Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yulia

Noisy Neighbour Upstairs

My neighbour staying upstairs (4 room flat) has been conducting dancing classes 5 times a week from 6pm to 8pm. We notice there are about 15 to 20 participants in each classes as we can see the pairs of shoes outside their house.

They do alot of stamping each time, the impact is so strong that we almost go crazy each time they start dancing, even my baby will cry. They almost tear down our roof top. Is it legal to conduct dancing classes at home? Can HDB take actions against them as they are disturbing the peace of others?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Have u ever tried talking to these neighbours above your unit? I'm not sure if it'll work... But I had no idea why can't your neighbour conduct her line-dancing classes at the foyer, community centre or basketball court.

I'm not sure it'll work out if you go upstairs to tell them nicely that you have babies at home & they wake up in fright.

In fact, I think that it's illegal for them to conduct such activities in flats especially when it had caused so much disturbances to neighbours.

If you report the matter to HDB, they will send down the officer whose incharged of your block to visit your neighbour & advise them not to conduct such activities in his/her home.

I believe that if such situation persists, you should call in the police.

But if you neighbours aren't the understanding sort, your situation might worsen if they create more noise or do strange things such as dumping food out of the kitchen window onto your laundry.

When we shifted to our current place (5 room flat) 10 yrs ago, we realised why the previous owners were eager to take off even though they were quite a young couple whose childless.

The unit above ours was occupied by a problematic family with a terrible attitude in life. They threw half eaten pratas, curries, food, sweet wrappers & batteries out of the kitchen windows. The family created noise non-stop from 7am in the morning until 2am. The type of noises include crashing, dragging of furnitures that screeched across our ceiling, stamping of food, slamming of things onto the floor, including bedroom doors in the middle of the night & during the day, etc.

Apparently, they quarrelled with all their immediate neighbours who were staying on the same floor, above them & finally, my hubby went up to speak to them. And the outcome was extremely bad.

The male owner wanted to beat up my hubby; and his mother & his "ah-lian" wife joined in the fray. When we went up a 2nd time, we witnessed the mother coddling & praising her 2 sons who were jumping up & down from the dining table to the floor - and she could tell us that her children were well-behaved.

And the family scolded us hokkien vulgarities & told us to shift out of our flat if we have a "ploblam" (problem). The "ah-lian" wife even asked me if I was a "singaporelian", which I immediately corrected her & told her that I wasn't a singapore-lian like her but a singaporean.

While the fray & disputes were going on, the statue of Goddess of Mercy sitting on their altar was looking through the main door! What an irony!

Edited by edenstrauss

They are not Singaporean, foreigners.

We did not want to talk to them directly because we have many bad experiences with our neighbour in our previous house. That time when we confronted our old neighbour about their leaking air-con then we kena ' fierce revenge' from them everyday from 6am morning to 4am next morning. They ask their kids to stamp the floor at midnight, drag furniture, and hammer their floor, let their cats poo poo outside our main gate. It was a nightmare for us.

Now we shifted to this new house, kena again. So we decided not to confront them ourselves, moreover they are foreigners. However HDB informed us that they can’t do much to the ‘noise’ compare to technical fault like leaking of toilet which has strong evidence etc. In fact, I have feeling police also can't do much because they are not doing illegal things like gambling. They can always denied and tell the police it's a family gathering.

Oh dear, I'm feeling so sorry for your predicament.

But I think that it's the HDB officer's responsibility to mediate between the 2 families when there are such disputes.

Would you mind sharing with me which estate are you currently staying at? Becox your officer seems to have a lousy working attitude. Sorry about my being so candid about it.

Our officers in our estate are our blessing becox we have a very committed officer whose elderly & experienced. Good thing that he didn't leave residents out in the cold when we brought up problems to him. Both my hubby & myself were terribly shocked over their volume & nature of work: each tech officer is incharge of 40 over block of flats & apart from technical issues, they had to chase for arrears, talk to neighbours who were causing disturbances to others, etc.

