Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ciligaz

Stainless Steel Will Rust ?

Is Autosol safe to be used on sink as utensils and maybe food will come into contact with the sink?

I moved into my new house less than a week and see rust in my sink :(

The product description on the website of the shop that I bought my sink from stated it as "stainless steel".

Simply unexpected. This is the first time I have seen kitchen sink that rust. Even the sink that HDB provided in my parents' house did not contain a speck of rust after 20+ years of usage.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Is Autosol safe to be used on sink as utensils and maybe food will come into contact with the sink?

I moved into my new house less than a week and see rust in my sink :(

The product description on the website of the shop that I bought my sink from stated it as "stainless steel".

Simply unexpected. This is the first time I have seen kitchen sink that rust. Even the sink that HDB provided in my parents' house did not contain a speck of rust after 20+ years of usage.

after rubbing autosol with a piece of rag on the rusty spots, use detergent to wash the sink which was what i did.

after rubbing autosol with a piece of rag on the rusty spots, use detergent to wash the sink which was what i did.

Thanks edenstrauss for your reply.

May I know how long have you used Autosol on your sink? Does it protect the sink and cause it to rust lesser?

Any idea which one is less abrasive - Autosol or Brasso?

To make matter worse, my sink in undermount, which makes it harder to replace.

Apply lacquer onto SS?? Without 3M adhesive spray? This is like killing a chick using a "bull knife". Won't last long. Lacquer won't stay on SS surface effectively without adhesis spray(as primer). Further more, lacquer get harden and crack easily.

Apply autosol on "top surface" and " within the sink" ? Not lah, once SS sink is used constantly, no rust lah.

However, the "underneath part" may be rusty which needs autosol. Apply "singal oil" on cloth and rub the underneath part enough liao.

Thanks edenstrauss for your reply.

May I know how long have you used Autosol on your sink? Does it protect the sink and cause it to rust lesser?

Any idea which one is less abrasive - Autosol or Brasso?

To make matter worse, my sink in undermount, which makes it harder to replace.

U r most welcome! :)

I polished the sink on & off using autosol to make the sink shine. However, if u have been consistently using the sink for washing & it still rust, then the quality of your sink is already substandard.

Do u want to use 3M's spray for stainless steel, aluminium & chrome products? U can get it from home-fix stores. Autosol is a cheaper option.

In my case, my sink is "embedded" into the ceramic kitchen console. And yes, there is alot of rust on the underside of the stainless steel sink which is already 18 years old. However, to have to clean it with autosol or other chemicals would definitely be highly challenging. :P

U r most welcome! :)

I polished the sink on & off using autosol to make the sink shine. However, if u have been consistently using the sink for washing & it still rust, then the quality of your sink is already substandard.

Do u want to use 3M's spray for stainless steel, aluminium & chrome products? U can get it from home-fix stores. Autosol is a cheaper option.

In my case, my sink is "embedded" into the ceramic kitchen console. And yes, there is alot of rust on the underside of the stainless steel sink which is already 18 years old. However, to have to clean it with autosol or other chemicals would definitely be highly challenging. :P

What's the function of the 3M spray? Coat the sink for added protection?

Safe enough to be used on the inside of the sink?

What's the function of the 3M spray? Coat the sink for added protection?

Safe enough to be used on the inside of the sink?

The 3M spray is a huge bottle that was recommended to me by the Homefix store @ sengkang's compasspoint when I told them that I wanted something to clean off the stains on my aluminium door frames. The sales rep told me that the 3M spray has been used by customers for cleaning their stainless steel gates & refridgerators.

I would recommend that u visit any one of their stores & tell them that u require it for cleaning off the rust spots on your stainless steel sink, then see what they recommend. And it'll be great if you could share your findings. :)