Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

PROBLEM STIFFENER

Okay, since it's a wet Tuesday afternoon, I shall share a lil about this problem we are currently having, bearing in mind we already have a time constraint before works even started.

CIMG0425-1.jpg

This pillar here is a stiffener (HDB lingo). And on HDB's original floor plan, it's a solid black line. By right, it cannot be hacked. But my upstairs neighbour and downstairs neighbour both have had this hacked away. How this could have been missed during the first application for hacking, is really another long story. :bangwall:

So anyway, if we want to hack this away, we will need a QP (qualified person) to come in to endorse that this wall is safe to hack. My dad, being in the construction business, knows someone who can endorse for us. When I spoke with HDB, HDB says we need to apply to hack this first, then get QP to endorse then they will approve. Since the HDB TO (technical officer) already knows me (he even knows my unit number now after I tell him my name), he said he will expedite for me to HQ to get it approved upon receiving our application to hack.

When we told the ID two weeks back to submit for us, I even told him that QP side and HDB don't have to worry cos I already cleared with both sides. All I need is for him to submit. :deal:

Been chasing him the past two weeks to submit, he told me on two separate occasions that they have already submitted. But each time I call HDB, the TO is so nice to check for me and tell me not yet received. The last straw came yesterday when HDB TO called me to tell me still not yet submitted. I sent my ID 2 harsh-toned messages and ask for a decent explanation. No reply. One more this morning and he's finally doing something about it. No word of apology, no word of explanation. Just asked to meet my QP to sign some forms then they will submit today.

He got the forms mixed up and insisted the form came from the QP. Nevermind, so my dad sent him down to meet the QP to explain the form should come from QP. But actually, the form could be downloaded from HDB. That's what I found out simply by googling "HDB QP form". If he'd done his homework as well, my dad wouldn't be making another trip right now to pick up the form from him to give the QP and send the form back to him. :angry2:

HDB TO just called me again, cos I wanted to make sure that only 2 items needed to be submitted. He checked with his colleagues and got back to me. Hopefully after this, things will go smoothly.

I'm just pissed :angry: because if all these had happened 2 weeks ago, my flooring won't have any delay. Right now, when the uncles do the floor tiles this week, they have to work around the pillar because hacking that stiffener will damage the floor tiles around it. The uncles know i'm pissed with the delay so they try to be nice and say it's okay, they just work around it while we wait for the approval. So nice right? :) But all these are time wasted and works delayed, albeit only slightly (i hope). And lots of legwork and support from our end.

That said, the workmanship and scheduling works are still not too bad considering ours is quite rushed. Everyone has their bad days (in the case of the ID, it's weeks :rolleyes: ). I will cut the ID some slack and hope the big guy above will cut me some if ever my time comes. ;)

Edited by schiz0id

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi buddy,

I'm sure things would be fine... don't worry too much :)

If your neighbours have had theirs hacked off successfully, I don't see why it wouldn't be approved in your case. It's matter of timing. You'll jux have to chase the relevant channels diligently.

And with such a formidable team working under your ID, I didn't think that there is any cause for concern.

:dancingqueen:

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi buddy,

I'm sure things would be fine... don't worry too much :)

If your neighbours have had theirs hacked off successfully, I don't see why it wouldn't be approved in your case. It's matter of timing. You'll jux have to chase the relevant channels diligently.

And with such a formidable team working under your ID, I didn't think that there is any cause for concern.

:dancingqueen:

Yeah, I have no doubt it'll be hacked. I'm just upset about time wasted and the fact that it was such a simple task of submission. Oh well, looking ahead! ;)

Just Hack It!

Jon

Hey neighbour!

I also want.. But my ID so scared die. Even when I've gotten verbal confirmation for widening door, he still wanna wait for official letter before hacking. This one needs QP, you think he will hack? Ha! :lol:

TEMPORARY DOOR

Not much happening in the house today. One uncle was unwell so not around. Grouting went up onto the kitchen today. Some new walls had the 2nd layer of cement on. My parents' dry bathroom area was almost all tiled up. Will take the pics tomorrow when less people are walking around (aircon people came to do the water pipe).

Anyway, the temporary door came today and was put up during lunchtime.

CIMG0440.jpg

New temp door that was very w i d e. :good: Under the uncle's request cos he said it was easier for him to do the door frame area instead of knocking against the temp door.

CIMG0439.jpg

It even comes with a makeshift handlebar! How innovative. Ha! :P

Mid-week tomorrow. I doubt the floor tiles will be done by this Sat. Stil hoping! :)

Just Hack It!

