainless steel drawers, still cheaper. My kitchen built in is 20ft running with a tiled floor cos I hate wood rot... ... So maybe yours is bigger.

Cam u share with me ur kitchen installer? 1.9k inclusive of granite countertop sounds like a gd deal