Are those foreigners owners of the unit above yours owners or tenants? And how long has this problem been on-going?

I'm feeling disappointed that your HDB officer refused to do anything. Have u tried to bring up this matter to your MP?

Our young HDB officer keeps telling us he can't do much as our neighbour denied despite we took pictures to show them about the gathering. He said he needs time to investigate lor which has already been 2 months and we never heard from him. Actually common sense what's there to investigate. He like keeps avoiding us lor, dun want to reply us. So we thou' seek help from his manager directly.

The classes started about 6 months ago. We suspect they are owner with PR. We thou of seek MP help also. Every month we pay conservancy fees, we deserve something better. :(

I felt very sorry for you & your family becox I went thru such ordeals 10 yrs ago with nasty neighbours who threatened to beat us up.

Since that HDB officer isn't doing his job, you have to try other avenues but did u manage to see this HDB officer's manager (branch office manager)?

U need not call that useless HDB officer anymore since he's not even doing his job properly - calling him further is akin to talking to the wall as there's no response at all.

I think u could also complain to the QSM hotline via email or phonecall that this HDB officer isn't working but playing punk with residents like yourself.

Tell him/ her that you would be consulting the MP, and in worse scenarios, you would be calling in the press (chinese reporters) to your home & producing those photographs as evidence against those inconsiderate people staying upstairs. And tell the QSM staff how u guys were treated by the HDB officer.

You might think I'm being nasty but when the situation is such that you're already driven to the edge, then, U have the right to take drastic measures but of course, legitimate methods must be used. Not those sneaky, illegal ways that would get you guys into trouble with the law.

Edited by edenstrauss

We have been calling him and sending him email but he just refuse to reply.

We just reminded him 2 days ago but still no reply. We will wait, if situation still the same then we forward those reminder emails which we have sent to him earlier to his branch manager. In worse scenarios, if his manager attitude is still the same then we will feedback to our MP.

Thanks for all your advice!

Hi yulia,

do u guys want to alert the HDB QSM hotline immediately? QSM = Quality Service Manager. In the government sector, this line is manned by people from the PR department & they are there to help when these avenues are shut down, not wroking out.

When you complain to the MP, the procedure is such that the MP would get his/her grassroots people to write a letter for him to sign off & send it to HDB. HDB would then reply you accordingly. My friends explained to me that's about it.

In order not to waste time putting up with the noise pollution, call up the HDB QSM hotline & tell them what's going on & see if this would help.

I jux googled up this link for u:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10320p.nsf/w/ContactUsGeneral?OpenDocument

scroll down to a section that says:

"QSM Line

For feedback on HDB services, you may dial our toll-free QSM line at 1800-866-3063 (Weekdays: 8.30am - 5.00pm) or fax to 6490-1033. You may also email us at qsm@hdb.gov.sg or send us an E-Feedback Form."

Hope that the QSM hotline could take ur complaint from there & assist you.

best wishes!

Edited by edenstrauss

Wow!!! I support you arh.. This must stop.. In the worst case, their flat may be taken back by the HDB.

Go Go Go!

Video record the noise when that happens. Next, wait outside your neighbour's house at a discreet corner. While waiting to film the number of people walking out of the house, film the number of shoes outside. Repeat the same process a few times to show the HDB officer that this isn't a one-off incident.

All else fails, seek help from your MP coz your neighbour can't cast a vote in the next GE. :sport-smiley-018:

Why can't the neighbour cast a vote in the next upcoming GE?

MPs have to weigh their actions carefully becox whatever that they do, might jux mean winning some & losing others... Very tricky situation.

Why can't the neighbour cast a vote in the next upcoming GE?

MPs have to weigh their actions carefully becox whatever that they do, might jux mean winning some & losing others... Very tricky situation.

can foreigner vote? well, not unless FT becomes LT? :sport-smiley-018: