Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pooh

Homogenous tiles?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hmm...i didn't do any brand comparison yet, or any in-depth research as of now. Just wanna get a genaeral feel if possible.

I ever saw tiles priced around $2.20 psf - $3 psf. I suppose they are from China if i didn't recall wrongly. However, what would be the price for those made from Spain, Italy for instance. Are they of the same price as above as well? I suppose those from Italy don't cost that little..... Please enlighten, thanks.

Haha... how can Italian made tiles have same quality as China made tiles? Have you ever made any comparison from the test report or not?

No offence but definetely imposible to say Italian and China made tiles are equal in quality.

Can you imagine your airfare to fly to China and to Italy? Italy tiles may be on higher cost but not necessary be the quality is better as alot of cost has gone to Freighting. Besides, alot of Euro manufacturer has shifted their plant to the Asia and many in China. So are you saying that tiles that produce in China which manufacturer is Italy own no good or it is still a Italy made tiles? Nothing is impossible. No offence but I think its a bias statement. Just to highlight, I no supporter for China product but neutral. Just commenting my know-what that's all

Hmm...i didn't do any brand comparison yet, or any in-depth research as of now. Just wanna get a genaeral feel if possible.

I ever saw tiles priced around $2.20 psf - $3 psf. I suppose they are from China if i didn't recall wrongly. However, what would be the price for those made from Spain, Italy for instance. Are they of the same price as above as well? I suppose those from Italy don't cost that little..... Please enlighten, thanks.

The price of tiles will not tell exactly where it comes from. There are many other country that product similar tiles, like thailand and indonesia. I've no comment over price of Spain and Italy tiles, but you will probably be paying more for freighting cost for tiles that manufacture directly from Spain and Italy. I think we should look at the quality and finishes that suit us than looking at the country of original unless we are brand conscious

Can you imagine your airfare to fly to China and to Italy? Italy tiles may be on higher cost but not necessary be the quality is better as alot of cost has gone to Freighting. Besides, alot of Euro manufacturer has shifted their plant to the Asia and many in China. So are you saying that tiles that produce in China which manufacturer is Italy own no good or it is still a Italy made tiles? Nothing is impossible. No offence but I think its a bias statement. Just to highlight, I no supporter for China product but neutral. Just commenting my know-what that's all

The price of tiles will not tell exactly where it comes from. There are many other country that product similar tiles, like thailand and indonesia. I've no comment over price of Spain and Italy tiles, but you will probably be paying more for freighting cost for tiles that manufacture directly from Spain and Italy. I think we should look at the quality and finishes that suit us than looking at the country of original unless we are brand conscious

Err... tiles dun usually go by the air, but mostly by sea. Firstly, air freight is usually for time-sensitive cargo. Secondly, air freight is very exp. Thirdly, the weight and quantity shipped, would probably need a plane load to carry what you carry in one container. If tiles were to go by air (be it from China or Europe), dun think we will be looking at the price we are paying now. And, sea freight consitute only a very small % of the cost of the goods.

If u thnk they are comparable, why dun u post the technical comparison based on test report to substantiate your statement....

No bias statement, it is just a fact... that's all

The carpenter tell me acid wash can only wash all other tiles, except homo and marble, cos will cause it to lose its shinniness/ polishness. But my ID says ok, no problem. The polishness will still be there.

Correct ??

Can u all assist???

Currently i'm using homo tiles, since it says its heavy duty, more durable than ceremics tiles but how come when accidentally drop my keys and its chip off (quite a small dots) and also every time i drop somethings even if didnt chip, there's still a dark mark which cant be removed even i rub it...

izzt more durable than ceremic tiles??? Since my mum been using ceremics tiles for many yrs and there's no chip when i throw things on the tiles... except when i accidentally drop the padlock...

Anyone facing the same problemz??

Some contractors/ID says they use GRADE A HOMOGENEOUS tiles.

What is GRADE A Homogeneous tiles? How does laymen like us knows the difference between the various homo tiles except thru pricing?

Thks & cheers

Vince

The carpenter tell me acid wash can only wash all other tiles, except homo and marble, cos will cause it to lose its shinniness/ polishness. But my ID says ok, no problem. The polishness will still be there.

Correct ??

It all depends on how "strong" the acid is... homo tiles cann't use too strong acid...

Can u all assist???

Currently i'm using homo tiles, since it says its heavy duty, more durable than ceremics tiles but how come when accidentally drop my keys and its chip off (quite a small dots) and also every time i drop somethings even if didnt chip, there's still a dark mark which cant be removed even i rub it...

izzt more durable than ceremic tiles??? Since my mum been using ceremics tiles for many yrs and there's no chip when i throw things on the tiles... except when i accidentally drop the padlock...

Anyone facing the same problemz??

Jaren, my experience is quite similar to yours. My family's original flat(private), is more than 35 years old, we have not lived in it for more than 25 years, we just rent it out. The floor is red ceramic tiles, original floor, it was sold to us with these tiles. The red ceramic tiles look so fantastic, no-one who visits and view the apartment can believe that they are the original issue tiles, never changed, never replaced. They do not have a single mark on them, despite being rented out to many "havoc" people over a span of 25 years.

By contrast, when I bought my 2nd hand resale flat last year, the homogenous tiles in the living room looked like a terrible mess. The white had turned dull, rough, stained grey. The contractor had to work for 3 full days to polish and restore it to an acceptable condition. To this day, I have to wash the floor every other day, and polish it every week. Very "su-zhang", or "Dirt Absorbing."

That is the reason I always specify Ceramic Tiles today.

(but I am not so brave as you. I would never dare to drop a big set of keys or a padlock on my tiled floors!!!!!)

we've seen from a few different home for the homogenous tiles..

and we are wondering... how come for some, we can feel the groutings still though very fine.. but some are really smooth and we cun feel it?

we were also told by our ID that the groutings will be about 2mm cos they will put dividers when they lay..

but some houses we seen really seems to be so fine that it doesn't look like 2mm..

is there anyone who's expert in this and can advise us?

Hi all, just to gather opinions. I plan to have the same homo tiles from kitchen to dining to living and bedrooms. Thus, i cannot use shiny/glossy type of tiles. have to use matt and with a bit of texture so that it will not be too slippery when mopping the floor. Reason being, my mum is 70+ and i don't want her to fall down while mopping the floor.

Will it be too weird to have non glossy tiles in living room and bedrooms?

Please advise

There is a wide choice of different textures and finishes - matt and glossy. You can view and feel at the tile shops.

Edited by ugoh