Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PublicLife

Hdb Floorplans: The Best (And Worst) Layouts In Public Housing

At first I thought this is just a usual Gen 1 layout...

b027be14525671_1_V550.jpg

Then I saw the kitchen and had to look again... not a usual EM layout for sure.

ee2b7314525739_1_V550.jpg

At 116 Clementi (Sunset way)

via: http://www.propertyg...reet-13-7708517

saw that unit for sale too but didnt think too much of the layout except the kitchen had that odd shape. too used to the blocks around this area having the corners like that, some units in block 101 are affected like this too.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

2a71a514152690_1_V550.jpg

Yikes! Pointy flat alert! :rolleyes:

Can you imagine trying to buy furniture to fit this unit...

Your dining table would have to be a triangle or a very skinny rectangle!

And Bedroom 3 is so skewed, that it's almost a trapezium! And it's so narrow that you could at best hope to fit a single bed inside... only just.

And the Master Bedroom is a bit of a basket case too! With one heavily slanted wall, there's always going to be space wasted even with built-in furniture.

Another, what-was-HDB-thinking moment! :wacko:

5jn5_602_uc4it.png

Gosh! Talk about bad vibes! :rolleyes:

The homeowner comes in and the first thing he sees... is the corner of the household shelter wall! Yeah... just what I wanna see when I come home! Really smart design... ;)

And what's with the trapezium-shaped kitchen? Seriously odd... :unsure:

saw that unit for sale too but didnt think too much of the layout except the kitchen had that odd shape. too used to the blocks around this area having the corners like that, some units in block 101 are affected like this too.

Hi Sleek and adidaem,

Is this a bad habit or some side effect of buying a flat.

I have been doing "that" as well for a year or so although i have already gotten my unit in the beginning of the year.

Seem to become a habit to check the EMs that are available for sale. LOL

Was reading some of the newer RT blogs, when I came across this 4-room point block layout that I haven't seen before:

Floorplan.jpg

Courtesy of My I-Pad

Although the layout seems pretty okay in general, I must wonder what HDB was thinking when they put Bedroom 3 where it is now. I mean, it's tucked away near the bomb shelter - no where near the rest of the bedrooms (or even the common toilet for that matter!). :rolleyes:

I think a good use for the bedroom 3 is to convert it into a study / playroom / maid's room

In fact, I think it is good for small families, maybe 1 child, or 2 young children. The children can sleep in bedroom 2 while bedroom 3 is converted into something more useful.

Another great way is to just hack the bedroom 3 wall, and have a super big living room! biggrin.gif

I think a good use for the bedroom 3 is to convert it into a study / playroom / maid's room

In fact, I think it is good for small families, maybe 1 child, or 2 young children. The children can sleep in bedroom 2 while bedroom 3 is converted into something more useful.

Actually, now that you mention it, Bedroom 3 would make an excellent nursery / kids' room. That way, their parents can get a good night's rest in the Master Bedroom while their brats can yell their heads off as much as they like and they can't hear them... Yippie! :)

Oh and they might want to think of the neighbors too, so maybe they might want to provide Bedroom 3 with sound insulation as well. ;)

Hi Sleek and adidaem,

Is this a bad habit or some side effect of buying a flat.

I have been doing "that" as well for a year or so although i have already gotten my unit in the beginning of the year.

Seem to become a habit to check the EMs that are available for sale. LOL

LOL, ya... bad habit. Also curious if any neighbours are selling their units.

Good to know I am not the only one with this 'affliction'! :rolleyes:

LOL, ya... bad habit. Also curious if any neighbours are selling their units.

Good to know I am not the only one with this 'affliction'! :rolleyes:

You guys are not alone... Haha... Always checking out the price trend and if my neighbours are selling especially my immediate neighbour.

Just step away from Renotalk for a couple of weeks and it's amazing what turns up! Anyway, here's the latest... :sport-smiley-018:

The biggest contender right now for the flat-big-enough-to-lose-your-children-in would be this one:

FloorPlan-1.png

Courtesy of The One With The Gargantuan Task

I especially love the attached studio unit with its own kitchenette... It could be turned into an amazing master suite. You could just hide in these and pretend that the rest of your annoying relatives don't even exist! :D

It has three toilets (the importance of this cannot be overstated... especially if you have children!).

And the kitchen can be nicely opened up without much bother at all. Lovely!

And the first runner up for flat-with-more-floor-space-than-the-Singapore-Expo is:

305252_10150327433086306_594401305_8012317_161236252_n.jpg

Courtesy of À La Maison

Pity it has only two toilets (a flat this size really ought to have three, don't you think?).

But the master bedroom is heavenly. More than enough room for a walk-in wardrobe (without having to sacrifice another room), with still enough space left over to do ballroom dancing!

And the kitchen can also be opened up splendidly for an amazingly long island or serving counter... :good:

As anyone who has read this t-blog knows, I have a bit of an obsession with 'pointy flats'. I'm always amazed at exactly why HDB thought they were a good thing... :unsure:

Anyhow, here's a companion to the flat above. This unit (also in Bedok Reservoir View) is almost a mirror image of the one above:

ORIGINALFLOORPLAN.jpg

Courtesy of Where Thou Art, That Is Home

And again, it is Bedroom 2 that suffers...

An interesting variation on the typical EM model:

1-FloorPlanSmall.jpg

Courtesy of Little Monkey's Tree House

The 'study' is actually larger than the 'dining' area (they expect people to study a lot in Bukit Panjang, apparently... :rolleyes: ), there is both a balcony and service balcony (Yay! Somewhere to hang clothes and somewhere to chill out outdoors!), and bedroom 3 actually juts out over the access corridor below (hmmm... no comment!). A very interesting design!

This is the floorplan of the 3rd and the last generation of EMs built. They come with central rubbish chute, hence none in the house.

I like point blocks (for the same reason why I dislike corridor units...). Read that 3 room point blocks are rare? This should be in Mei Ling Street. 76 sqm.

5845ee28.jpg

Unfortunately, the toilet seems to be in dead centre of the house, which is a mega no-no fengshui wise based on my layman knowledge (from reading Joey Yap's book).

Anyone can confirm?

Otherwise I actually quite like the squarish layout as oppose to the usually rectangular 3 room layouts. The bedrooms are much closer to the toilet too (but yeah, the toilet is in the middle of the apartment lor). :unsure: