Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you.

If the renovator kept asking customers for $$, it is to buy time & it obviously shows that his renovation firm is not in good financial standing.

But would you be able to share with all of us the name of your ID firm? Becox this would help the rest of us, including new home owners watch out for this ID firm and to avoid it at all means.

It'll be sinful if such conmen goes around cheating other new home owners.

The information provided in the forum isn't foolproof, meaning that unwanted "surprises" can still take place even with good reviews. So there is also an element of luck in play when it comes to renovation especially due to the fact that manual work is involved.

Did you report the matter to the police? Becox, this is something that amounts to cheating or a scam. To pursue the losses incurred in view of this irresponsible renovator, you would need a police report & it's likely that the police might ask you to pursue the matter in court.

As for the $2k cheque, I didn't quite understand what that was for??

Is it possible for you to put up at your parents' place for the time being & if you are gainfully employed, you should still be able to secure a loan if there are no bad records under your NRIC with the credit bureau.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi, sorry to hear ur story... Can u share what is the company name?? If possible, leave the guy contact number...

I help u call him to scold him... I feel so angry listening to ur story... feel like punching him though money not mine...

I would strongly encourage you to report the matter to the police.

The police should be interested in such cases becox this is outright cheating of $$ and they should liquidate his company & throw these idiots in jail!

1st thing come to my mind: How old 're u?

2nd thing: doing master programme, meaning that must have completed bachelor degree, right? Trying to write a master thesis?

Seemed resources spent in getting bachelor has been wasted.

Never mind, here is Warren Eward Beffet's 10 rules. Old man is always wiser.

http://www.corporateservicecenter.com/nevada-inc-whitepapers_files/buffet_rules_2_success.php

On top of that, he has one unwritten rule: "The second rule is not to forget the 1st rule."

why dun just say the contractor name or company name?

[/qu

the problem is that if the owner say the contractor name they will blame the owner for sabotage them even thought they are in the wrong , but from the way he behave he is those shameless one so he will blame the owner for causing him no business and so no money to compensate or hire worker so better for the owner problem to be solve and hand over and then give them a BIG advertising

I would strongly encourage you to report the matter to the police.

The police should be interested in such cases becox this is outright cheating of $$ and they should liquidate his company & throw these idiots in jail!

Ah muay ooh, seem like you have not "walked in" to any PP or PS to make statements before. SPF "in charges" of "criminals" only.

They are super good at only "making statement" and then politely advise you to engage a lawyer to "fight" to get back what u deem supposed to be yours, understand?

Let me share my "story" with u on SPF:

1. Many yrs ago, car kena breakin, made P report, took photo, kena called up and being "interview" a few times. In the end - no culprit caught, only wasted my precise time.

2. Abt 4yrs ago, company goods get stolen, made P report, this time "heng" only kena "interviewed" via phone a few time. In the end, they never visit the "crime scene" and no culprit caught. Everything like a gust of wind, comes from no where & goes to no where.

3. Just abt 4 months back, pasted a noted on ppl's car windscreen to remind him to park his car properly next time, with my mobile no & car plate no on the note. Received his car asked WHY I pasted the note. Quickly rushed down, his car no more there, but my car got 2 long scratches. So, made P report again with his mobile no and car plate no stating in the statement, eventually??? Wasted my time again, luckily this time, no "interview". P asked me: did u see with yr naked eye he scratched yr car. :furious:

the problem is that if the owner say the contractor name they will blame the owner for sabotage them even thought they are in the wrong , but from the way he behave he is those shameless one so he will blame the owner for causing him no business and so no money to compensate or hire worker so better for the owner problem to be solve and hand over and then give them a BIG advertising

He can say the contractor company and name out... So what if he blame the owner... let him blame loh...

Anyway u really think he is going to retify his issue... doubt so... We shd prevent another victims...

And go to small claim court to claim back ur money.... Dun waste ur time still thinking he will do for u...

nat0206,

Gosh this is serious! N sori to hear that too!

I agreed with fellow forummers here:

1) pls go file a police report immediately!

2) do list out this id n his company here. U might not know if there could be more victims other than yourself being conned by this scammer! If so, it may further strengthen your case against him or otherwise, help prevent others from falling victims to this arseO

Ah muay ooh, seem like you have not "walked in" to any PP or PS to make statements before. SPF "in charges" of "criminals" only.

They are super good at only "making statement" and then politely advise you to engage a lawyer to "fight" to get back what u deem supposed to be yours, understand?

