Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yaolong

À La Maison

Some fellow forumers asked me what my electrician did for my house...

i did the following

balcony

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

1 double 13a socket

maid's room

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

1 double 13a socket

Living Hall

6 new lighting point (downlight)

1 new lighting point (ceiling)

3 new lighting point (cove light)

10 installation of light

Study Room

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

1 double 13a socket

1 new SCV point

1 new LAN point (Cat 6)

Dining Hall

8 new lighting point (downlight)

1 new lighting point (ceiling)

2 new 13a socket

9 installation of light

Bedroom 3

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

2 double 13a socket

1 new SCV point

1 new 15a socket (aircon)

Service Balcony

1 double 13a socket

Common toilet

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

1 new water heater point

Kitchen

2 new lighting point

2 installation of light

4 new double 13a socket

1 new single 13a socket

1 new hood point

Living Hall (TV area)

10 new lighting point (downlight)

1 new lighting point (ceiling 2-way)

11 installation of light

3 new double 13a socket

1 new SCV point

1 new LAN point (Cat 6)

Bedroom 2

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

2 double 13a socket

1 new SCV point

1 new LAN point (Cat 6)

Master Bedroom

2 new lighting point (ceiling)

1 new lighting point (cabinet)

3 installation of light

5 double 13a socket

1 new SCV point

1 new 15a socket (aircon)

1 new LAN point (Cat 6)

Master toilet

1 new lighting point

1 installation of light

1 new water heater point

Miscellanous

1 new 18-way DB box

Earth bonding (Water pipe)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

went shopping for bathroom accessories and these are what we bought...

my kitchen sink

297141_10150318392646306_594401305_7957887_539199612_n.jpg

common toilet sink

298906_10150318393786306_594401305_7957892_2119409092_n.jpg

my wc

314528_10150318393166306_594401305_7957889_2080344788_n.jpg

i chose this coz the flushing system is low enough for my two kids to reach and I can teach them to flush after use...

master toilet sink

315016_10150318394451306_594401305_7957895_1442408285_n.jpg

common toilet water heater

309004_10150318395251306_594401305_7957896_1425032674_n.jpg

master toilet storage tank heater

313145_10150318395981306_594401305_7957897_1845502835_n.jpg

have to use this coz contractor warned me if i used normal water heater, i won't have enough water pressure...

clothes and towel hanger for both toilets

302525_10150318397016306_594401305_7957899_1569823659_n.jpg

my rain shower for master toilet

297509_10150318398246306_594401305_7957905_209002911_n.jpg

Wow - 47K is a steal for jumbo flats. The last time I went round looking for one (just a few months back), COV was ridiculously hover between 60-100K. Congrats!

finally found a place my family likes at Marsiling area... the new house sits nicely on a hilltop and i like the scenery and the fresh air every morning... to be kiasu abit, i actually returned to the place after the first viewing to scout the place... thrice in the morning, thrice in the afternoon and twice in the night... went every floor to see if got ah long problem... talked to the old folks at the void deck about the surroundings and the security of the place...

final verdict... nice place, good security and quiet surroundings... best of all, friendly neighbours...

told my agent i am interested in the place... lucky not sold off yet... seller wanted $65k and the agent claimed that the last offer was $55k... i was like sh*t... my agent told me to try la... i offered $45k initially... but was rejected... i told the seller my final offer is $47k and that's it... the two agents had a long conversation with the seller... and the seller relented... paid $1k immediately... signed all documents and eagerly waited for the deal to close...

Wow - 47K is a steal for jumbo flats. The last time I went round looking for one (just a few months back), COV was ridiculously hover between 60-100K. Congrats!

Thanks! Glad to hear I got it cheap. I think those you saw have at least three toilets and that's the reason why the COV is so high. I recalled I saw somewhere of a floor plan of a jumbo at Blk 8xx but the unit has too many 'black' walls meaning can't hack and this made the unit really small. No point paying a high price for a unit that looks big on floor plan but in actual fact, quite small.

I would get joven or aristone for storage heater..can consider a big heater & use it to provide hot water in kitchen & other toilets.

Yeah, city aluminium is good, price reasonable, happy with them.

I would get joven or aristone for storage heater..can consider a big heater & use it to provide hot water in kitchen & other toilets.

Yeah, city aluminium is good, price reasonable, happy with them.

Initially wanted to get a big storage water heater but the piping from master toilet to common toilet needs to run through the kitchen and service balcony. Ugly sight since we r not doing false ceiling so got two heaters instead.

Ya I agree alex's pricing on the windows, grills, shower screens and doors are reasonably cheap. Most importantly, service is so far so good. Instantly knows the problem when I related to him the seller's problem with the rain 'seeping into the balcony' during rainy days and got my contractor to rectify it. Now waiting for installations.

If you don't mind me asking - how much was the cost of the electrical work?

As for the arrogant ID - at least just give the name of the company - so that reno members can be careful. They don't have any right to curse customers.

I went around asking quotation from the so called big companies - but most marked up their price sky-high because of branding. The free gifts are all shams - I did a rough calculation, we actually pay for all these "free gifts" if we were to agree on engaging them. I had the impression these big companies can offer better deal - but ...

Some fellow forumers asked me what my electrician did for my house...

