Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
easyeasy

Need Help Seriously!

dear all,

my house reno works almost completed but i found out a serious problem, my wardrobe not in parallel line!

i told my designer & the carpenter the problem, but both of them said they can't do anything as it's my WALL problem...

i'm so confused and i don't know who & what is right...

my wardrobe - right hand side

293619_10150352849483307_846653306_8094826_74699832_n.jpg

measure to the nearest tile

302148_10150352849103307_846653306_8094821_44102530_n-1.jpg

my wardrobe - left hand side

320168_10150352849383307_846653306_8094825_2101570703_n.jpg

measure to the nearest tile

302660_10150352849258307_846653306_8094823_950703669_n-1.jpg

and this photo shows - DIFFERENCE OF 2.5 INCHES

321085_10150352849333307_846653306_8094824_2007504083_n-1.jpg

is this true that they can't do anything with it?

i can't accept their explanation!

it's a custom made wardrobe but totally not fit at all, and it's affect our visual! WHAT A DESIGNER WORK!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi easy, I have the same problem too. I first notice this problem when they installed my gate.... I realize the gate is not parallel with the wall, leaving a big gap. For this they patch the gap with wood. For bedroom wall, same problem, wall is slanted, good thing I don't have any build in wardrobe.

Not sure if anything can be done to rectify slanted wall problem.... Tear down the wall and build a new wall???

Is the wall behind the waredrobe straight? My bathroom wall is actually not straight (HDB's fault since they built the flat), we only realised this after our laminates were installed, and we realised that the skirting on the wall is not parallel to the laminate edges.

Hi Easy,

This is very common issue with old flats. There is nothing that can be done at the stage already unless u are willing to redo the wardrobe or redo the wall. Sorry to say that.

Hi easy, I have the same problem too. I first notice this problem when they installed my gate.... I realize the gate is not parallel with the wall, leaving a big gap. For this they patch the gap with wood. For bedroom wall, same problem, wall is slanted, good thing I don't have any build in wardrobe. Not sure if anything can be done to rectify slanted wall problem.... Tear down the wall and build a new wall???

Can u post pic of the entire wardrobe for better understanding ?

Is the wall behind the waredrobe straight? My bathroom wall is actually not straight (HDB's fault since they built the flat), we only realised this after our laminates were installed, and we realised that the skirting on the wall is not parallel to the laminate edges.

Hi Kobelala,

i will try to take photo & post it later...

perhaps with the below photo, you may have better understanding

321085_10150352849333307_846653306_8094824_2007504083_n-1-1.jpg

Hi Potatoes & Strikingreality,

I seek advice from few friends, all of them said this can be done! but it might affect the internal... which i think i can afford it...

the very important point is, before the sub-con install the wardrobe, they should come to us & tell us the wardrobe will be slated because of the wall. then it's up to us to decide whether to leave it slant or make it straight... but they NEVER... :curse:

i will talk to the "designer" and i will insist to make it STRAIGHT!!!

or else, i don't PAY :notti:

normal for hdb/condo. nothing much u can do. but if u can plan from the start, the non-parallel wall/floor edge can be "hidden" by larger furnitures like wardrobe, bed, sofa, cabinets, carpets, etc, u can tell ur ID/contractor to start with a datum edge.

Hi Kobelala,

i will try to take photo & post it later...

perhaps with the below photo, you may have better understanding

321085_10150352849333307_846653306_8094824_2007504083_n-1-1.jpg

Hi easyeasy,

I understand what u mean but i need to see the whole wardrobe and side walls to have better understanding , whether is it that the tiles are not in line, because the tiler take datum from wall, or the cabinet doors are not in line.. ....

Hi actually is quite common la in hdb even in new flats.. My wall height also not straight so affecting the measurement of my wooden blind by a few cm..

normal for hdb/condo. nothing much u can do. but if u can plan from the start, the non-parallel wall/floor edge can be "hidden" by larger furnitures like wardrobe, bed, sofa, cabinets, carpets, etc, u can tell ur ID/contractor to start with a datum edge.

Hi easyeasy,I understand what u mean but i need to see the whole wardrobe and side walls to have better understanding , whether is it that the tiles are not in line, because the tiler take datum from wall, or the cabinet doors are not in line.. ....

Hi actually is quite common la in hdb even in new flats.. My wall height also not straight so affecting the measurement of my wooden blind by a few cm..

Hi Kobelala,

it's certainly the wall problem...

just now try to take photo with my phone but it has no 'wide angle lens' :P

maybe tomorrow night, after work :)

Hi Neubie & JX83,

i know it's normal, but if they inform me before the installation, the outcome will be different...

i brought one of my friends, who knows carpentry, to my house and show him all the carpentry works, his comment = NO GOOD!!!

i felt like :bangwall:

he said it should be parallel... so it's won;t affect the 美感...

he said if all the wall is slant, does it mean all the custom made carpentry go slant also?

i found his point is right...

whatever it is, i will fight for the 'STRAIGHT'

To easyeasy, from the left-view, the cabinet is in CORRECT aligment with the wall. if u want to do it flush, starting from the left, u will realise at the end, at the right hand side, the cabinet will be less deeper by 3 inches. when that happens, can u still put in yr hanger?

The difference is 3 inches. if not, u can do the cabinet protuding out from the left-side wall, so that u can put yr hanger on all side.

From what i read, all i feel is, if u dun pay for the cabinet, u will be ok.

it means u can be 'bought' with money to accept this so-called defects.

btw, yr friend who claim such quality carpentry is lousy, its VERY common ppl will say OTHERS ARE LOUSY, THEIRS ARE GOOD.

if yr friend is good, why dun u use yr friend right from the start?

Hi Easyeasy, I think is very common to have slant wall in hdb... my new flat oso slant wall...

I oso feel that u shd not take ur frd comment to heart... he can say others is no good...

Have u seen his job? U7sing a mouth to say is easy... if he is the one doing, maybe it might turn out worse...

Anyway i do hope u able to straighten ur wall... let us know how u do it...

Hi Easyx2, Pardon me for guessing, looking at the photos i noticed that the Tiler layed its starting line from Living's main door (or what)? if you are able to take a photo on the wall & floor line behind the wardrobe, then we can tell whether it is parallel wall or not, alternative you may take a shot on the wall & floor line behind this wall...

there might come with another problem, maybe your floor line were not parallel from the starting point?