Let me share my "story" with u on SPF:

1. Many yrs ago, car kena breakin, made P report, took photo, kena called up and being "interview" a few times. In the end - no culprit caught, only wasted my precise time.

2. Abt 4yrs ago, company goods get stolen, made P report, this time "heng" only kena "interviewed" via phone a few time. In the end, they never visit the "crime scene" and no culprit caught. Everything like a gust of wind, comes from no where & goes to no where.

3. Just abt 4 months back, pasted a noted on ppl's car windscreen to remind him to park his car properly next time, with my mobile no & car plate no on the note. Received his car asked WHY I pasted the note. Quickly rushed down, his car no more there, but my car got 2 long scratches. So, made P report again with his mobile no and car plate no stating in the statement, eventually??? Wasted my time again, luckily this time, no "interview". P asked me: did u see with yr naked eye he scratched yr car. :furious:

wa bro...thanks for sharing thy stories! seems it is not wrong for some of my frds who often said these 'P'eople work only on 'big cases' which has drawn huge public attention/concern thru the media. else like u mentioned, all interviewings & penning statements & then 'case closed' after some yrs without any outcome :curse:

anyway for this case, the advice to file a police report is jus to 'show' some seriousness in this matter. if not, should this becomes Big, then probably the authority would be questioning:'if so important, then how come u never file any police report when it happens???'...! like that very :bangwall:

Hi, always stick to usual contract method. the rewiring is very expensive. U could have sourced for another electrician to do it ..

Why u would even agree to hold just 5% ?! It is very low. please hold at least 10%.. to have control of the id. the usual is 10% deposit is for tpe drawings and the money to.buy material. so after laying of tiles then u upfront up to 50% .. Before starting of through carpentry another 20 to 30 percentt. upon installing finish the cabinet payment upfront to 90%. the last 10 percent is for

Completion of work and touching up then u pay. follow this for win win

After reading your story, I feel for u. However, there's forever some black sheeps among every profession. Just dunno when u will encounter the black sheeps only. Seems like I will also say the same things as the others Ie: lodge a police report the police will also tell u this is a civil case whereas u have to approach small claims tribunal or get your lawyer to do the necessary actions against the contractor. Since there's a contract signed between u & him, then can consider sue him for breach of agreement and go for compensation.

Cheating doesn't stand as he indeed have started the renovation services. Cheating stands if he took your money but in fact, he did not have the intention or means to carry out your renovation at all. Breach of agreement is the correct terms to use. So the police will not get involved for this kind of case.

Most important thing now is whatever compensation he had promised u, dun agree or sign anything. if u agreed, then even if u sue him, he can defend and say u had already settled the matter and accepted his compensation to him. Why now still sue for more? U wont be able to claim more form him.

After reading your story, I feel for u. However, there's forever some black sheeps among every profession. Just dunno when u will encounter the black sheeps only. Seems like I will also say the same things as the others Ie: lodge a police report the police will also tell u this is a civil case whereas u have to approach small claims tribunal or get your lawyer to do the necessary actions against the contractor. Since there's a contract signed between u & him, then can consider sue him for breach of agreement and go for compensation.

Cheating doesn't stand as he indeed have started the renovation services. Cheating stands if he took your money but in fact, he did not have the intention or means to carry out your renovation at all. Breach of agreement is the correct terms to use. So the police will not get involved for this kind of case.

Most important thing now is whatever compensation he had promised u, dun agree or sign anything. if u agreed, then even if u sue him, he can defend and say u had already settled the matter and accepted his compensation to him. Why now still sue for more? U wont be able to claim more form him.

I would have to agree with you that it is simply a case of contractual dispute more than fraud. Having speak to a lawyer, they have advised me for mediation outside court. Court fees can go beyond $25000 and will drag on. But he say if u believe that your cotractor's business is going boom, then there is no point in suing him as you will not get a single cent out of it. It is only for justice n righteousness. We r not rich ppl, and unfortunately no money no talk. Everyone in the house is so depressed. I hope we never bought the house.

Thank you all for your kind words. Really appreciate it. I decided not to name the ID coz I don't know if I will get into trouble for doing so. Like being sued by him for defamation or something. Although everything is true, i don't want him to hv a hold over me if we ever go to court. Please understand. All I can tell you is that it is not a big firm. One man show, with list of sub cons that he hired to do the work for him.