I was looking at mansionette or executive but COV at about 100k. Ended up, i got a 5 rooms... Hee...

I will be getting my key in Nov and has been asking for quotes. Wanted to ask you, by engaging different contractors, how would we know who to come in first? There will be a lot of coordination from your end?

If you don't mind me asking - how much was the cost of the electrical work?

As for the arrogant ID - at least just give the name of the company - so that reno members can be careful. They don't have any right to curse customers.

I went around asking quotation from the so called big companies - but most marked up their price sky-high because of branding. The free gifts are all shams - I did a rough calculation, we actually pay for all these "free gifts" if we were to agree on engaging them. I had the impression these big companies can offer better deal - but ...

of coz don't mind... it is about $4k+

as for the arrogant ID, the company shares the surname with a popular DJ of YES933 and the DJ is famous for his crossdressing as an auntie... :)

i agree that almost all big companies marked up their prices sky high... :curse:

i take for examples the following: -

polishing of my flooring

ID quotes $2600

Contractor quotes $2000

My contractor quotes $1200

L-box

ID quotes $1300

Contractor quotes $999

My contractor quotes $988

Painting - I have 9 colours and the ceiling is not white

ID quotes me $2300

Contractor quotes me $2000

My contractor quotes me $1800

like a chinese saying 'before you buy, you must compare three shops.'

this is the result of my comparison... :drunk:

i don't mind if the ID charges me design fees but keep the prices reasonable... however not only IDs charge a premium, they over-charge everything...

of coz this is a supply and demand market, there are rich people who wanna pay for a peace of mind and designer's feel in their house... i have a very interesting story to share... :paint:

I have two friends but they don't know each other. Both happened to get a flat around SK area and quite near to each other. I was invited to their housewarming respectively. Friend A boasted about the premium he gladly paid to have a house designed by a famous ID firm. Frankly, his house was really nicely done. Anyone with cash will gladly pay for it.

I then went to Friend B's housewarming... Guess what... Friend B's house is EXACTLY the same design as Friend A's house... to the finest details... even the lights, bathroom accessories and the furnitures are the same... except for some colours... I was shocked...

so i asked Friend B whether he copied any designs from magazines... he said no and his ID designed for him n he loves it so he decided to do the house exactly what the designer proposed... i asked again the name of the ID firm... BINGO! same as Friend A...

until today, i still keep the thing a secret... anyway i was wondering whether the designer used the same template for the houses in SK...

so SK forumers, if u happened to see ur ID in the vicinity, better check out his new project... the next house might look just like yours... :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by yaolong

I was looking at mansionette or executive but COV at about 100k. Ended up, i got a 5 rooms... Hee...

I will be getting my key in Nov and has been asking for quotes. Wanted to ask you, by engaging different contractors, how would we know who to come in first? There will be a lot of coordination from your end?

I learnt the hard way but with good advices from my different contractors, i managed it quite ok now...

the sequence that was proposed by my different contractors

1. demolition work - removal of existing cornices, L-box, built-in cupboards, kitchen cabinets, floor tiles, hacking, etc

2. electrician - removal of wiring and to leave temp supply for contractors

3. haulage

4. tiling (at the same time can change windows and grills)

5. electrician - rewiring

6. air-con (if u wanna hide the piping in false ceiling)

7. put up L-box, cornices, false ceiling

8. kitchen cabinets

9. Plumbing - running of pipes

10. electrician - putting up lights, downlights

11. painting

12. chemical wash

this list might not be accurate... just a guide and it might be wrong too... haha... any experts care to comment and guide us along?

Yaolong, for such huge flats like ours, a lot of $$$ goes into electrical, windows, grilles, plastering etc etc. :bangwall:

You mentioned a massive $4K for rewiring the whole house....:jawdrop: I wish I could do that for my EM. I only rewire 1st level and used back existing cables for 2nd level lor. :sport-smiley-004:

Yaolong, for such huge flats like ours, a lot of $$$ goes into electrical, windows, grilles, plastering etc etc. :bangwall:

You mentioned a massive $4K for rewiring the whole house....:jawdrop: I wish I could do that for my EM. I only rewire 1st level and used back existing cables for 2nd level lor. :sport-smiley-004:

Actually the 'massive $4k' for rewiring is the cheapest quote. I got a friend who did less but was charged more... Haha

Edited by yaolong

I learnt the hard way but with good advices from my different contractors, i managed it quite ok now...

the sequence that was proposed by my different contractors

1. demolition work - removal of existing cornices, L-box, built-in cupboards, kitchen cabinets, floor tiles, hacking, etc

2. electrician - removal of wiring and to leave temp supply for contractors

3. haulage

4. tiling (at the same time can change windows and grills)

5. electrician - rewiring

6. air-con (if u wanna hide the piping in false ceiling)

7. put up L-box, cornices, false ceiling

8. kitchen cabinets

9. Plumbing - running of pipes

10. electrician - putting up lights, downlights

11. painting

12. chemical wash

this list might not be accurate... just a guide and it might be wrong too... haha... any experts care to comment and guide us along?

Thanks so much!!!

My hubby does not want to touch our own cash for the new house and he wants to save part of the sales proceed we got from our current place for the kids, so got to budget our reno. Bad thing is that i need to redo the flooring for the whole house. :(

So i think i may do what you did, approach the different contractors. :)