Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
estiq

Dealing With Late Delivery

Just sharing with everyone what you can do to deter contractors from completing your reno late.

I am in the midst of my reno works and apparently it will be delayed "due to unforeseen events" like the President Election.. *rolleyes*

I made my contractor an agreement:

for each day of late delivery (LD) I will get $15 off my final for the first 7 days

The next 7 days will be $25 off for each day

The following 7 days onwards at $35 off.

:) he is now 10 days late hehe and there's a flurry of work going on now.

You guys might want to consider the same and when more people do this it will become industry standard.

This is already the standard for commercial contractors at up to $2000 per day for late delivery!

So my rates for home reno sounds pretty sane.

My friends actually suggested $50 per day. So go with what you are comfortable with. Hope it helps!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Just sharing with everyone what you can do to deter contractors from completing your reno late.

I am in the midst of my reno works and apparently it will be delayed "due to unforeseen events" like the President Election.. *rolleyes*

I made my contractor an agreement:

for each day of late delivery (LD) I will get $15 off my final for the first 7 days

The next 7 days will be $25 off for each day

The following 7 days onwards at $35 off.

How were you able to get him to commit and how will you get him to honour the agreement? Is it in the contract? And is that legally binding?

Hi all,

yes the contractor agreed to my rates. I brought this up during our early meetings and work has already started. He was pretty confident it would end on time so he just agreed. I think a verbal agreement is also legally binding.

anyway the total amount I calculated was $15 x 5 + $25 x 5 + $35 x 2 = $270 I calculated based on a 5 day work week though he had little works going on during the weekends.

anyway, he suggested that he would paint all the doors and gate of my house instead of an outright $270 rebate and we were fine with that.

I just hope more people would do this and put it in the early stages of negotiations so that this become an industry practice. It already is the industry practice in the commercial reno market, why not home reno market?

I don't see why quality of work should drop just because there is a penalty to missing the deadline. Does it mean that the timeline given was never meant to be taken seriously? Commercial works have penalty and still quality of work must be delivered. So what's the diff?

If this is given to contractors for your home, you are really asking for bad workmanship due to rush work. As for retails and commerical, theres a LD because of huge rental fee, workers pay and etc. Hope other members here do not follow your way. Do you want to save a few hundreds and compromise the workmanship that you might used at least for 5 to 10 years? Do a calculation for this. :jawdrop:

As for schedule, its always says that PROPOSED SCHEDULE... if yourself delay some work or have additional or even drag some of the time. How could the contractors met the schedule?

what one can do is create a gantt chart and layout what plans or needs to be done week on week. Layout clearly what will need to be provided by you also so that there's no misunderstanding of lateness in delivery.

GEnerally 5 room takes about 2 months there about. More carpentry will need more time. Because a contractor usually uses 1 carpenter for all the carpentry work also. So the carpenter can only do the carpentry work one by one, it wouldnt happen consecutively.

I'm running into my 2.5months of delivery and trying not to rush my contractor too much but understand that i've quite alot of carpentry so this is not to be unexpected. Putting a late delivery clause will only make the contractor give you a much later delivery handover or doing a rushed job which nobody really wants also.

what one can do is create a gantt chart and layout what plans or needs to be done week on week. Layout clearly what will need to be provided by you also so that there's no misunderstanding of lateness in delivery.

GEnerally 5 room takes about 2 months there about. More carpentry will need more time. Because a contractor usually uses 1 carpenter for all the carpentry work also. So the carpenter can only do the carpentry work one by one, it wouldnt happen consecutively.

I'm running into my 2.5months of delivery and trying not to rush my contractor too much but understand that i've quite alot of carpentry so this is not to be unexpected. Putting a late delivery clause will only make the contractor give you a much later delivery handover or doing a rushed job which nobody really wants also.