Jon

i totally agree with jonnybravo - Just HECK It! :sport-smiley-004:

you are a super tolerant client!! :bow: i think i would have rawrrrr :furious: at the ID. oh wells, i'm sure all the nice uncles doing your reno made up for it! :lol:

My hacking application delayed for 6 weeks. until i cannot tahan then i call up HDB, he said that he first day already replied to the contractor to resubmit with new drawings. Fortunately, i not rushing to move in yet.

i totally agree with jonnybravo - Just HECK It! :sport-smiley-004:

you are a super tolerant client!! :bow: i think i would have rawrrrr :furious: at the ID. oh wells, i'm sure all the nice uncles doing your reno made up for it! :lol:

The uncles are really so nice. I think i'll miss having people to talk to when i'm there. The plaster people look like a bunch of stressed up young dudes. Probably seeing alot of them next week :P

My hacking application delayed for 6 weeks. until i cannot tahan then i call up HDB, he said that he first day already replied to the contractor to resubmit with new drawings. Fortunately, i not rushing to move in yet.

Hi dinobros,

Thanks for sharing :) Hope you got the issue ironed out already. How did you deal with your contractor?

I've come to realise that HDB actually works quite fast cos everything is now done online - immediate. Another HDB officer was telling me, that for very minor permits, they usually need just 1 working day to approve. :good:

I don't know why ID/contractors want to delay hacking works when that's one of the earliest things they should get out of the way for the rest of the works to proceed smoothly. :bangwall:

OLD ESTATE PROBLEM

I had hoped it wouldn't come down to this but since it has surfaced during renovations, I guess we're lucky it's not immediately after renovations... :unsure:

Found this today while on-site.

CIMG0454.jpg

I was immediately taken aback by the green spots.

CIMG0460.jpg

A closer look at it. Sure looks like water leakage problems from upstairs.

DSC_6771.jpg

When I compare with the Before Reno shots that we took, it's evident the brown patch was there but not the green algae-looking spots.

Will be calling up town council tomorrow. My ID says he will try to see if the upstairs owner around before I speak to town council. (Note: Upstairs and downstairs all doing renovations) Anyone knows how this matter will be rectified? :help:

TILING WORKS

This is the final lap of the tiling works for the walls. :sport-smiley-003:

CIMG0445.jpg

Wall tiling in my parents' bathroom is complete. Now left the floor tiles. :)

CIMG0448.jpg

Tiling in the common toilet is all complete, even the floor tiles have gone on! ;)

CEMENT WORKS

CIMG0456.jpg

All the walls have been given their 2nd layer of cement (the smooth mix).

CIMG0451.jpg

Even the kitchen wall where the full-height cabinets are going to be, has also been given the complete works! [Notice the things have now been shifted here because the floor screed will happen in the living area tomoro ;) ]

FLOOR TILING

CIMG0457.jpg

The floor tiles for the bedrooms are being measured and marked. Should be happening tomoro! :sport-smiley-004:

There are some lil hiccups here and there and now with the water leakage problem I hope there won't be any delays. Brrr..... :unsure:

Edited by schiz0id

I had a similar problem sometime back. Neighbour downstairs complained about their leaking toilet roof. My parents called town council to see if they could do the repairs. Town council classified the problem as a regular wear and tear. In the end, the repair bill was spilt 50-50 between my parents and the neighbour.

Guess the best way is to give town council a call. See what they can do for you. If they can repair, all the better. Otherwise, they will be a good neutral party to speak to the neighbour on your behalf. I think the leaky roof is a common problem for old estates. Don't worry! ;)

Oh meantime, while you are it, check the house for other areas which may have the leaky roof problem, especially around the toilet areas. Take a stick and poke around at the ceiling. If it's starting to leak, the paint will fall off easily.

Ha i'm no expert at leaky roofs, just that I live on the top level of a HDB block and am used to such situations :P

I had a similar problem sometime back. Neighbour downstairs complained about their leaking toilet roof. My parents called town council to see if they could do the repairs. Town council classified the problem as a regular wear and tear. In the end, the repair bill was spilt 50-50 between my parents and the neighbour.

Guess the best way is to give town council a call. See what they can do for you. If they can repair, all the better. Otherwise, they will be a good neutral party to speak to the neighbour on your behalf. I think the leaky roof is a common problem for old estates. Don't worry! ;)

Oh meantime, while you are it, check the house for other areas which may have the leaky roof problem, especially around the toilet areas. Take a stick and poke around at the ceiling. If it's starting to leak, the paint will fall off easily.

Ha i'm no expert at leaky roofs, just that I live on the top level of a HDB block and am used to such situations :P

Thanks dear :)

From what you mentioned, I think it may be more than one area then.. :o

Sigh....... :wacko:

I just want to check.. If the paint is peeling but no water, is that an impending sign of things to come? :o

I must put a very huge disclaimer that I am no expert in this area :P it's all from observations. Guess you hafta check the "quality" of the peeling paint. The peeling paint for the area that's leaking is usually uneven and has this "bubbly" looking surface, not a flat piece. Hope this helps :)