Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MarcoChan

Minimalist Interior Designs

most internal designers i see in sg really cannot make it. all the ones that can usually done by architect. no mystery there. theres no regulatory board for internal design in singapore. dont even need a cert to be one.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Don't belittle Interior designer, minimalist design can be achieve easily with the right discipline and knowledge , at least for me.

"Ample lighting, clean lines" -- only applies here but are not a criteria at all!

Any pics/examples of minimalist homes that do not have ample lighting and clean lines?

Visual trick number 1: White walls and ceiling with dark flooring makes the room look bigger

Visual trick number 2: Hidden lights reflecting off the wall makes the room look bigger

Visual trick number 3: Suspended furniture which exposes the floor makes the room look bigger

Visual trick number 4: Cover all wirings and imperfections gives the eyes more room to roam around, makes the room look bigger

Verdict: Your ID should really know his stuff

Edited by etc

IDs nowadays think all they need is a checkbox and as long as they've ticked off everything, they've achieved that look. The minimalist approach requires a very disciplined understanding that less is more; no visible wiring, trunking of any sort; functional, beautiful but sleek furniture; some light woods and simple greens to give a bit of warmth. Grey, white and black is a decent palette so start with. I personally like Dwell and Apartment Therapy for design inspiration - they know how to make a house look lived in and mix and match looks quite nicely.

Also I've seen 3D Conceptwerke's work (however you spell that weird company name) and they seem to know their stuff, based on what I saw on the latest Lookbox Living magazine. Maybe you can check them out.

Fa,

thisbtotrendmustdie.wordpress.com

I think you can't blame the ID. Like someone said, people want minimalistic, but they also have a lot of things to store. The designs you see in ID were the designs approved by the homeowners themselves. The homeowners probably wanted it that way.

Don't judge ID based on their display product, ask them to give you an idea what they would recommend, look around and see what they can offer.

But if you have you own idea how you want it to look, go the contractor route then :)

That's what I intend to do, because I already know what I want to do.

Thank you etc for the pointers.

Someoneee..can you share how much is your renovation? I really have alot of "precious junks", you mentioned you have alot of storage space? Can share some photos?