Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ciligaz

Stainless Steel Will Rust ?

I recently brought a stainless steel kitchen sink from a shop in IMM and noticed that rust start to appear on the sink surface ???

I actually stainless steel will not rust ???? Any advise or comment ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Isit fully 100% stainless steel, or just stainless steel coating? Did you check the product info before purchasing? If it's just coating, once the coating wears off then it's no difference from normal material that could rust. :sport-smiley-018:

Isit fully 100% stainless steel, or just stainless steel coating? Did you check the product info before purchasing? If it's just coating, once the coating wears off then it's no difference from normal material that could rust. :sport-smiley-018:

I must admit that I did not check, but was thinking who in a right state of mind will produce a sink with material that will rust ????

Seems like my assumption was wrong...

I recently brought a stainless steel kitchen sink from a shop in IMM and noticed that rust start to appear on the sink surface ???

SS is not "stain-proof", it is only "corrosion-resistance". Sinks to get rusted is not uncommon.

There are many grades in SS. Forget abt those looked "shinning shinning" surface with no "grain". Those looked a bit non-reflective, dull with "grain" surface are really tokong and expensive.

Compare bolts made of A200, A300 and A400, u will know what I'm talking about.

The fare gates at mrt stns where where u tap you E-Z link card, the cabinet is made of SS316 grade, need diamond-head drill bit to drill hole, highspeed steel drill bit tip get blunted on SS316. I have tried drilled holes on these cabinets some 22 yrs ago.

SS316 needs "sheila shine" to bring out its shine.

Read below to understand more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

http://www.sheilashineinc.com/

stainless steel may rust, but depends... infact, first thing u should check if it is steel or stainless steel. stainless steel will still rust and suseptible to staining like previous poster said, as steel itself is an alloy. there are different grading to it. some can withstand longer, some cannot. some protection is only against watermoiture, if too much water still would rot. some is resistence against water, but not perfume or acid which maybe rather reactive. some like, SS316L is extremely resistence, shinny, high quality and expensive. 1 use of SS316L is to make jewellery, such as ring. go some silver shop and u will find them, they looks a bit different from silver rings, but the price are around the same.

if the problem is not very serious and u just want to have a better look of your sink, u can try to use brasso to polish your sink.

Thanks for all the info and advice...

I brought the sink (its not the shiny type and yes, with grain...) for my new house and have not even move in !

Only use it occassionally (eg once a week) to wash hands, cleaning cloth etc. But after every use when the water

dried up on the sink, some rust will form...

Now thinking of changing the sink... but how to tell if the next stainless steel sink that i'm going to purchase

will be ok ???? All sales staff will tell you stainless steel but how to know the grade ?

If it is stainless steel, you can polish it but if it is chrome to stainless steel finishing, it rust.

For your case, I think it's from the water. Just polish it.

** Stainless steel from Japan has a better quality than those from Finland or Thailand.

Thanks for all the info and advice...

I brought the sink (its not the shiny type and yes, with grain...) for my new house and have not even move in !

Only use it occassionally (eg once a week) to wash hands, cleaning cloth etc. But after every use when the water

dried up on the sink, some rust will form...

Now thinking of changing the sink... but how to tell if the next stainless steel sink that i'm going to purchase

will be ok ???? All sales staff will tell you stainless steel but how to know the grade ?

Continuous straight grain is Hairline finishing, short grain is 4B finishing. Grade 304L is mainly use for residential purpose.

Grade 316L is mostly for chemical industry and marine industry uses.

For fastener like screw, bolt and nut, it's mainly 304 and 316 too.

If your sink is stainless steel in hairlsine finishing, get a pc of wool(brown colour, something like scotchbrite from hardware shop to polish it.

For stuff like toiletries holders and hangers, simply spray clear lacquer on it. Spray several layers for added protection.

Will last longer.

Not a bad idea !

I can't be polishing the sink everyday to remove the rust... a clear lacquer might actually does the job...

Any recommendation on what lacquer to use ?

Not a bad idea !

I can't be polishing the sink everyday to remove the rust... a clear lacquer might actually does the job...

Any recommendation on what lacquer to use ?

errr i dun think i would spray a sink... cus you put things like spoons, cutlery into the sink. The lacquer might be poisonous!

spraying the toilet roll holder, racks for shampoo and shower foam is still ok. Just drop by hardware shops, look under those "nippon spray paints" section. Would certainly have clear lacquer.

I would recommend Autosol which can be bought from hardware shops.

I've polished my stainless steel wares with Autosol & surprisingly, most of the rusty spots came off. Perhaps I'll try it out on IKEA's stainless steel products & see how it works.

I also noticed rust on my brand new Stainless Steel sink and asked the company that sold me and was enlightened :). The staff explained tt as I have just renovate my place and dust from the cabinets/wall tiles cement etc has settled on the sink for some time before I used. He recommended Autosol. Polish this with soft cotton rags n true enough the rusts were removed. :)